Georgia emissions requirement new car

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
If you buy a brand new car from a dealer do you have to get emissions checked to get a tag ?

Big7

The Oracle
Probably has to do with what county you are in.

I had to do it in Rockdale but not in Walton.

ryanh487

You shouldn't have to. New cars are every other year. Diesels of all types are exempt, and so are all vehicles over 8000 lbs. Basically any 3/4 ton or larger truck.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Found it.

Coweta county

EMISSIONS

• For 2023 renewals, Annual Emission Testing is required for 1999-2020 year model vehicles (2021 and newer models are exempt from testing for 2023 renewals). The test is valid for 12 months from the date of the test and is good for one renewal only. If the vehicle fails the test, you must have it repaired and retested before you can register the vehicle. It is recommended that emission testing be performed 30 to 60 days before your birthday.

DannyW

Son just bought a used car. I asked about emissions. Salesman said he couldn't sell a car, new or used, unless it passed an emissions test. Said it was illegal. Not sure of the county, this was the Infiniti dealership, off PIB and just inside I-285.

Emissions testing makes no sense. If you live in Jackson county, and drive into Gwinnett county every day for work, you are not required to pass emissions test.

If you live in Gwinnett county, but drive out to Jackson county every day for work, you are required to pass an emissions test.

Huh??? :huh:

huntfish

Son just bought a used car. I asked about emissions. Salesman said he couldn't sell a car, new or used, unless it passed an emissions test. Said it was illegal. Not sure of the county, this was the Infiniti dealership, off PIB and just inside I-285.

Emissions testing makes no sense. If you live in Jackson county, and drive into Gwinnett county every day for work, you are not required to pass emissions test.

If you live in Gwinnett county, but drive out to Jackson county every day for work, you are required to pass an emissions test.

It's all based on the annual Clean Air Act samples. Gwinnett is in a non-attainment area and hence the emission test. Jackson samples are good, so is Barrow and Hall.

Meriwether Mike

You are exempt from the emissions test for three years on a new vehicle.

K80Shooter

Like some have said, it depends on the county that you live in.

For example, where I live (Hart County) there are no emissions testing regardless of age.

ucfireman

Kind of like an extra tax for living in metro Atlanta.
Should be statewide or not at all.

Plus they need to do safety inspections and catch all them burnt out taillights and bald tires.

Latest posts