***General Discussion Weather Thread #9 2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I sure could use about 4 inches of snow down here along the Kinchafoonee Creek for the next few days.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Great! Can't wait to be in Norcross in the morning at 10:00 then head back to Acworth.
Shouldn't be an issue, other than a mix potentially falling. Current ground temps here at the Casa de Miggy are at an even 53.0°f. Road temps are even higher.

If you want near guaranteed fun, head to Scaly Friday for some tubing on fresh snow on Saturday. Roads might be a little iffy if you try to drive it Saturday, with wetness and freezing temps overnight on Friday, could be a slick patch or two.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
So are all the models on board with this now and if so...why dont the local mets talk more about it ?

Waiting on development. You don't make a forecast off of just one set of model runs. It will bite you in the hiney everytime. ;) They are watching the amplitude of the cold air aloft coming out of the Great Lakes as well. It is the ingredient that will make or break this event.

Based on history and archives, this one has a high potential for a bust.

RinggoldGa

In my uneducated opinion. . . .it's Georgia, in early December. Until you have a white coating in your yard the odds are forever going to be greater for a cold rain than any frozen precip.

Most of us have 40+ years of disappointment backing up this principle. :mad:

But I enjoy all the hoping and wishing going on here. :D

Waiting on development. You don't make a forecast off of just one set of model runs. It will bite you in the hiney everytime. ;) They are watching the amplitude of the cold air aloft coming out of the Great Lakes as well. It is the ingredient that will make or break this event.

Based on history and archives, this one has a high potential for a bust.

and boom goes the dynamite !

olered

Not a very fun drive when the roads are dry! I keep having flashbacks of Snowmageddon when I left for Acworth from Loganville and finally just went to sleep in the truck 9 hours later. I know this is completely different though.

olered

I remember my freshman year of high school (2000) it snowed the day before Christmas break and the day of finals and they closed schools. I got two whole weeks to study for algebra and still failed it and the class when we came back from break.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Not a very fun drive when the roads are dry! I keep having flashbacks of Snowmageddon when I left for Acworth from Loganville and finally just went to sleep in the truck 9 hours later. I know this is completely different though.

Yep, if this was January it'd be a different story.

I remember my freshman year of high school (2000) it snowed the day before Christmas break and the day of finals and they closed schools. I got two whole weeks to study for algebra and still failed it and the class when we came back from break.

I'm right there with you on the Algebra. Whatever idiot dreamed up mixing the alphabet with numbers oughta be tied between two horses and pulled apart, slowly. :D

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Maue just posted a new map on Twitter. Looks like NWGA gets in on the slop afterall. :bounce:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Added ECMWF 3-hourly precipitation type for U.S. 50-states + United Kingdom to https://t.co/HVbURpELhJ (@WeatherdotUS) to highlight likelihood of frozen-type precip over Southeast U.S. on Friday. pic.twitter.com/AFrCnc6vnf</p>— Ryan Maue | weather.us (@RyanMaue) December 7, 2017</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RinggoldGa

Maue just posted a new map on Twitter. Looks like NWGA gets in on the slop afterall. :bounce:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Added ECMWF 3-hourly precipitation type for U.S. 50-states + United Kingdom to https://t.co/HVbURpELhJ (@WeatherdotUS) to highlight likelihood of frozen-type precip over Southeast U.S. on Friday. pic.twitter.com/AFrCnc6vnf</p>— Ryan Maue | weather.us (@RyanMaue) December 7, 2017</blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Right on the razors edge up here south of Chattanooga. Need just a bit more creep.

I know the guy that has to make the call for our local schools. May have to call and give him a hard time.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
I will explain in more detail later, but this is my initial guess.

Attachments

• Call Map_1a.jpg
    Call Map_1a.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 443
Status
Not open for further replies.