Guess what ran across the road today?

mike bell

Today at about 5:30 pm, I was driving north on Hwy 25 in northern Burke Co. between Briar Creek and Waynesboro.

I was driving a van full of girls to a softball game in Augusta. The other coach and my wife were also in the van with us. There are plenty of witnessess to what Im about to tell you!

Can you guess what we saw? Well I think it is a rare animal for these parts. Ive never seen one wild around here but Ive seen them out west. It ran across so quick I almost hit it so I know what it was and the guy in the front seat saw it to. he looked at me and said "Was that what I think it was?"

I said Yes it was......

Ill give you three choices.

A bear, a cougar, or a ringneck pheasant. Which one you think we saw?

Yes it was a pheasant. I was hoping yall thought we saw a cougar but it was a ringneck. That joker was running as fast as he could. I think I ran over his tail feathers but he did take off flying when I was looking back in the mirror. He landed across the ditch and into a field. He sure was pretty.

Rebel 3

It had to have been where someone turned them loose to hunt. I saw one on the side of the road once in Newton Co. and took pictures when I was a teenager. I later realized there was a shooting preserve nearby.

BlackSmoke

im sure somebody has released a few down there in "The Bird Dog Capital of The World!!!!!"

gobble79

Have seen 1 in my dove field the last 2 mornings. Thought it was mybaby turkeys at 1st. Not. ring neck and all. don't know where it came from

tree daddy 7

See them all the time around newborn. I think its because of Burnt Pine Plantation. Some of them tame birds get away.

Probably made it out of a continental pheasant "hunt", I'd wager.

Rich Kaminski

I've got a buddy who loads my freezer with them once every two years. He goes to Nebraska and Argentina.
Sure hope he goes again soon because I am all out.

Last edited:

GAnaturalist

I have seen them while rabbit hunting n Dahlonega, GA @ a Nimbelwill creek farm. There are fields that run on both sides of the creek, with briars on edge. They hide out in the briars, with the rabbits. They have been there for sometime now.

Arrow3

Do they taste like chicken?? :D

nhancedsvt

Banned
had one escape from somewhere near my house not too long ago. thanks to whoever that was because she sure tasted good!!!

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
I have seen one standing right next to the burnt pine plantation sign and a few more along 142 around newborn - like tree daddy said i am sure they are escapees

Latest posts