Georgia's Deer Management Plan draft now available for comment

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Now Available: Final Draft of Georgia Deer Management Plan 2015-2024: Your Input Requested!
Georgia Department of Natural Resources sent this bulletin at 08/01/2014 06:00 PM EDT
FINAL DRAFT OF GA DEER MANAGEMENT PLAN 2015-2024 POSTED TODAY: YOUR INPUT REQUESTED

Georgia’s white-tailed deer population is a great natural resource that provides aesthetic, consumptive, and economic value. Each year, approximately 300,000 deer hunters harvest nearly 400,000 deer over the course of the deer season. The annual economic impact of deer hunting in Georgia exceeds $890 million and supports more than 11,000 jobs.

WRD’s successful management efforts are informed through biological data, public input and management objectives identified in the agency’s statewide deer management plan, developed through an intensive public participation process. WRD is seeking to continue integrating public involvement by asking for your comments on the Draft of Georgia’s 10-year Deer Management Plan (DMP). A final draft of the Georgia Deer Management Plan 2015-2024 is now available online and WRD will be accepting input at eight (8) upcoming public meetings or by mail or e-mail (all input must be received by Sept. 5, 2014).

MORE INFORMATION

http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/Hunting/Meetings

BIGABOW

Take the time to read it fellas you can make a difference and learn somethings too!

quality hunter

We need a reduction in doe days in the qdm counties if there is no change the doe will be extinct. There is three bucks to every doe now in the areas I hunt and I know a lot of hunters continue to shoot the doe to pass on the smaller bucks.

Foxfire

Knew that the government in Georgia was operated by a bunch of idiots. DNR having another state establish hunting rules!

FOXFIRE/Y2KZ71

PappyHoel

Knew that the government in Georgia was operated by a bunch of idiots. DNR having another state establish hunting rules!

FOXFIRE/Y2KZ71

Huh?

PappyHoel

I found this chart interesting. We are under carrying capacity of the land. I love metrics

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title>Microsoft Word - Final Plan Draft 8-1-14</title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 18">
<div class="section" style="background-color: rgb(99.215683%, 99.215683%, 99.215683%)">

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

C. Killmaster, thanks for posting this. I have 2 questions that hopefully you can answer. If DMAP is implemented, will it begin in the 2015-2016 season or is it something that may be implemented at some point down the road inside the 10 years. Also, will the GADNR charge a fee for their management plans or is this covered in the proposed funding?

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and hard work on these issues.

tonyrittenhouse

plan

I have to agree with you a lot of fluff and filler. I just don't see a lot of real changes that are going to help in my area of North Georgia. I'm sorry but people in my area do not try to manage the deer herd on National Forest land if they are allowed to kill 10 doe then they will kill 10 doe, or at least they use to. Now there is not enough of doe left to kill 10. They still kill every one they see because they try to reach that limit of 10. That is what has happened to the deer where I hunt on the Chattahoochee National Forest. Anyway, I hope the deer hunting starts improving for everyone I just don't see it happening on the public land that I hunt on anytime soon. I am willing to give the plan a chance, I hope it works.

wwpiga

1.3 per hunter

300,000 hunters. 400,000 deer that comes to 1.3333 per hunter,
That means For every hunter who takes 10 does there are at least 7 hunters who don't harvest a deer.
10 doe limit is not the problem with GA deer herd. There cannot be that many who fill their limit.

There are a lot of hunters who hunt one or two times a season and never shoot a deer and in reality-there aren't many that kill 10.....

We need a reduction in doe days in the qdm counties if there is no change the doe will be extinct. There is three bucks to every doe now in the areas I hunt and I know a lot of hunters continue to shoot the doe to pass on the smaller bucks.

There are also a lot of old bucks running around with out the mandatory 4 on one side.....you see them each season-they are what they are and that is what they will be.....

tonyrittenhouse

deer

There are not many in my area that kill 10 doe now. But, my point is there use to be more people killing the limit than what people think. I would say 50% of the people I know skin and process there own deer at home, they never get taken to a processor. There deer tags are never counted or looked at to really see how many deer have been killed. I know several people that use to kill there limit each year. But you are correct now they don't because, there have been to many killed. If they are allowed to kill 10 then that is still there goal. They may only kill 4 or 5. But that is to many to be harvesting on the public land around here. I have seen it to many times people hunting public land around here can not , I guess you could call it self patrol or control themselves. They are not breaking the law, but if the limit is 10 then they shoot for 10. They may only get 5 or 7 or 4. I know it is hard to come up with plan to cover such a diverse state like Georgia. I can only speak for were I have hunted for 30 years. The same section of public land in North Georgia. I have seen it go from really good hunting to really poor hunting. I hope they cut the either sex days back even more for my area but, if they don't also cut the limit people will still try to kill 10.

308 WIN

Hopefully doe days will come way down in the piedmont and maybe zero doe days are needed in the mountains (I don't hunt up there). They can't change the bag limit but they can reduce the doe days.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

FOXFIRE/Y2KZ71

:huh:

T

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Etoncathunter

There are not many in my area that kill 10 doe now. But, my point is there use to be more people killing the limit than what people think. I would say 50% of the people I know skin and process there own deer at home, they never get taken to a processor. There deer tags are never counted or looked at to really see how many deer have been killed. I know several people that use to kill there limit each year. But you are correct now they don't because, there have been to many killed. If they are allowed to kill 10 then that is still there goal. They may only kill 4 or 5. But that is to many to be harvesting on the public land around here. I have seen it to many times people hunting public land around here can not , I guess you could call it self patrol or control themselves. They are not breaking the law, but if the limit is 10 then they shoot for 10. They may only get 5 or 7 or 4. I know it is hard to come up with plan to cover such a diverse state like Georgia. I can only speak for were I have hunted for 30 years. The same section of public land in North Georgia. I have seen it go from really good hunting to really poor hunting. I hope they cut the either sex days back even more for my area but, if they don't also cut the limit people will still try to kill 10.

Exactly, and not everyone either understands or gives a hoot about the differences in county days vs NF days. Honestly the CNF area needs to be closed to ALL doe harvest for a minimum of 5 years by ALL hunting methods. Predator control also needs to be upped drastically. We need a fall and spring bear season. We need YEAR ROUND coyote and hog hunting, not just when other seasons are open. I know plenty of people that would be happy to kill some yotes in the spring (myself included), when it does the most good, if they weren't limited to a durn scatter gun and the limits it entails.