Gun safe purchase thoughts

Seering

Looking to get a second safe (RSC).
Some good suggestions on where to look around the Paulding area that might lend to some door kicking in shops. Ive found a ton of deals on Cannon, Winchester, and quite a few others online. They all look ok on the initial read ... But the you read the more i get the feeling of "you get what you pay for worries". Seems that everywhere I've looked has don't buy X because of Y.

Looking for some folks that have some actual experience on how well your $1000 and under safe held up. After all even a $50 safe is great if no-one has ever attempted to get in. I don't mind some opinions, everyone has one of those . But I'm looking to put some hard facts behind this too.

Ive seen some at tractor supply which has couple that are close by, I can start by looking at those:
Cannon Gun Safe, TS6040, 60 in. H, 36 Gun Capacity. -Great size but from what i can tell so far the door looks pretty weak to prying attempts. (really poor customer support reads as well)
Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity -Door looks better - but smaller size and it has no electrical outlets. not much else on it yet either

Both of these are typical on what im finding for the "discounted shops"
I have to have space for about 12 large weapons now. (maybe another 3-4 in the next couple of years). Nothing planned but any good deals that fall into my lap, you just explain those after you bring it home, id like to be ready for those ahead of time.

I would really like to use it for more than a just the guns:
Documents, some old family pictures that could never be replaced, jewlery, etc.
The New one will go in the basement.. will be lag bolted to the floor. A concrete floor and 1 or 2 concrete walls in a corner are available. I have a Sprinkler system down there as well as well... so waterproofing is a must. Looks really are not a concern as much as functionality.

I've got a smaller one and the guns are in safely in it now, so there is no rush, but I really would like to start the planning on getting another, a substantially larger one. The sooner the better .. before the better half changes her mind. The smaller one will stay put .. and can be used for other things (My daughters boyfriends maybe ;).

Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was in Costco yesterday and saw a VERY large Winchester safe for less than $900. I've seen a lot of gun safes for sale and this one looked like it could hold at least 24 rifles or maybe a lot more. It had a band around it so I could not see inside. Looked like it should have been a lot more $$$$.

gt40

PS: I think it was this one with push button lock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJmyP4Kddz4

Last edited:

smokey30725

You might look at liberty safes as well. I have had one for 10 years and love it.

Bamafan4life

I like the winchester at tractor supply thought about the canons at tractor supply then i went to academy and saw the cannon scout line. Seems alot higher quality than the ones at tractor supply for a little more money

Hammack

You may be hard pressed to find the Winchester safe at TSC. They put them on sale at Christmas for $594, and then sold out and rain checked so many that they are still trying to fill the rain checks. I went in my local store the week before Christmas to buy two of them. I ended up having to rain check them since they were sold out. They told me it would be 7 to 10 days, and I still have not gotten them yet. They have an entire truck load of them ordered from the manufacturer, and they are saying it will be mid Feb. before the get here.

Seering

True ... I need to get by out there to see their new shop anyway.
Their online page leaves a bit to be desired :)

I got a good deal on a Liberty safe down at the Ace Hardware in Newnan two weeks ago. They had a few Franklin model safes in stock but were set to get a new shipment in, so they were trying to make room. You may also want to check out Carrollton Jewelry and Pawn off 61 toward Carrollton. They had a few safes at good prices, just not the models I was looking for.

Lukikus2

Don't buy a cheapy. Get one that is a firebox also and you won't have to worry about your guns or valuables on the inside.

Home Depot sales some good firesafe safe's.

irishredneck

A buddy of mine got a real nice scratch & dent safe from Sams Club for <$400 IIRC regular $1100. The back is scratched but the front is perfect. May want to keep an eye out in there if you dont mind a scratch or 2

jimhrnr

Don't know if you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in your area but they have a pretty good selection of safes. Fire/waterproof models made by stack-on but with Field and Stream logo on the front. Watch for the sales! Also, as mentioned above ask them if they have a scratch and dent in the back, I saved 100$ because of some minor paint/coating chips on the back side of the safe.

The cannon safes at tractor supply are huge and priced pretty good but have no bolts on the top or bottom of the door.(last time I looked)

safebuilder

The adage you get what you pay for is never more appropriate than when buying a safe. Most of the safes are imported from China or Mexico. Liberty has recently moved/moving their operations back to the US. Fort Knox is US made. As are the custom units I build. Our new safes have poured gypcrete lining and double wall steel. Locks on the imports are cheap but make sure you get a La-Gard or SG lock. As far as WATER PROOF that is tough. If the safe is in standing water it is going to leak...bolt holes in floor/elect connection/door seal. Just my .02 worth

Seering

maybe water resistant would be a better choice.

I dont expect it to be in standing water.
But in a worst case scenario. Im guessing an inch or 2 on the floor through the bolt holes and such would be ok.

Just wanted some protection from the sprinklers above it.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I looked at the Winchester gun safe again in Costco today and the sign said it holds 51 rifles and was less than $900.

gt40

Seering

Cant seem to find winchester safes listed at costco.
Do they go by a different name when sold there?

Rhino
Cannon
Sentry

Maybe its an in store only item?

deerdander

x2 browning medalion

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cant seem to find winchester safes listed at costco.
Do they go by a different name when sold there?

Rhino
Cannon
Sentry

Maybe its an in store only item?

Try calling the Duluth, GA. store about them.

As of yesterday the very big Winchester safe in Costco in Duluth, GA. is gone. They do have a much smaller one though.

gt40