Has anyone been attacked by a Bird of Prey?

Ohoopee Tusker

Opening morning of bow season about 10 years ago a Hawk came in and scraped his talons across the bill of my hat. I guess he realized at the last second I wasn't a tree rat. It about scared the life out of me. Also, had another one come in but I saw it and moved my arms in time to make it turn.

southgaoriginal

never in the stand but I had some type of little hawk fly up on a dirt road on night the radio antenna hit him and spun him through the passenger side window. Didn't take long to get the truck stopped and get out. He stayed in there for a few minutes before he found his way out

mtr3333

Banned
Two owls, a red tailed hawk and a sparrow hawk... All were going straight for my face until I waved my arm. The sound of the wind through those feathers was like a jet.

sleepr71

I've called in more GHO's,hawks,and esp. Crows while predator hunting than I care to remember. Never actually been attacked,but I've stood up many,many times after calling a spot & had GHO's fly off from right above me!Crows are like an alarm system though...they always squawk & harass the incoming 4 legged predators;)

kevincox

I've had to wave them off with my arms many times. I lost a turkey decoy to one several years back. Had a hawk come in and fly off with my decoy in his talens! He dropped it when he got across the field but never could find the feather flex decoy. LOL

biggdogg

Had an owl dive bomb me before daylight while I was working my way to the backside of a beaver swamp on the ONF several years ago. It knocked me to the ground when it got my hat. Don't know what it did with my hat, but I never found it.

It had to have had a 4' wingspan or better. Scared the fool out of me!

PappyHoel

Most of my bird of prey stories involve my own personal hunting birds. But I have had screech owls land beside me in a deer stand. And I've called in GHOs while predator hunting at night. Both can be unnerving in the dark.......

Same thing with owls. They landed about ten ft away and looked at me weird. Happen to me twice.

Crimson

No bird of prey, but I wuz pecked in the top of the head until bloody by a Blue Jay when I was a young'n. Don't mess with baby Jays cause their Mom can be a mean and nasty bird!:biggrin3:

You ain't lying. The same thing happened to me when I was 6 years old. I still hate Blue Jays.

I had an Owl land about 6 feet above me in the pitch black a few years ago. All I could think about was how I was going to get to the hospital because I was by myself. Finally shooed him off and was sure that I had ruined my hunt. Shot my first buck about a hour later.

Last year I had a hawk land on my leg.

benosmose

I was in the stand with a bow and spotted a coyote at dark I started sqeakin on the back of my hand he was comin right to me then an owl smacked me in the side of the face I dropped my bow scarred the bejesus out of me never seen him comin no marks on me other than in the pants lol

Fishin & Hunting

One day while out deer hunting in my climber I had a coopers hawk fly in on some birds that were almost as big as he was. He knocked one down and then went after another one. He then came back for the one he had knocked down. The fight was on. For about ten minutes the bird tried to get away while the coopers hawk did everything it could to hang on. Now this all was happening about 20 yards away from me on the ground.

Then an owl came in and took the bird from the coopers hawk. The owl then took the bird and was flying to the tree I was in. I stood up and waved my hands. The owl took the bird to the tree beside me. It looked at me and then let the bird go. The coopers hawk then went after the bird as it flew away and the owl flew off in the other direction.

Dang you can see some great stuff in the woods when your quiet and still.

sman

Had a buddy do something real stupid....

An owl landed on the limb next to him right at dark. Bout a foot away. He remained still, then slowly turned his head toward the owl and yelled boo.

The owl attacked him. Tore him up!!!!

swalker1517

Had a buddy do something real stupid....

An owl landed on the limb next to him right at dark. Bout a foot away. He remained still, then slowly turned his head toward the owl and yelled boo.

The owl attacked him. Tore him up!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Boo!

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I was about 10 my father & I was going down the road with his window open. A cock pheasant flew through his side window and hit him in the head. Thinking back on the incident I don't know how we didn't have an accident. My father was very upset and we ate that bird.

I also saw a great horned owl swoop down and hit a barnyard cat so hard it took its head clean off and flew away with it.

gt40

SCDieselDawg

I've had a hawk try to take my hat off while up a tree. Luckily I turned and saw him with enough time to throw my hands up and holler. He changed course before getting to me, Thankfully!