Glock 40 or 45??

Which caliber Glock should I buy?

• 40 cal.

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • 45 cal.

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

Arrow3

Which do you prefer?? I havn't made up my mind yet...Im leaning toward the 40 though..I want it for personal protection, shooting enjoyment, and minor hunting...When I say minor hunting Im talking about taking it with me when i deer or hog hunt...Its not gonna be my number 1 weapon of choice...Just something extra to have around...Is there much different in the price of ammo??

Buzz

Count me in as a member of the "Big Dawgs" club when it comes to Glocks. I like the .45 much better.

The .45's have larger grip frames than the .40s do. The .45 grip frame fits my hands better.

Clint-06

Why .40? Just say no! I had a Model 27 (.40) but it was just too small, I really like my Model 30, but my 36 goes with me usually.
Thinking about a Model 20, always wanted one but always left the gun store with a 45!

Also have that nagging problem with Glocks and unsupported case mouths, but of course no hard evidence that this is a real problem.

Try holding a Model 30, if the grip isn't too big for your hand, you have found your gun!

My .02, Clint-06

Buzz

Clint - I agree with you on the Model 30. That's one of my favorites. The sucker is hard to conceal though.

I also agree on the partially unsupported chambers. It really bugs me. I stick with 230g FMJ bullets at about 770 to 800 fps for practice and the cases don't bulge. If I get into the +P load ranges (or fire the +P factory ammo) cases bulge enough that I wouldn't use them again in my Glock 21 and my Glock 30.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Brandon, I have both (Ruger) and have no issues with eitehr, but the 40 is such a sweet shooter, I could not reccommend a 45 over it.

Jim

stumpman

Banned
I have a glock 23 and have had it since they came out with the 40 cal if im getting shot i wouldnt care if its 40 or 45 cal i dont want to get hit by either so all this about the 40 not being big enough whats it not big enough for? what do most law enforcement agencies carry ?

Ruger Redhawk

My carry gun is a Glock M27 in 40. I love old green eyes.(Trijicon NS). I got my 27 long before they came out with the Baby Glocks in 45 cal. If I ever decide to get another Glock for CCW use it will be one of the 45 cal versions.There is nothing wrong with the 40 cal.The 45 is just more foregiven.

Ruger Redhawk

Razorback

Arrow,

Take a road trip to Bullseye Gun Store & Shooting Range in Downtown Larryville. They have rental guns you can shoot to get a feel for either.

Of course either caliber will get the job done when you place the bullet on target correctly but a .45 gives you a little margin for error & a .40S&W will give you a couple extra rounds to make up for bad hits :bounce: .

I have a Glock M22 full size .40 Short & Weak. I have pushed close to 5k rounds through it. I'd say about 4,600 +or- were reloads. They were kept w/in maximum pressures w/ 165 &180gr FMJ & copper washed Ranier's w/ no problems.

Also if your toting either in the woods w/ you think about what kind of holster you want to use. I have a thigh rig, its cheap and it shows when the thigh straps slide down you leg no matter how tight you cinch it down. I also have a hip mounted paddle rig that works fine until you try to work a stand up sit~down climber or sit in a narrow ladder seat.

Good luck with your search,

Razorback

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Buy the full size model 22 in 40 caliber. More capacity is a good thing. Then buy you a revolver to hunt with.

Robert

georgiaboy

I own two Glock .40s. That being said, I would buy a .45 for my next one. I like to shoot .45s (in 1911s). I find the recoil less sharp in a .45 for some reason, its more like a solid push than the snap a .40 has and I can get back on target quicker. Another important consideration is that ammo is usually cheaper in .45 = more practice for less. I would take the advice of renting or borrowing different models to try. Other great options that I have experience with are HK, 1911s from reputable manufacturers, SIG and Beretta. If you are going to carry you might look into a safety course, but also a training course to learn to shoot the pistol. Night sights are a huge plus for carry, go shooting one evening and see for yourself. Buy a decent holster and be aware that a belt to support a gun is usually not the same belt you buy at Gap. Do you want kydex or leather in a holster? Let us know because alot of the experienced guys here can lend advice I am sure.

Randy

I have all the Glock 40 cal. guns. The 45 cals do not fit my small hands and besides look at the terminal ballistics. 40 is only behind the 357 for one shot stops. Plus with the 40 you get more rounds. With the high cap ban over you can get 15 round clips for the 40 in the model 22. I carry my model 27 every day. Yes the grip is short but that is what you want on a concealed carry weapon. If I had to choose just one I would choose the model 35. It has a slightly longer barrell than the Model 22 and comes with a target trigger and extended release. It is not too big so that it gets in your way either. No bigger than a 1911 anyway. A model 22 would be my second choice.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Wouldn't have a glock couldn't give it to me!

Yet another thing we disagree on. Them gnats down there are going to your head! ::ke:

See which one fits your hand best and go with that one. I have a .40, but you couldn't go wrong with either for what you're going to use it for. if I had $400.00 laying around to buy another pistol, I would be in the same dilemna! The only problem is I would have to buy another caliber of ammo! :clap:

T

Last edited:

sniper13

Model 30 Glock

Like Americn Express says, Don't leave home without it.
I originally bought a Tarus Millenemum. Couldn't hit tha monitor from my chair in front of it. Traded and got my Baby Golck and not can hit anyting out to 30yds. If I have to shoot further , I'll either retreat or get one of my long guns. :shoot:

bevills1

As stated on Gun&Ammo TV the 40 and 45 are virtually identical ballistically. The advantage of the 40 is that it'll fit in 9MM size frame making it more comfortable and controllable for those with smaller hands.

Toliver

I carry the 22 and the 27 at work. I have an extended magazine on the 27 so it fits my hand better and it's still easier to conceal when I'm off duty. Fully loaded with the extended mag, it holds 12 rounds. I shoot better out to 15 yards with it than I do with the 22.