Gun buying disease

pacecars

I think it is getting worse. I do all the research and searching the auction, dealer and classifieds for guns and finally make the choice and buy the gun and whatever sundries are needed and I am good for a couple of days. Then all of the sudden without even thinking or trying to do it I realize I am back perusing the same sights looking for something else even though the gun I just bought hasn’t even arrived! Good Lord I might need an intervention! This is worse than the ‘Rona! Anyone else have the sickness?

Last edited by a moderator:

GregoryB.

The first gun doesn't even arrive before I am surfing the net looking for the next gun. I like Ruger #1 wood and blue so they get expensive fast. The 77 International catches my eye too. Wife says they all look the same to her. Then I need reloading supplies to go with them since I like odd ball / outdated calibers.

pacecars

The first gun doesn't even arrive before I am surfing the net looking for the next gun. I like Ruger #1 wood and blue so they get expensive fast. The 77 International catches my eye too. Wife says they all look the same to her. Then I need reloading supplies to go with them since I like odd ball / outdated calibers.

I feel your pain! I love Shiloh Sharps, Stey Mannlichers and Single Actions. My dealer now asks me when should he expect the next One when I pick one up. I think I am going to need another safe. I am now waiting on a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle .50-90 (already bought the brass and five different bullet molds) and a custom Ruger Bisley Flattop convertible in .38-40/10mm (got the dies, bullets and brass waiting, and now a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle .22 LR (bought a Leupold and Talley mounts for it) and started looking at Shilohs again! I just missed a Business Rifle in .50-70 for $1500!

SC Hunter

If I had the money to buy anything I wanted I'm sure I'd be the same way. I buy about 1 or 2 a month. Sell and trade them pretty regular also.

nmurph

I finally figured out that not buying another safe was the best way not to buy more guns.

EGAD- Electrontic Gun Acquisition Disease

pacecars

If I had the money I would need a new gun room

Dub

I'm kinda that way......a gun will make it on my list and be there for a year or more as I make plans to get it.

I'm pretty much a niche shopper....each gun has a role to fulfill.

I guess one area where I have redundancy is with 1911 pistolas. I've got 'em chambered in 3", 4", 4.25", 5" and in 9mm, 10mm, .45acp and soon in .38Super.

1911's are the one platform where I have seem to have a weakness and no qualms about looking & planning for the next one even as the current one is en route. They are the perfect pistol for me. They carry well, draw well, present to target well, excellent safeties, superior trigger feel, etc, etc.

It ain't purty.....but it's how I roll. :rofl:

pacecars

I guess I should now add Knives to this list. Don’t buy a custom knife. I just ordered another one. When I say custom knives I am talking about ones made by individuals for using, the under $400 ones and some well under, not the $1000 plus collector type

Steven037

I buy them. Get all the stuff to reload for them. Reload and find a load they like. Get them shooting just right. Bored again and need something new. Problem is a can’t bring myself to sell anything. Just need something new to tinker with till I get bored.

pacecars

I keep some and trade or sell some. I have a real bad habit of shooting a deer with one and then selling it. I have a few that I do plan on keeping: a Winchester 71 .348, Brno 22 8x57mm that I plan on reboring to 9.3x62mm, a Steyr Mannlicher Professional .30-06, Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle .50-90 and the Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle .22 and a few pistols. The rest may come and go and of course there are a few on the bucket lis stil. Well crap now I need to find a new Colt Python. See what happens when I start talking to gun guys? Well off to peruse Gunbroker again

pacecars

I also have a crap load of ammo for guns I no longer have. Sometimes when digging through it I will have an epiphany and have to buy a gun for the ammo

nmurph

I guess I should now add Knives to this list. Don’t buy a custom knife. I just ordered another one. When I say custom knives I am talking about ones made by individuals for using, the under $400 ones and some well under, not the $1000 plus collector type

I have one of those, too!! Fortunately, or unfortunately, they take up very little room in the safe and the wifey doesn't pay them any attention.

pacecars

I have one of those, too!! Fortunately, or unfortunately, they take up very little room in the safe and the wifey doesn't pay them any attention.
I just bought my second one! The first one taught me how sharp a knife should be. Made me buy a Wicked Edge sharpener and ow all my kitchen knives and every other knife is sharp. My fingers (and my wife’s) have the cuts to prove it.

zedex

Gator Bait
I taught my ex to shoot and gun safety. She decided she wanted to get her firearms license and I prepped her for that. She took the test and passed.
Then she submitted her application for the license. Without even getting the license yet, she already bought the safes, trigger locks, cleaning kits......

She has over 20 rifles picked out. I already have some of her rifles stored at my place. That woman done gone and got firearm fever in a bad way. Because she works for the federal government, she intends to get some sidearms, too. Her job allows her to transfer to the rcmp and border patrol (CBSA) and restricted (handgun) license is required.

snooker1

I think it is getting worse. I do all the research and searching the auction, dealer and classifieds for guns and finally make the choice and buy the gun and whatever sundries are needed and I am good for a couple of days. Then all of the sudden without even thinking or trying to do it I realize I am back perusing the same sights looking for something else even though the gun I just bought hasn’t even arrived! Good Lord I might need an intervention! This is worse than the ‘Rona! Anyone else have the sickness?

You forgot pawn shops. I stop at a 4 different pawn shops along with local gun shops at least once a week on my way home just looking to see if any anything new has arrived. I to have the same problem. I have a list of guns I am on the search for. One of the pawn shops I visit has a 1968 Colt Python, original box, and all original paperwork, and original bill of sale. The gun is in excellent condition. I am trying to get the price down to a more manageable number.

snooker1

I also have a crap load of ammo for guns I no longer have. Sometimes when digging through it I will have an epiphany and have to buy a gun for the ammo

Just purchased a Weatherby 7mm-08 because I ended up with 9 boxes of ammo from a lot I purchased.

Reactions: Dub

SC Hunter

A while back while bored at work I made a list of all the guns I've owned and still own. I was about ashamed of myself. ?? I need to look on my computer to see if I still have the list saved. At 30 years old if I remember right I had bought, sold and traded around 100 guns and at one time I owned around 60. That number has greatly decreased now days. I will usually buy a deer rifle and kill a deer with it and send it on it's way. I own very few guns that wouldnt ever be sold for any price. I enjoy getting a new one and shooting it for the first time and getting to know and enjoy it.