.380 effectivness

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So far…the one I picked up has functioned 100%. Even with cheap,steel cased Ammo. It’s no target gun..more like a 20 ft. gun..but with practice..I think I can hit tennis balls at 7 yds.. and that’s about all I want it to do ;)
Minute of thug is easily doable at 10yds.

bonnransr

Gentleman, haven’t posted in years or bought a pistol. Last I bought was an Xds in 45. Haven't seen anything posted in awhile about that pistol and just wanted thoughts.

Dr. Strangelove

.380 is a defensive pistol round. Don't see many crew served weapons firing belt fed .380.

However I doubt many of you would stand in my kitchen and let me empty a mag into you.

At the range it's intended to be used, it's an effective round.

What it is not is a combat round and it was not designed to be so.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I was all excited about my Sig P365 when I got it about five years back. I figgered it was gonna be a game changer for daily carry.

I carried it a while, but I ended up gravitating back to a duty sized weapon, most of the time a Glock 19 MOS with Trijicon optic and irons.

The 365 has become my grandboys' favorite, because in their small hands, it works just like a full size...

IMG_20230220_101617037.jpg

transfixer

I was all excited about my Sig P365 when I got it about five years back. I figgered it was gonna be a game changer for daily carry.

I carried it a while, but I ended up gravitating back to a duty sized weapon, most of the time a Glock 19 MOS with Trijicon optic and irons.

The 365 has become my grandboys' favorite, because in their small hands, it works just like a full size...

View attachment 1302890

I'm a big guy, with I suppose fairly large hands, I wear XL nitrile gloves at work, but I like the p365, although I did put the XL grip frame on mine, its a big improvement , it fits me quite well, and have no problem shooting it accurately, can I shoot my G23 better ? yes, but I don't want to carry it daily , especially not appendix carry. if I were still carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock size wouldn't matter that much to me. but appendix has ended up being more comfortable and much less visible in all situations for me.

Baroque Brass

View attachment 1302890
May I suggest that you correct his grip? It’s hard to keep control of the gun with the “tea cup” grip.

Mark R

A friend and I did several drills at close range with air soft pistols . Everybody should try that . Its a learning experience . With 2 ready shooters in a gun fight , you gonna get shot up Every time .

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
May I suggest that you correct his grip? It’s hard to keep control of the gun with the “tea cup” grip.

Correct his grip??

40 years ago, this WAS considered to be the proper grip, and I will admit that I am ignorant of whatever grip style is currently en vogue among learned pistoleros... :bounce:

I can tell you that it's pretty scary to watch him and his little brother bounce beer cans and mtn dew bottles around at 5-15 yards with just about any handgun I've got.

At 8 and 11 years old...

transfixer

Correct his grip??

40 years ago, this WAS considered to be the proper grip, and I will admit that I am ignorant of whatever grip style is currently en vogue among learned pistoleros... :bounce:

I can tell you that it's pretty scary to watch him and his little brother bounce beer cans and mtn dew bottles around at 5-15 yards with just about any handgun I've got.

At 8 and 11 years old...

Now the suggest grip is to wrap your weak hand around your strong hand, and put your weak hand thumb up on the grip frame just below the slide, to keep your strong hand from pushing it that direction, but that I believe is to prevent people from pulling off target , for those that don't have good trigger control.

I still sometimes wrap my index finger on my weak hand around the front of the trigger guard, and that isn't suggested either, but it boils down to whatever works for you, if you can independently pull with your trigger finger without moving the pistol off target , then your grip isn't that big of a concern.

Many right handed people cannot shoot a pistol without pulling the gun low left with the trigger pull, the opposite would happen with left handed people, I personally believe that is where the grip versions come into play, to prevent that .

Geezer Ray

Now the suggest grip is to wrap your weak hand around your strong hand, and put your weak hand thumb up on the grip frame just below the slide, to keep your strong hand from pushing it that direction, but that I believe is to prevent people from pulling off target , for those that don't have good trigger control.

I still sometimes wrap my index finger on my weak hand around the front of the trigger guard, and that isn't suggested either, but it boils down to whatever works for you, if you can independently pull with your trigger finger without moving the pistol off target , then your grip isn't that big of a concern.

Many right handed people cannot shoot a pistol without pulling the gun low left with the trigger pull, the opposite would happen with left handed people, I personally believe that is where the grip versions come into play, to prevent that .
If you shoot well and you hit what your aiming at with consistency,,,,hmmmm guess that's saying the same thing twice. Anyway, why change what works for you?

bighonkinjeep

I found the discussion on "stopping" interesting.
Ive seen plenty of deer hit with 30-06 .308 .270 .25-06 and various other rifles that make handgun terminal ballistics anemic by comparison. Plenty of em hauled tail when hit and several quite a ways.
It got me to thinking about where I shoot deer now that Im older and quite possibly picked up a thing or two.
After decades of heart shots I now shoot high shoulder and they never run. Take away the wheels and down they go every single time.
Though its a smaller target Im starting to wonder if the sweet spots for stopping someone with bad intent may be a little higher and a good bit lower than center mass.
Im sure their are many good reasons things are done the way theyre done and trainers train the way they do but just from what Ive seen on game animals, just above the breast plate and the pelvis would seem like likely placement for stopping a threat by removing mobility or use of appendages. Not positive but pretty sure the pelvis would stop an advance cold.
Just thinking out loud...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Ive seen plenty of deer hit with 30-06 .308 .270 .25-06 and various other rifles that make handgun terminal ballistics anemic by comparison. Plenty of em hauled tail when hit and several quite a ways.
It got me to thinking about where I shoot deer now that Im older and quite possibly picked up a thing or two.
After decades of heart shots I now shoot high shoulder and they never run. Take away the wheels and down they go every single time.
Though its a smaller target Im starting to wonder if the sweet spots for stopping someone with bad intent may be a little higher and a good bit lower than center mass.
Im sure their are many good reasons things are done the way theyre done and trainers train the way they do but just from what Ive seen on game animals, just above the breast plate and the pelvis would seem like likely placement for stopping a threat by removing mobility or use of appendages. Not positive but pretty sure the pelvis would stop an advance cold.
If you have time to pick a spot, aim and hit that spot, it may not be considered self defense by the po-po.
If somebodies on me, I'm gonna shoot em in the big toe if that's the first place I can get a hole in them.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I agree with high shoulder. Where i come from they call it the transmission shot. Make it mechanically impossible to move… also rifle wound channel often affects the cns. It doesn’t destroy that much meat and if you hunt near rivers or head high clearcuts, it might save a lot of meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've got more hollow points and soft point 223 ammo than anything else. A 223 pointed sift points makes a mess of a deer I can't imagine a human taking many of those. A 7.62x39 ar would be fun though!
Love mine. I've killed a pile of deer with it, too.