Gizzard shad

jbpriest

Anyone got any pointers on finding big (six inch plus) gizzards? I can find all the threadfin and blueback I want when I fish for linesides, but finding big gizzards for big catfish is a lot harder. I mainly fish the north end of West Point, Allatoona, and and the eastern half of Weiss. Thanks!

campboy

Anyone got any pointers on finding big (six inch plus) gizzards? I can find all the threadfin and blueback I want when I fish for linesides, but finding big gizzards for big catfish is a lot harder. I mainly fish the north end of West Point, Allatoona, and and the eastern half of Weiss.
I’m assuming you already know how to throw a cast net. Best advice is to throw, throw, throw. You’ll eventually find them

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The north end of West Point is loaded with gizzards...especially the last few years. 99% of mine come out of less than 3 ft of water and your front deck should look like a war zone when you are finished throwing. Think muddy....

jbpriest

If you're fishing allatoona the shad shack in acworth has some massive gizzards. Their smalls could be fileted for sandwiches.
I go there often. I like supporting a local business, but I would still prefer to find my own, and use shad shack as a back-up.

jbpriest

The north end of West Point is loaded with gizzards...especially the last few years. 99% of mine come out of less than 3 ft of water and your front deck should look like a war zone when you are finished throwing. Think muddy....
I believe ya. I've seen them darting around Snake Creek boat ramp while bass fishing. Seems like they don't school like threadfin do though.

little rascal

and and the eastern half of Weiss
Go to Brushy and throw the net out in front of the boat ramp left and right. Near the channel markers is a good place. Sometimes the big gizzards are up the creek, when the stripers are up there(summer). Lot of times the big gizzards are real shallow in the muddy bottom close to the grassbeds.