Have I heard on here that you can carry open in public without a permit?

j_seph

I have my permit and always conceal but was looking over at Georgiapacking.org and came across this which says

To carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (other than on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business), you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129.

AM1

Yes, you have heard that on here before, and it's wrong. What you found and posted from GPDO is correct. Never, ever take anything said on here as the Gospel truth -especially gun laws. Check it out for yourself (which you did)

j_seph

Yes, you have heard that on here before, and it's wrong. What you found and posted from GPDO is correct. Never, ever take anything said on here as the Gospel truth -especially gun laws. Check it out for yourself (which you did)
I concur

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
So, would that mean that an out of state hunter could not hunt in GA with a pistol unless he had a GA carry license or one from a state with which GA has reciprocity. That might trip up an out of state hunter or two along the way.

tv_racin_fan

So, would that mean that an out of state hunter could not hunt in GA with a pistol unless he had a GA carry license or one from a state with which GA has reciprocity. That might trip up an out of state hunter or two along the way.

No sir.

When hunting you can carry a handgun. IF however you are hunting you best not be on the road of an WMA with a loaded handgun without a GWL.

You should check the hunting and fishing regs for the specific language on that. They spell it out pretty well as I recall.

AM1

From Code 16-11-126
"(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting."

So as long as you have a non-resident hunting or fishing license, and you are actively hunting or fishing, it would appear you are good to go.

AM1

No sir.

When hunting you can carry a handgun. IF however you are hunting you best not be on the road of an WMA with a loaded handgun without a GWL.

You should check the hunting and fishing regs for the specific language on that. They spell it out pretty well as I recall.

From the DNR site regarding weapons on WMAs

"Possessing a loaded firearm (a gun is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber or magazine, a percussion cap is on the nipple, or powder is present on the frizzen pan) in a motor vehicle, except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law."

They specifically point out the same part of the law that I posted, section f. My opinion is that if you are an out of state hunter with a handgun license that is recognized by Georgia, then you are ok. Having the recognized license would seem to be the key here. My 2 cents.

AM1

And this is what Jefferson meant by "shall not be infringed"

Agreed, but we can't pretend that the law does not exist, even if its a bad one that infringes on our rights. They weren't all implemented over night and we will not win them back that way. We just have to keep striving and winning battles when and where we can.
;)

Mars

Agreed, but we can't pretend that the law does not exist, even if its a bad one that infringes on our rights. They weren't all implemented over night and we will not win them back that way. We just have to keep striving and winning battles when and where we can.
;)

Well our rights are being removed at a far greater rate than the rights being returned. Come to think of it, I only see rights being removed. I guess we should wait till they have all of our guns and we can throw rocks and poke at them with sticks.

Sorry, I am derailing the thread. Rant over.

tv_racin_fan

Well our rights are being removed at a far greater rate than the rights being returned. Come to think of it, I only see rights being removed. I guess we should wait till they have all of our guns and we can throw rocks and poke at them with sticks.

Then you would be wrong.

In fact if you compare the number of states that allow carry of some sort today with the number that did just 20 years ago you see some difference. Go back to 1986 and compare not only the number that allow carry but the way that the permits are issued and you might be amazed at the difference.

tv_racin_fan

From the DNR site regarding weapons on WMAs

"Possessing a loaded firearm (a gun is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber or magazine, a percussion cap is on the nipple, or powder is present on the frizzen pan) in a motor vehicle, except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law."

They specifically point out the same part of the law that I posted, section f. My opinion is that if you are an out of state hunter with a handgun license that is recognized by Georgia, then you are ok. Having the recognized license would seem to be the key here. My 2 cents.

Absolutely sir Absolutely!

BRANDYN

And this is what Jefferson meant by "shall not be infringed"

Lord dont get me started on that. Our Forefathers have to be rolling in their graves with the direction this once proud Country has taken. It wont end well thats for sure.

BRANDYN

Then you would be wrong.

In fact if you compare the number of states that allow carry of some sort today with the number that did just 20 years ago you see some difference. Go back to 1986 and compare not only the number that allow carry but the way that the permits are issued and you might be amazed at the difference.

You're right and wrong and heres what I mean. Look at Conneticut & NY, NJ theyve gone crazy on their laws. They just had an article this week where they are kicking people out of rentals in Colorado for owning ANY firearms in the rented home including hunting rifles and shotguns. We may live in a gun friendly state (excluding Atlanta) but alot of the USA has gone to Confiscation/Abolish gun rights mode.

AM1

You're right and wrong and heres what I mean. Look at Conneticut & NY, NJ theyve gone crazy on their laws. They just had an article this week where they are kicking people out of rentals in Colorado for owning ANY firearms in the rented home including hunting rifles and shotguns. We may live in a gun friendly state (excluding Atlanta) but alot of the USA has gone to Confiscation/Abolish gun rights mode.

Not according to these maps from the GCO site. http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/about/prohibited-places/ CT,NY, and NJ, or even CO are not what I would consider 'alot' The media likes to focus on these states because of their anti-gun stance, but some legislators in those states (especially CO), are already beginning to pay for their decisions. Look at some of these maps. All of the states you listed have less restrictions on where you may carry than Georgia does currently.

95g atl

I would not open carry in public whether legal or not. Create too much attention.

strutlife

Open carry is asking for trouble and in the right situation COULD get you shot first. IMO. So, concealed carrying makes one tend to wonder/think in the right situation, is this person a threat or not? Bad guys tend to take threats out first. If they aren't sure, you have a chance of turning the table at the right time to your advantage.

SgtPat

So, what's your plan?

Mars

So, what's your plan?

The plan right now is to continue to try to wake people up and explain to them the that government is not working to protect their freedoms and to inform people of the appalling corruption that has become prevalent at pretty much all levels of government. Hopefully that enough people will soon be informed and get tired of this mess and stand up to the government. They only have as much power as we allow them to have. We need to get the American public to pull their heads out of the sand and realize that there are more important things than the Braves game and Duck Dynasty. There is little that a single person or even a small group of people can do to make a great change overnight but we have to do what we can to take our country back from a corrupt system and restore freedom and liberty to the American people.

Do you have any suggestions or are you content with the current state of the country/world?