Has anyone ever thought about placing a maniquin

fishtail

All of this reminds me of the "deer can't count theory".
Basically have someone walk you to the stand and leave. The deer don't realize there was more than one and believe the threat has gone.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sounds good to me. Sometimes you got to think outside the box!

Same here. They get used to the same old thing and pay it no nevermind once they have gotten used to it.

Like Justus said, I'd still focus on sitting still when in the stand.

KKrueger

The other plus is you'll have someone to talk to on the stand. When you do kill the buck you can look at the manequin and say "DID YOU SEE THAT?" and high five eachother.

Buy him a license and shoot twice as many deer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you enjoy it do it.
Since you will be bow hunting during gun season you may want to consider an orange vest too

Alexander

Knew of a guy that did a somewhat similar thing in a urban spot around here, except he would be the one in the stand and not a dummy. He would sit during peak deer moving times during the summer months and whenever a deer would enter the micro plot he had cut out in the woods he would scream and shout and scare the life out of them and send them running for the hills. After a few times of doing this the deer would always approach on high alert and always be looking towards the ladder stand to see if he was in there. Did that up until opening day of bow season which he then slipped in with his climber and setup 40 to 50 yards away from the ladder stand and on the other side of the plot that the deer would approach. Deer showed up that morning on high alert one being a decent buck and when they saw there was no danger in the stand their entire attitude changed and they acted like they had not a care in the world and began feeding. He ended up killing the one buck that slipped into the plot that morning. His dad also did a similar tactic by every time he would refill the feeder at his stand during the summer he would take a coffee can with a lid on it and corn inside and shake it as loud as he could when putting corn out, almost like a dinner bell for the deer. Once season came in he replaced the corn in the can for rocks and it worked just the same. Slip into his stand and shake that can, wait a few minutes and here come the deer to check the feeder.

j_seph

Used to have em in ours, was nice to sit in a stand more than typical and have deer come out and never look up in it as long as you did not make a noise. Have since sat in many box/tower stands that did not use decoy. Have deer come out and first reaction is to look up and see if stand is empty.
Would like to add, these box stands are great, you will see deer like crazy but as the season goes on the deer seem to figure out that someone is sitting in them and very spooky from my experience. What my dad and i did several years ago to change that up was made a decoy. A human decoy, it was nothing more than a silhouette of a person that hung in the stand. It went up when we left and came down when we got in stand. Even had another member made him one out of some old clothes like a scarecrow. The deer got used to seeing something in the stand everyday 24/7. When you would be in it they would hardly ever look up into them unless you made a noise. Also you can place a mirror in them to watch behind you or over shoulder which will cut down on your movement as well.

Timberman

We used one years ago in central Florida. Made him out of old clothes and straw. Put him in a stand on a property line that was often encroached upon. We named him Arthur. When you hunted the stand you'd just lay him over to the side and put him back when you'd leave. It got to where you'd kinda talk to him when you got in the stand... "What's up? Seen anything?"

pete56

had a ladder stand for my wife in Marion county and after watching deer go to edge of thicket and look at stand would not go into food plot if someone was in stand. I put a jacket over stick in stand and several deer were killed out of stand next couple of years. Heard a bunch of crap from other members when they found what I had done.

BUCKFAT

Friend of mine would hang a empty gallon jug or similar with a string from the roof of his stands. About the same placement of a hunters head. The Jugs would move with the wind and just be present. He says it really works.
I did not ask any further if he painted them or put a old hat or anything on them.

This tactic is used up north where gun season for deer might be a week or two long. I have heard that it works. Have never tried it myself.

Same here. They get used to the same old thing and pay it no nevermind once they have gotten used to it.

Like Justus said, I'd still focus on sitting still when in the stand.
This and a good cover scent will work.

ericflowers

This brings back memories. I hunted a big 155-165" 9pt on the hooch a couple years ago for 3 straight yrs. I won't even get into how elaborate the setup was, but it wasn't haybales in a driveway. I saw some very interesting things in those 3 yrs. I probably sat 50-75 hunts a year trying to kill this deer. I saw the deer prob 10 times in that span, as close as 20 yds bedded. Property lines stopped me from killing the deer, whenever an actual shot was presented(17 yds was the line). I got so crazy for this deer, I started driving my wife's car to park cause I was certain the deer associated my trucks exhaust or sighting with danger. I knew if he bedded on a certain hillside, he could watch me park in the only place I could park. I passed 7 bucks over 115" one morning waiting for that deer. Never killed him and it still haunts me. Watching him bury a 120" 8 into the ground one morn and plow him across the ground for about 20 yds was the kind of thing that kept me back as much as possible though. It was a natural pinch point that would rival a hot fence line in the Midwest.

I did the milk jugs painted black and hung in the tower stands back in the day but never really saw a difference knowingly. Now I am a stickler on scent control. Control wind and scent and u got it, god willing the deer are on that course that day.

firebreather

This brings back memories. I hunted a big 155-165" 9pt on the hooch a couple years ago for 3 straight yrs. I won't even get into how elaborate the setup was, but it wasn't haybales in a driveway. I saw some very interesting things in those 3 yrs. I probably sat 50-75 hunts a year trying to kill this deer. I saw the deer prob 10 times in that span, as close as 20 yds bedded. Property lines stopped me from killing the deer, whenever an actual shot was presented(17 yds was the line). I got so crazy for this deer, I started driving my wife's car to park cause I was certain the deer associated my trucks exhaust or sighting with danger. I knew if he bedded on a certain hillside, he could watch me park in the only place I could park. I passed 7 bucks over 115" one morning waiting for that deer. Never killed him and it still haunts me. Watching him bury a 120" 8 into the ground one morn and plow him across the ground for about 20 yds was the kind of thing that kept me back as much as possible though. It was a natural pinch point that would rival a hot fence line in the Midwest.

I did the milk jugs painted black and hung in the tower stands back in the day but never really saw a difference knowingly. Now I am a stickler on scent control. Control wind and scent and u got it, god willing the deer are on that course that day.

Thanks , I took an t shirt I wore yesterday up there after I came out of an 140 deg attic working on hvac job n set it in the maniquin' s lap and an plan on doing so every week in a different time pattern , I only have 1 spot to park where I'm at , and have had threatening letters to burn my new truck if I continue to hunt there , from the bleeding liberal anti that like to walk a certain trail thru there , but that subdivision hunting and your right I'm on a perfect funnel spot
And have all my proper paperwork as far as signed rights to be on land , I hope it works , seems like it's lots of work for a ghost buck , but hoping it pays off

Core Lokt

I never knew the lengths people will go to to kill a deer. I'm surprised that the mature deer in these areas haven't bee pushed out from pressure. Hope it works for you.

j_seph

We named ours seemore, he got to see more deer than us

rosewood

I have considered this also. Figured the deer would get used to seeing the outline of a head and shoulders if I put a fake one there to leave when not there. I have to say, I have never done it though.

Hunter922

If you use them I bet a trespasser would be shook up after passing by a couple of them...They may have a dual purpose..

firebreather

Nah just trying to catch ok big boy n finally quit hunting , there's even a drivelier thread on this post ,
Gotta get that sweat juice sold