Hard Labor Creek

Matthewmathis8

Any of you guys going down to the Hard Labor hunt this coming week? I got drawn again this year. Its been about six years since I was there last. Is the population still as high as it was back then?

Toliver

I hunted there about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember exactly what year but I didn't even see a deer. And I didn't hear that much shooting. I never got around to finding out exact numbers but it didn't seem like it was as high a success rate as years past.

Big7

The Oracle
Any of you guys going down to the Hard Labor hunt this coming week? I got drawn again this year. Its been about six years since I was there last. Is the population still as high as it was back then?
I have never hunted on the actual park grounds but my first FIL had land that backed up to the south end of the park and it always has had a lot of deer.

You can see them at almost any given time on the road leading to the gate. (starting about where it crosses Hawkins Academy Road) and anywhere on the golf course.

I don't know how close they will let you hunt to the golf course but that's where I would go.

Toliver

The golf course is where LOTS of people will go during the park hunt.

hunter_463

I will be down there next week. My party of 3 will be getting there sunday to do some scouting. It our first time there.

Big7

The Oracle
The golf course is where LOTS of people will go during the park hunt.
Is there a check station like the WMAs have?

Reason I ask is because I'm going about midnight and park at the access point where I'm going to be hunting so folks will know somebody is hunting back there. Going to try to catch a few Zeeeezzz in the process.

So, in other words, if you go early, do you get to "claim" your spot or do folks just come on in on top of you? I have a LOT to learn about hunting public land.

I was on my way to Cedar Creek (one morning last year and passed by one of the parking areas/gates at Clybel on the Hwy 11 side and there was probably 30 vehicles there with parking lights on waiting to shoot Dove.
This was about 5:30- fifteen to six. Pitch dark.

TonyP62

Reason I ask is because I'm going about midnight and park at the access point where I'm going to be hunting so folks will know somebody is hunting back there. Going to try to catch a few Zeeeezzz in the process.

So, in other words, if you go early, do you get to "claim" your spot or do folks just come on in on top of you? I have a LOT to learn about hunting public land.

I was on my way to Cedar Creek (one morning last year and passed by one of the parking areas/gates at Clybel on the Hwy 11 side and there was probably 30 vehicles there with parking lights on waiting to shoot Dove.
I can assure you parking there will not matter to some folks. They will come right in on you. I got drawed for Fort Yargo so im expecting the same stuff there.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

I have hunted a LOT of quota hunts.Folks will walk past you and climb a tree 20 yards from you.No need getting upset.If it bothers you you just need to move somewhere else,cause they aren't moving.
I was a mile in on a Wma on a logging road.About 8 am 3 hunters come meandering down the logging road talking pretty loud.Saw me at 30 yards,then stopped talking,but walked right past me on the logging road going farther back.10 minutes later had a whole heard of does and non legal bucks trot within 10 yards of my stand.

Toliver

I hunted down some dirt road and as far as I know only one other guy was on that road with me. Older fella that I had to pick up when I found him lost and then helped him get his buck out of the woods. They open up an area to check the deer. They'll explain all that at the mandatory meeting the night before the hunt.

hunter_463

In theory yes but what about the guy who has been there a few days already and has put the time in scouting, who has there tree stand hung already and has traveled several hours away and already has a ton of money invested on the trip just for you to show up at midnight to block them from getting to there already prepared place. Should you be the one to leave or get mad when they walk in on you or should they say oh it's ok you can even sit in my stand because you pulled up the night before and claimed the spot? The luxuries of public land!

Big7

The Oracle
In theory yes but what about the guy who has been there a few days already and has put the time in scouting, who has there tree stand hung already and has traveled several hours away and already has a ton of money invested on the trip just for you to show up at midnight to block them from getting to there already prepared place. Should you be the one to leave or get mad when they walk in on you or should they say oh it's ok you can even sit in my stand because you pulled up the night before and claimed the spot? The luxuries of public land!
Well.. For 1 you can't "flag" or otherwise restrict access so there's that.

And... I been hunting and scouting there too so I really don't know where you are going with this but the way it works on public land is first come, first served. Technically.

And... If I did see somebody in a certain area or with a stand on the ground- even though it says right there in the regulations book not to do it, I'd let him have it and help him drag one out if he popped one and hope he would do the same for me.

I met a guy down there opening day and we have hunted several times and even once in a different WMA.

Toliver

Hanging a stand the day before is a crap shoot at best. Someone may still get there first and it just becomes awkward. I know exactly where I WANT to hunt at B F Grant in a couple of weeks but I know I might not get to.

Big7

The Oracle
If I get walked in on or walk in on someone I just ask them which way they watching and I’ll watch the other direction .
Not me.. I get as far away as practical right quick.

Me and another guy came in on a spot I had done a little cursory scouting on.

I was on the ground and about the time I got I got my chair settled in fixing to tie a string up to hang some scrub brush on, I looked around and saw a flashlight going up a tree.

He didn't come in the same way I did because there was no other vehicles there when I started walking. Obviously we were both attracted to the same piece of dirt.

I just folded up my chair and moved to the alternate spot.

At least I did have enough sense to know I needed a plan B, and C and D on public land so I set the priorities accordingly.

No big deal and no reason to run your blood pressure up. That's just the way it is on public land. You can't "call" or otherwise reserve a place. It's first come, first served.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
In theory yes but what about the guy who has been there a few days already and has put the time in scouting, who has there tree stand hung already and has traveled several hours away and already has a ton of money invested on the trip just for you to show up at midnight to block them from getting to there already prepared place. Should you be the one to leave or get mad when they walk in on you or should they say oh it's ok you can even sit in my stand because you pulled up the night before and claimed the spot? The luxuries of i
That is gamble you have to.take. Best advice is to not leave a stand in the woods and to have several areas for backup. If one area has a person there move on, unless you happen to both be getting out of the truck at the same time and can coordinate together. On public land you don't have the luxuries of claiming a stand just because you scouted there. Me personally, on public land, I'm in the woods set up about 2-2.5 hours before daylight. Also some folks have years of scout time on pieces of public ground, there is still no entitlement to a spot you like.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think it’s funny when someone walks under me while I’m hanging from a tether.….it’s happened a few times. I’d go in about 9 or 10, find the most trucks in an area and start there. They’ve done all the scouting and know the best spots right? Ain’t no sense on getting there a few days early, or hanging a stand when someone else will be in it when you get there. Spend all the money you want, but don’t cry when your one plan falls apart. I suggest hanging several stands in case someone is in your #1 spot. Plans b, c, and d will pretty likely come into play, so hang multiple stands ::ke:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I think it’s funny when someone walks under me while I’m hanging from a tether.….it’s happened a few times. I’d go in about 9 or 10, find the most trucks in an area and start there. They’ve done all the scouting and know the best spots right? Ain’t no sense on getting there a few days early, or hanging a stand when someone else will be in it when you get there. Spend all the money you want, but don’t cry when your one plan falls apart. I suggest hanging several stands in case someone is in your #1 spot. Plans b, c, and d will pretty likely come into play, so hang multiple stands ::ke:
Also look for the surrounding county tags. :bounce: :rofl:

hunter_463

Well.. For 1 you can't "flag" or otherwise restrict access so there's that.

And... I been hunting and scouting there too so I really don't know where you are going with this but the way it works on public land is first come, first served. Technically.

And... If I did see somebody in a certain area or with a stand on the ground- even though it says right there in the regulations book not to do it, I'd let him have it and help him drag one out if he popped one and hope he would do the same for me.

I met a guy down there opening day and we have hunted several times and even once in a different WMA.
Your missing the point. Nobody is restricting access anywhere. It is public land so anyone who hunts public has enough sense to know that. But just because you show up at midnight and claim a spot doesn't mean you can't restrict access as well to that other person who has all that other stuff in place. I don't carry a stand or anything because you may have to change your location on the fly. So the point to all this is neither person has a right to any of it no matter how its looked at. That's the beauty of hunting public land.

P6smSKC

it does seem like the last few years people have been even less courteous hunters than they used to be.

last year I had a hunter walk in on me at PF after I had already settled in my tree. Shined him with my flashlight, and whistled lightly. he turned a little but did not go far and then posted up still within sight. this was a little bit before light but it had started to get light enough to see some shapes and rough outlines so not really the best time to have some fool tromping around the woods.

Now I know I don’t own the land, we all have the privilege to use the public land, so it’s all fair game. but I do know the right thing to do is to back out quietly and find a new spot out of sight and well away from amother hunter if I accidentally walk in on someone. Seems like more and more hunters these days don’t care at all and are perfectly content ruining your hunt and theirs Wasting everyone’s time.

guess the best thing to do is look for spots that look like a huge pain to get to and even then have a few back up spots just in case.