Got some scans done.

lbzdually

Banned
X-ray, CT, MRI, nerve conduction. I've been having migraines since I was less than 6 years old, but brain scan still didn't give them clue as to why. My neck and left shoulder have also been giving me lots of issues with numbness, weakness ad pain. Turns out I have a partially torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder that I just had surgery on Feb 2017. The worst issue is the disk in my neck that is herniated and protruding significantly and impinging nerves that lead to my left shoulder and chest. Basically it feels like someone is jabbing an icepick in my shoulder while someone is sitting on my chest all the time. Nerve conduction confirmed what I was feeling. Know all this, would you guys get the neck fixed first, then baby the shoulder until neck is healed, or fix shoulder? I know it sounds weird, but I am glad they found something wrong. For years, I have been hurting and no one has seemed that interested in finding a solution or cause. Now there is a smoking gun, something to fight or fix.

ryanh487

Your spinal cord is like a a garden hose, and the nerve signals to every single function of your body is like the water in that hose. When there's a kink in the hose, it interferes with the delivery of those signals and can effect all sorts of things that you wouldn't even think of, from digestion and breathing to congestion and extremety pain. Fix the neck first, and get multiple opinions on courses of treatment- surgery around your spine is serious and should not be taken lightly.

lbzdually

Banned
Thank you ryanh487. It scares the living snot out of me, but makes me excited to think that if it works, I can maybe start hunting a lot more again.

ryanh487

Hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon. I imagine you'll be without a lot of discomforts and pains that you have gotten used to over the years and forgot you even had.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
What Ryan487 said. I wore a back brace for lower back pain for a year until I had a knee replacement. No back problems anymore.

gunnurse

Your nerve conduction and neck problems would be primary if it was me. The longer that nerve impingement is allowed to occur, the more difficult it can be to rehab. Just think of it as a nuts and bolts thing with the shoulder, but an electrical issue with the c-spine.

rayjay

I would definitely caution you to temper your expectations about the end results. There are many different possible outcomes when dealing with spinal surgery. Hopefully they will make it better and if you are super lucky it may be a whole lot better. I'm just wanting you to not go into the surgery expecting to come out as superman. You may still have issues to deal with just not as bad as now. Also, post surgery don't try for any shortcuts or attempts at getting ahead of the healing process. You need to do what the docs and PT people tell you. I have unresolvable neck issues and wish you a great outcome !!

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I would consult with several chiropractors before jumping to surgery. I have much the same problem you describe and control my issues through chiropractic care and exercise.

Consilt with several and give the one you are most comfortable with, if any of them, and see what happens. If that fails surgery will always still be an option.

If you DO decide to give it a go be SURE to communicate everything you feel to the chiropractor. The one I see, for example, prefers to adjust patient's necks with them lying on their backs. This does not work for me and actually exacerbates my problems. They usually have several options for the adjustments they make and should work to find the best treatment for the individual.

Hope you're able to find some relief

Lilly001

As someone with two bulged disc in my neck and the resulting neck shoulder pain I can confirm what has been said about treatment.
There are options, and surgery should be your last.
PT and injections have been my friend. They only come up short when I knowingly exceed the limits I have come to know.
Not ideal, I miss shooting a bow, but I do have a crossbow.

lbzdually

Banned
I would definitely caution you to temper your expectations about the end results. There are many different possible outcomes when dealing with spinal surgery. Hopefully they will make it better and if you are super lucky it may be a whole lot better. I'm just wanting you to not go into the surgery expecting to come out as superman. You may still have issues to deal with just not as bad as now. Also, post surgery don't try for any shortcuts or attempts at getting ahead of the healing process. You need to do what the docs and PT people tell you. I have unresolvable neck issues and wish you a great outcome !!

The first shoulder surgery taught me that lesson. I thought it would help some of the pain, but it did nothing. Since my shoulder partially has only a partially torn rotator cuff, I'm hoping PT and proper non use will fix it.

lbzdually

Banned
As someone with two bulged disc in my neck and the resulting neck shoulder pain I can confirm what has been said about treatment.
There are options, and surgery should be your last.
PT and injections have been my friend. They only come up short when I knowingly exceed the limits I have come to know.
Not ideal, I miss shooting a bow, but I do have a crossbow.

I'm only 39 and thing have been getting progressively worse in the past 4-5 years. I had a good, mostly pain free day a couple of weeks ago, so I washed my truck. For 2-3 days, I could barely drive or even wash my hair because it hurt to turn or tilt my neck that bad. I'm getting depressed, because even the simplest of things like carrying in groceries can leave me useless for a while.

I did PT before my shoulder surgery back in Feb of 2017 and they did therapy for both the neck and shoulder and all it did was aggravate the pain.

I think I know when I tore my rotator cuff. My wife's cousin's husband is a paraplegic and fell out of his wheelchair and we only live about 2 miles away and me and my wife were the only ones available to help. As we were lifting, I felt the burn and pain, but I just figured it was my normal neck and shoulder nerve pain. It was either then or when my dad got out of the nursing home for the day to attend my niece's graduation and I had to help get him his truck by myself. I also had to lift him by myself after he could not get off the toilet the same day. Either way, I did what had to be done and would still do it again, even knowing I was going to injure myself.

rayjay

I'
Either way, I did what had to be done and would still do it again, even knowing I was going to injure myself.

I use an old cobby patient lift to lift anything much over 25 lbs. It just takes discipline to take the time to go get the lift and use it as opposed to lifting the heavy object and then pay the price for several days. I made a bracket that bolts to the back of my garden tractor so I can slide the boom of the patient lift into this bracket and now use the GT to move heavy things around the yard. You eventually just have to come to grips with your limitations. It does suck but you can still live and do man things, just smarter.

Lilly001

I use an old cobby patient lift to lift anything much over 25 lbs. It just takes discipline to take the time to go get the lift and use it as opposed to lifting the heavy object and then pay the price for several days. I made a bracket that bolts to the back of my garden tractor so I can slide the boom of the patient lift into this bracket and now use the GT to move heavy things around the yard. You eventually just have to come to grips with your limitations. It does suck but you can still live and do man things, just smarter.

This.
I have had to work through the frustrations of not being able to do simple things that I took for granted. I used to be the go to guy for heavy lifting. Now I have to say no to others and myself.
It sucks to get older and deal with the limitations from past excesses.

rayjay

"Past excesses" is definitely part of the equation. It's a real whack to have to ask the wife to carry something because it's too heavy. But I've paid the price too often these last 15 years so I just swallow my pride and let her do it. I still manage to run a chainsaw or do other things but very carefully.

lbzdually

Banned
Went to the orthopedic Dr. to check my rotator cuff. He checked my scans and he said "they were very impressive". Any time a Dr. says that, it is either good or very bad. In my case, it was bad. The disk herniations have my spinal cord down to 3mm and he said it should be roughly 3 times bigger. He agreed that the neck stuff is what we should focus on. Then he remarked, 'I can definitely see why you are in pain.' I say that because for a long time, I thought I was being a baby and I'm just glad Drs. are seeing what I've been feeling for about 4-5 years ago.

lbzdually

Banned
Your spinal cord is like a a garden hose, and the nerve signals to every single function of your body is like the water in that hose. When there's a kink in the hose, it interferes with the delivery of those signals and can effect all sorts of things that you wouldn't even think of, from digestion and breathing to congestion and extremety pain. Fix the neck first, and get multiple opinions on courses of treatment- surgery around your spine is serious and should not be taken lightly.

This turned out to be a dead on accurate, my nerve is kinked up like a water when you squeeze it.

lbzdually

Banned
I has some more stuff done and it has me more worried. they did a lower back scan and found a degenerated herniated disk down there. They said it was mild compared to my shoulder but another brain scan showed a 4 cm 'spot'. They said it is probably not malignant, but anytime a Dr. says spot on brain, it gets my attention. They said it could be vascular, but that I hadn't had a stroke. Only me and my wife know this. I'm not going to worry anyone else in my family until I'm sure there is something to worry about.

lbzdually

Banned
I am scheduled for surgery on the 8th. Rods and screws with a cadaver bone to get it back straight. I should have done something sooner, but I had a Dr. that didn't care. Last Christmas, I could not wrap Christmas presents for more than 10 minutes at a time, because looking down and using my arms low lit my nerves on fire. I just hope this helps me to start being able to do regular things again. I want to shoot a bow, bowl, play golf, work without being miserable.