Giving and Tithing to Unsanctioned Ministries

LittleDrummerBoy

gordon 2

I saw this yesterday when you posted it on Utube. It is very interesting not only for the subject matter but how the historical doctrines of your tradition inform your walk.

What I find interesting is that your ministry is not a split with anything, which is often stated as the cause for multiple denominations for example, but simply it is due the outlook of the priesthood in the reform tradition and simply an extension of the Great Commission from the individual's perspective or his or her personal walk as a believer. Very interesting.

The idea of sanctioned and unsanctioned ministries is an eye catcher, also. The difference is it not that one has tax free status and the other has not? Unless there is a "college" or a "convention" of affiliation to provide recognition of internet ministries whereby tax free status can be obtained? Is there such a thing? Are there organizations of affiliation for internet ministries like there are for Non-denominational churches for example where by they can obtain tax free status and oversee regulation minimum for this purpose?

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

What I find interesting is that your ministry is not a split with anything, which is often stated as the cause for multiple denominations for example, but simply it is due the outlook of the priesthood in the reform tradition ...

I also learned a lot from the perspective of a Messianic rabbi. My recent Fatherhood 101 video, "You are a Priest," explores the priesthood coming from Adam. One need not jump to the reform "priesthood of all believers" to see the priesthood of Abel, Noah, Job, Abraham, and Cornelius in Scripture. I am further indebted to a Roman Catholic scoutmaster from my youth. He demonstrated no interest in turning me into a Catholic, but he introduced me to Jesus and encouraged me to become a follower of Jesus.

The idea of sanctioned and unsanctioned ministries is an eye catcher, also. The difference is it not that one has tax free status and the other has not?

It is simple and straightforward to become a tax-exempt ministry with 501C3 status. The paperwork is not that hard, but it involves some paperwork and bureaucracy that I think some ministries would do well to consider avoiding. It opens some doors to possible persecution and growing government control. The public filings and disclosures open the door to frivolous lawsuits and harassment of officers and board members as well. Think of all the attacks the NRA endured. The day may be coming when Christians in ministry want leaders and assets to be harder to find than allowed by the 501C3 requirements. I also noticed that every ministry I know in Hall County that is a 501C3 had significant long term closures during COVID. The modifications by the unsanctioned ministries were much smaller and did not seem to reduce their efforts or effectiveness. Unsanctioned ministries can let their "Yes" be "Yes" without needing to check with their boards, insurance agents, or governments first.

My test for whether a ministry is sanctioned really comes down to how easy it is for various parties to boss them around or tell them to stop. A lot of hooks come with non-profit status. But if a wealthy sponsor exerts undue influence, that can function as a negative sanctioning as much as non-profit status. What does it mean that "The head of every man is Christ"? Christ is the head, and the authority of believers in our work is not predominantly moderated by human authority chains like structured armies and governments of the gentiles. We all have access directly to the head, the King. Our propensity to revert back to large human institutions and authority chains in ministry comes more from our fallen nature than a healthy direct connection to the Head.

LittleDrummerBoy

It can be insightful to consider demarcations between sanctioned and unsanctioned ministries other than tax-exmpt status. For ministries that operate as Christian schools, the more useful sign of sanctioning is accreditation - which can come either through a government agency, a secular educational institution, or through a Christian educational institution.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of accrediting agencies spend considerable effort probing issues that are unrelated to educational quality or Biblical mission. Effectively, they have become another layer of government bureaucracy monitoring compliance with building codes, fire codes, employment law, health codes, tax codes, and so on. So much more effort is expanded with another layer of bureaucracy monitoring these things that less effort is spent concerned with educational quality, which has contributed to the gradual slide in educational outcomes, even among Christian institutions.

Though there are some exceptions, most unsanctioned educational ministries these days are home schools and home school associations (co-ops, sports programs, music programs, etc.) These ministries represent a great opportunity for Christian giving in support of the Great Commission.