Got my New Bow Today!

Etter2

Banned
Just wanted an affordable recurve as backup for my 50lb Damon Howatt Monterey. I just really wanted to have an extra in case I was on a big trip and something delaminated or a limb twisted on my bow (it is about twice my age). I have a few big hunts lined up (blackbeard island and a cougar hunt in Idaho) and just couldn't imagine if something went wrong during one of those.

Anyway, I searched around and ordered a Samick Red Stag. 60" and 55lbs. Out of the box I was supremely impressed. For $160 I wasn't expecting much in the aesthetics department but I was shocked. This thing is gorgeous. Beautiful wood and great lines. I strung it up and set a nock by eye. I had to lower it an 8th of an inch and it's shooting darts. Installed a velcro rest, limb silencers, and yarn string silencers. It draws as smooth as any bow I've ever shot, shoots fast, and I'm actually shooting it better than my other bow.

If you have any concerns about these "cheap" Samick bows, let em go. What a deal!

Only problem I am having is the string serving is a bit thick for my nocks. How do you all go about opening them up a bit?

frankwright

Good deal! Glad you like it, I have been hunting this year with a Samick Stingray.
I did just like you with yarn silencers, FF string and I wrapped the string with yarn where it touches the bow.

Some people heat the nock in hot water and gently pry it open a little but I found the file on my Gerber Multitool will slip in the nock and with a few passes of the file, I can get it just like I want it.

Etter2

Banned
Thanks for the input. I was really into the stingray too but thought that 58" might be a little tricky for my less than perfect form. I think that's an awesome looking bow. Maybe I'll go that route next because this one is so impressive.

Nugefan

well bring on some pix of her ...:whip: :banana::fine:

I use a lil sandpaper to open up the nocks ...