German shepherd question

Balrog

I might be interested in getting a German Shepherd or two. Setting for the dogs would be rural, 90 acres of land with home, looking for good dogs as part of my overall home protection strategy.

Any thoughts?
Where can I find good ones?

Hillbilly stalker

Try to find ones that have parents that have OFA registered hips. GSD's tend to be plagued with hip Dysplasia. If you want good ones, imports are your best bet. Here in the U.S we have watered down the breed making pets and show dogs out of a working/herding dog. That is why most Law Enforcement Agencies import or pay for imported ones. Imports will have a lot better drive and raw instincts. True breeders will tell you that there should be 2 different breeds, American shepherds, and German. Watch for flat feet also.

Hillbilly stalker is correct a bout OFA certification.

Cmp1

BANNED
Get a couple Rotts,,,,just kidding,,,,Shepards are great,,,,saw very few in Germany though,,,,lots of Rotts though,,,,

Dub

I’ve always been curious about Shiloh Shepherds.

Massive animals. Very regal.

Hillbilly stalker

I think the police are going with those Shep look alikes,,,,can't remember the name of them,,,,maybe Malois,,,,
Belgian Malinois.....AKA " Ghetto Coyotes". Totally different dog, most LEO are going with them nowadays because of their high drive and athleticism . Great dogs but most people don't need one. High high energy like a 60 lb Jack Russell on Red Bull. Ive trained a lot of them. They have to be supervised.

treemanjohn

Banned
I’ve always been curious about Shiloh Shepherds.

Massive animals. Very regal.
Meh you don't want one dub. They're too big to be athletic and have very little drive

It's tough to beat a German Shepherd. They're great dogs. Very loyal and intelligent. They can be a mess if you don't challenge their intellect daily. Also they are heavy shedders twice a year. I prefer East German

Reactions: Dub

Hillbilly stalker

You talking about Check Sheps (Czechoslovakian ) ? For a good farm/ homestead dog, it would be hard to find anything better than a couple well bred Black Mouth curs. Think old Yeller. Short hair, no shedding, highly intelligent , gamey and protective of people and property.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
X2 on the Blackmouth Cur. Specially if it’s Ladner stock

BradW

They aren't called a German Shedder for nothing. Make sure you have a good vacuum cleaner. But they are a great dog, super smart, loyal, and eager to please. One I had only was mean to our neighbors dog, but was just a big pet and loved everyone. But he was really big/tall (100lbs), and he'd clear the aisles out a the pet store when we took him there. But was pretty laid back around the house compared to others in his breed, so you can get one that is even a bit on the more laid back, relaxed side.

FrChs28

Ditto on the Belgian Malinois. Great dogs, my buddy has one. But yes, super energetic. Must train well, and keep busy. Not a lap dog. I think that's the one that helped nail Bin Laden....

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I forgot to add that as a general rule Male dogs protect people and females protect property
I've never heard that. Interesting.
We have a male & he seems protective over everything. Lol