**** General Weather Discussion Thread #8 2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
The Metshack is updated. Basically went with what will keep this from happening. That's the question mark right now.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
18Z NAM backs off the totals a little... still same general idea.

Attachments

• NAM18Z.png
    NAM18Z.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 236

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s 51 here but it for sure feels colder.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Due to ground temps, surface temps and evaporation... I think we are probably only looking at 1-2" where it's heaviest. I think we will see places that have 5" fall out of the sky but only measure 1".

HuntinMaconCO

I have read back through the post but, may have missed it. What is the timing on all this?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Due to ground temps, surface temps and evaporation... I think we are probably only looking at 1-2" where it's heaviest. I think we will see places that have 5" fall out of the sky but only measure 1".

I measured a ground temp of 55°f at 2:15 today. Will check it again in the morning. Surface temps have fallen 5°f since noon today. Should be interesting.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Boys and girls... get a load of the high resolution NAM now that it's in range.

Attachments

• NAM_highres_18z.png
    NAM_highres_18z.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 358

Trigabby

I remember back at the snow jam, '82.. I was playing softball that morning and the temp was in the low 60's if memory serves... By 1 pm, we were sliding in the snow on the way home and I was still wearing shorts... Rates will be the difference maker here, I believe...

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I remember back at the snow jam, '82.. I was playing softball that morning and the temp was in the low 60's if memory serves... By 1 pm, we were sliding in the snow on the way home and I was still wearing shorts... Rates will be the difference maker here, I believe...

You are 100% correct. The higher the humidity the faster the convective cooling will take place at the surface.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
So the Kuchera Ratio is probably a "safe" way to go. This is off the 3K NAM.

If you know where you live you can roughly figure out how much it says you will cash in on.

News outlets are not going all in yet and there is a lot of information flying. It's going to be an interesting event for sure.

Attachments

• PIV_18zNAM.png
    PIV_18zNAM.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 349
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts