The Myth of Tithing

LittleDrummerBoy

One comment I received on this was,"So just say your cheap and you don’t think God will honor his word and bless the remaining 90%"

I replied, "Have you considered that some folks tithe without considering it a command, since there is no New Testament instruction to tithe?"

j_seph

Is this not some instruction?

2 Corinthians 9:6-10
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

Artfuldodger

6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
The only problem I see with that is lost folk and people of other religions seem to be blessed with the same as Christians who do give all their possessions to the Church and to others. They appear to be blessed both financially and with health. The only thing they aren't blessed with is everlasting life.

Beyond that though, we are still instructed to give a lot more than just money. Look at the separation of the sheep and goats as an example. The requirement/command/instruction is there. Maybe the commandment to love God and others is in some way related.

LittleDrummerBoy

Yes, it is an instruction, and a main point of the video. Did you watch it?

But do you see an instruction to tithe there? I see an instruction not to give grudgingly and not to give out of necessity to ministries.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My wife & I tithe willingly. We are eager to tithe & give in offerings as well.
God has so richly blessed us.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
One comment I received on this was,"So just say your cheap and you don’t think God will honor his word and bless the remaining 90%"

I replied, "Have you considered that some folks tithe without considering it a command, since there is no New Testament instruction to tithe?"

Ohhhh the hoops people jump through to avoid doing what is a blessing to be able to do.

Israel

BANNED
Deut 14:22-27

SemperFiDawg

Grudgingly and out of necessity is not in giving!

It is cheerful and giving that goes together! And it has little to do with money!

You are correct. How one feels about giving is an accurate reflection of the gratitude one feels toward Christ. People may state that there are no NT commandments to give and this may or may not be true, but there is without a doubt a NT example displayed in detail: they all sold everything and put it in a communal pot. That kinda makes the 10% tithe look mild. Odd you never see that discussed when NT commandments are cited as an excuse for not giving. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth among those who don't believe in giving if it were suggested that they actually sell everything they have to give to the communal church system? That's the example provided in the NT. It was an accurate reflection of their heart. What does the reflection of our's toward giving say about our heart?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You are correct. How one feels about giving is an accurate reflection of the gratitude one feels toward Christ. People may state that there are no NT commandments to give and this may or may not be true, but there is without a doubt a NT example displayed in detail: they all sold everything and put it in a communal pot. That kinda makes the 10% tithe look mild. Odd you never see that discussed when NT commandments are cited as an excuse for not giving. Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth among those who don't believe in giving if it were suggested that they actually sell everything they have to give to the communal church system? That's the example provided in the NT. It was an accurate reflection of their heart. What does the reflection of our's toward giving say about our heart?

Well said sir, God knows what’s in our heart whether tithing or gifting and that’s what counts.

I don’t post down here much but will add if the tone of this thread and others I’ve read as supposed to be bait for the unsaved masses check the bait bucket, the minnows are dead.

Israel

BANNED
Why one would see any right exposure of the imposition of a tithe as being no example at all for the believer and equate that with any injunction against giving is a straw man.

Surely LDB is foolishly accused if in any form this is hung on him. He nowhere remotely implies giving is deniable or unsavory. But if it is a matter of law, or sought to be imposed as such he is making the point that those who have assumed authority to lay such upon others, and do so, are not in accord with those others we often call the first. And no less those very same "others" upon whom they often claim some authority for their own position. Why quote Paul in some "here" for authority (inferred/presumed to themselves) if refusing to also hold to his teaching "there" in some other matter.

But, consistency is a rare thing indeed. Unless it is seen and fully appreciated in Jesus Christ and clung to as only lifeline and cannot be made subject to whim or even our own experiences of even most dire necessities, Jesus Christ will, in all, appear to us malleable and will be represented by us, falsely.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
It is not possible to out give God! You can’t do enough for salvation and you can’t give enough for it either.

Who the son sets free is free indeed! We might want to walk in His grace through faith! No other way to please him!

j_seph

The only problem I see with that is lost folk and people of other religions seem to be blessed with the same as Christians who do give all their possessions to the Church and to others. They appear to be blessed both financially and with health. The only thing they aren't blessed with is everlasting life.

Beyond that though, we are still instructed to give a lot more than just money. Look at the separation of the sheep and goats as an example. The requirement/command/instruction is there. Maybe the commandment to love God and others is in some way related.
If they do not have Jesus then are they truly blessed? Do you feel that Satan cannot provide someone with happiness in this world? Have you ever lived out of Gods will, in sin and been happy? Look at the rich man in the bible. He had all he wanted and needed except salvation. Seemed pretty happy and blessed until he opened his eyes in a Devils He!!

SemperFiDawg

Well said sir, God knows what’s in our heart whether tithing or gifting and that’s what counts.

I don’t post down here much but will add if the tone of this thread and others I’ve read as supposed to be bait for the unsaved masses check the bait bucket, the minnows are dead.

LOL. YOU ARE CORRECT SIR.

SemperFiDawg

Perhaps there should have been a parable of the 4 talents for the people of our day with the 4th servant taking everything the master had given him and spending it all on himself. Wonder what the master would have said to him?

Israel

BANNED
Straw man.

j_seph

Yes, it is an instruction, and a main point of the video. Did you watch it?

But do you see an instruction to tithe there? I see an instruction not to give grudgingly and not to give out of necessity to ministries.
Unfortunately you did not get a view count on youtube from me

Israel

BANNED

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

That's basically what the video is a reminder of...not giving under any law, not giving according to some set amount nor of obligation.

Since the gospel went to the Jew first and then the gentiles, not by prohibition but design, those first brothers had to seek the Lord as to what was formerly upon them in their prior covenant would remain as beneficial as they were all of "the Jews".

They took a lot of heat from those who were unwilling to see Moses superseded by Christ in every way, still wanting to cling to the old forms.

It's most interesting that what is now a church and churches, knowing themselves as gentiles in the natural (predominantly) would either venture back under the law, or desire to as in their pursuit of Christ. And no less into the very things Paul staunchly (does one doubt?) and plainly declared of no value to the new creation, and to which nothing is owed for its birthing.

But the pull of religion remains strong in the natural.

In regards to such observances and practices (that even those who promote certain aspects of "the tithe" being greatly ignorant of all that is said of it) Paul mentioned in regards to other matters; but that which is no less true of all such excursions:

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

... How one feels about giving is an accurate reflection of the gratitude one feels toward Christ. ...
Concur.
Giving, for me, is:
1. Me feeling moved by gratitude,
2. for what God has unconditionally granted to me,
3. to present something of value* to God
4. as an authentic unconditional / no strings attached gesture of appreciation.
Is that *'something of value' 1%, 10% or 100%?
God already 'owns' everything anyways ...
My view is that He has given instructions to mortals on 'giving' as an exercise / behavior pattern that is to my benefit, not His.
'How appreciative am I' is what I need to incessantly be asking myself and then let me watch myself respond with however that translates to putting a little something 'into the plate' : ) ?