Garage Door Opener Problem

Local Boy

Wayne Dalton garage door opener. After late afternoon, opener has no response from wall button or remote. Opener will return to working late night or next morning. Disengaging from door has no effect. Blocked or misaligned sensor will (normally) allow the door to open and will attempt to close momentarily. So sensors don’t seem to be the problem. Seems to be temperature related. We are in the mountains, so temps are relatively mild.

Any ideas?

sinclair1

Any sun hitting the sensor when you have problems? I can’t close mine at 10am until the sun moves off the sensor. In Woodstock I would have trouble with the dew in the morning on one side causing the sensor to not read.

If this just popped up and you haven’t cut a tree or brush it’s probably another age issue.

Local Boy

I looked at sun effects. The problem occurs when the door has been closed all day or open during the day.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Look for a loose connection at the terminal strip on the operator.

kmaxwell3

Mine was doing similar things. Changed the sensors at bottom of door and it fixed the problem.

trial&error

Most likely a bad connection, or intermittent connection. I would try redoing all connections. Start with the sensor connection by the door.

Last edited:

Local Boy

Opener stopped working one early afternoon. I removed the opener end cover, exposing the circuit board. The opener worked within a few minutes. I ordered a circuit board from eBay. No opener problems since replacement. Even with warmer temperatures. I bought a used ($25) board rather than new ($115) since the opener is 26 y/o.

zydgins

Your Wayne Dalton mystery got me thinking. Had a similar prob with my garage door in the mountains. Turned out, my opener was playing hide-and-seek based on the temps too! No response in the afternoon, but a midnight magic show. Weird, huh? I did some sleuthing and found that sometimes high-speed doors, like the industrial champs at www.enerco.co.uk, share a bit of tech magic. Maybe worth a look? Sensors in those doors can be finicky in changing temps. Also, check if there's any electrical interference nearby – my friend's toaster played havoc with his opener once!

Last edited:

DannyW

Same here...about 4-5 years ago my opener started acting quirky. In fact, I posted about it on this board. In the warmer summer months I have to pull right up next to the door to get it to open.

In the cooler fall/winter months, it will open from a couple houses up the street.

I'm just going to ride it out until it completely fails, then replace it.

TJay

Some openers will allow you to do a "hard open" by pushing the button and holding it down. If it opens it would probably be the sensors.