Septuagint and 1st Enoch

BassMan31

I've read only KJV (post 1770 version) my entire walk till now. I was convicted of my superiority complex in my KJV-only-ism once I heard someone say "the greek old testament (LXX) and new testament had been the church's bible for 1500 years before protestants rose from Catholicism. are none of those people saved the entire time because they didn't have your version of the KJV? why did the protestants change it?" Even the original version of the KJV (the 1611 version) had the "apocrypha" included. why take it out?

I've recently bought a septuagint (Lexham Press LXX) and plan to purchase a large family bible from Cambridge "New Cambridge Paragraph KJV with Apocrypha" to have at home because (though I'm young-ish) my eyes like the large words and thicker paper.

I feel almost cheated that I've been so indoctrinated to believe the KJV was the only "authoritative word of GOD!!!" I'm reading through Enoch (1st Enoch only) and some of the other books (Jasher, Jubilees, Maccabees, etc.) that I was taught to believe were "heretical." many of the doctrinal 'holes' i was taught to ignore and faith-it-till-you-make-it are completely gone through readings and teachings from youtube. My faith feels so new and alive; more so than ever before. it feels "real."

so I ask the KJV only-ists, why do you continue to kick against the goad? what is there to gain? I don't want to "start anything." i am genuinely curious.

brutally honest

… so I ask the KJV only-ists, why do you continue to kick against the goad? what is there to gain? I don't want to "start anything." i am genuinely curious.

I don’t think that discussion is allowed:

gordon 2

1“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well. 2In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.…

All are well and well dressed that are able to sufficiently deny themselves of their own works and to lean on God's love alone and so abled to receive God's grace.

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work." KJV

Last edited:

BassMan31

I don’t think that discussion is allowed:

welp my bad on that one. I haven't posted here in a while so I forget things like this.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Pretty dang bad when "Christians" behave so badly arguing over bible translations any discussion of the subject is banned. We should be able to do better. That's embarrassing. I wasn't aware of this also so it must go back some time ago.

brutally honest

Pretty dang bad when "Christians" behave so badly arguing over bible translations any discussion of the subject is banned. We should be able to do better. That's embarrassing. I wasn't aware of this also so it must go back some time ago.

Same here. I may look back at some old threads to see what happened.

gordon 2

Same here. I may look back at some old threads to see what happened.
You will have to go back during Clinton, Bush2 presidencies. It happen early and quickly in the forum's life. I was like a grass fire in a hurricane. It was like a 24 hour fever. It was so fast that I missed it. I went to bed and all was fine and I woke up in the morning the lights were indefinitely out on the subject and well you know the rest of the story.

It was a short war fought over translations. It ended quickly. The Admins. snuffed it good.

Back in those frontier days people could visit because they were unfriendly and I think it might have gone to that point... I'm not sure. It was a short but sad forum war. It was around that time when people were threatening to move to Costa Rica if the Democrats won the Fed. election, if you recall and when the NRA and the Moral Majority were god sent. It was around those times and for the men of them days that the topic got forbidden. And I'm thinking there might still be cause to keep it that way.

It was when Evander Holyfield was fighting good. It was a little bit before the cult of Ayn Rand and people were openly still fighting the civil war.

Good luck.

Last edited:

gordon 2

That's a sixteen-year period ending in 2008. The "notice" thread above was posted late in 2011. Whatever happened may have been going on for a while, but it must have reached the breaking point sometime in 2011.
Yea. It was a long time coming. It was born by the river in them little tents. Around the time of the Second Great Awakening perhaps.