Frozen beef fat and venison

Bones

I was fortunate enough to get a couple of deer and want to grind and add beef fat for my son. My question is. Can I freeze the beef fat then thaw it out and grind and with the venison and refreeze it again. I have heard yes and no and need an answer.

Thank you in advance
Bones

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've done it for years. I cut it up in pieces that are still half frozen . Keep ice crystal in it. Both deer and fat grinds much better half frozen. Just my 2 cents.
This , you can cut the fat in small pieces while it’s still pretty much frozen and grind it frozen. I only add fat for burgers

GSUQUAD

Yep, got 7 lbs in the freezer from the local butcher waiting for just that. When I can muscle a giant blade through the frozen fat or frozen deer meat, I cut it then and grind it just like that. It does grind a lot better

Glenn

I went to using bacon in all of my burger and sausage. Just didn’t care for beef fat.

chrislibby88

Don’t thaw it all the way. It won’t grind as well. Works best when it’s still mostly frozen. Keep that meat almost frozen too or as cold as you can keep it.

And yes, you can thaw/refreeze. Won’t hurt anything. There’s some risk of bacterial growth when you thaw meat, especially down to room temp, but with grind or sausage or something you cook fully it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t thaw/refreeze steaks or something cooked rare, but grind is fine.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Grind the fat partially frozen and then freeze it in a gallon bag, but don't compress the pellets at all. Once it's frozen good you can hit the bag with a meat hammer and you'll have loose, frozen fat pellets. When you thaw out a pack of ground venison just add 20% fat pellets, or whatever your preference, and mix them in. This way you can adjust the percentage for each meal and you don't need to thaw and refreeze your deer meat.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was fortunate enough to get a couple of deer and want to grind and add beef fat for my son. My question is. Can I freeze the beef fat then thaw it out and grind and with the venison and refreeze it again. I have heard yes and no and need an answer.

Thank you in advance
Bones
Yasss! :clap: