Garmin advice

jfinch

I have a new boat with 2 Garmin 942XS MFD's and a B60 thru hull transducer. I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to side imaging or go straight to the panoptix. I fish mainly fish Lanier for striped bass with the occasional trip to the coast for some saltwater. Boat is only 21' so saltwater won't be real deep fishing less than 200'. Side imaging will require a black box/transducer combo. I have looked at the GCV20 and it looks good but seems limited to real shallow depths. The GCV10 looks like it gets more depth and range but gives up some detail compared to the GCV20. Then there is the Panoptix option, it's 3 times the cost and then there is the question of where to mount the transducer. I will have a Minn Kota Ulterra Trolling motor and that is an option or mount it on the transom but lose the ability to aim it an look. Those that have used these what is your opinion of the best option for the style of fishing I described?

Liquid nails

I have a airmar B150 in my hull. That’s what was on my Key West from the factory. I used it a a lot on my Garmin 94SV. Bought the multi use black box Garmin ducer and hung it on the rear. While I don’t cruise around and look for fish, I mainly use the down imaging and side scan to pick out where I will anchor up and cut bait for stripers. Where the airmar is more defined “chirp” wise than the Garmin transducer, that down imaging will tell you if it’s a tree, rock, dead body, ect. Chirp will guess and show something fuzzy. I’ve got a buddy with the panoptix. If I’m anchored up I’m not moving. If I’m pulling planers I usually have 4 off each side. The panoptix just wouldn’t do me any good. I can buy a lot of bait for that price!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I've used the Panoptix since early May and it is eye opening. From catching bait to finding fish, it has been unreal. The perspective mode which is basically live side imaging (180 degree view whichever way you are pointing) is the mode that I have used most often. I used it in late May to cast to individual stripers on a shallow river flat that you would have never seen otherwise.

jfinch

Dustin,

How do you have the transducer mounted? I have the Ulterra trolling motor can't see a good way to mount it. I don't really want it on a pole mount and I am guessing you lose a lot of the usefulness of it if I put it on the transom.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It is mounted to the trolling motor. The Ulterra looks like it might cause an issue, but a quick search shows some aftermarket mounts available. Transom mount I wouldn't even think about. I do know some with homemade pole mounts and they work very well.

JROESEL

Dustin,

How do you have the transducer mounted? I have the Ulterra trolling motor can't see a good way to mount it. I don't really want it on a pole mount and I am guessing you lose a lot of the usefulness of it if I put it on the transom.

Don’t put it on your trolling motor, when it’s on spot lock, where ever the head spins, the transducer spins, do a independent mount where you can set it and turn it how ever you want, I did a pvc pole mount with a ram mount, its easy to stow and deploy, I did just pull the trigger on a unit that mounts directly to my garmin force, Allaboardmarine.com, I do believe they make a mount for the ulterra too, if you don’t like that one, cornfield crappie has one too