Georgia WMAs trophy hunts

cowhornedspike

GON has a pretty comprehensive issue I believe in July that lists the best bucks killed in all the WMA's. I'd bet that you could come up with a pretty solid list of both quota and non-quota places. I don't hunt Georgia anymore, but that's where I'd start. Sounds like a great challenge, best of luck !!!
I've got a 140+ buck listed in that issue but ain't tellin which WMA it came from. Doubt anyone else that truly loves hunting public and knows a good one will either.

Full Draw McGraw

I’m not asking for someones hunting spot I just want to get a general idea what area of the state to start to start looking
Start lookin in the area you live in and then move farther outward.

I shot this buck last season on GA public land and if he hadn't broken off two points he would have grossed right at 140. Where I shot him is not a "big buck" WMA. OB1.jpg

Last edited:

Blackston

Start lookin in the area you live in and then move farther outward.

I shot this buck last season on GA public land and if he hadn't broken off two points he would have grossed right at 140. This is not a "big buck" WMA. View attachment 1228990I remember HIm !!!!! Went back an re read post !!!! What story and what a story teller!!!! Not taking any thing away from your deer …. Just asking how big would he have been if both sides would’ve been the same that G2 is insane!!

Full Draw McGraw

@Blackston
There's only a 3 inch difference between his G2s (13" vs 10"). It just looks like more because the right main beam is several inches below the left when viewed head on.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m not asking for someones hunting spot I just want to get a general idea what area of the state to start to start looking
The WMA hunters know that. It’s just if they name names on the internet to you your not the only one reading it. That WMA may then have a bigger demand for hunting.
What this is called is cipher scouting. It has become a big problem.

We all wish u the best of luck on your search and would love to see your success pics and story.
GL.

DasHaas

I own a cabin in North Georgia - hoping to put in many hours this fall scouting a WMA and hopefully harvesting but the primary goal is to learn the land and mark some points of interest for future hunts

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The WMA hunters know that. It’s just if they name names on the internet to you your not the only one reading it. That WMA may then have a bigger demand for hunting.
What this is called is cipher scouting. It has become a big problem.

We all wish u the best of luck on your search and would love to see your success pics and story.
GL.
Close. It’s called cyber scouting;)

ScLowCountry

What would be your top 5 picks if you was trying to go after a mature real nice Buck?Im thinking about getting my Georgia license and trying to kill a nice Buck I feel like a can spend more time doing that than running up north or west for a week. Im already right on the Georgia line Hartwell and Elberton counties. I got some ideas already I got the Corp lines on Russell and Clark’s Hill .I know Hart has a history for Booners .
What do you consider a big buck? I have some awesome spots on lake Russell.

What do you consider a big buck? I have some awesome spots on lake Russell.
You going to be hunting up there this year? I live down in Gainesville but went and scouted up there twice last year. Found a few potential spots. But never did take a chance on hunting it.

ScLowCountry

You going to be hunting up there this year? I live down in Gainesville but went and scouted up there twice last year. Found a few potential spots. But never did take a chance on hunting it.
I moved back to Charleston so I probably won't hunt Corps land this year. I had some pics of absolute studs on lake Russell.