Heart recipes?

ryanh487

I kept the heart from the buck I shot this morning and I'm thinking it's going to be lunch tomorrow. I've never had heart before, but I've got it all trimmed and cleaned up per the instructions I've been able to find. I opted to cut it into 4, 3/4" thick steaks/ cross sections to make getting all the undesirable bits trimmed a little easier.

Any favorite/must try recipes? If it's as good as I hear it is, I'd like to make keeping them a habit, when they remain intact anyway.

ryanh487

Unfortunately open fire was out.

I opted for a combination of my typical steak seasoning (salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary), a splash of Worcestershire, and sauteed in butter and red wine with sweet onion and about 5 cloves of minced fresh garlic. It's tasty, but I wouldn't call it life altering. I'll save my own in the future if thru survive the kill shot but I won't be asking other folks to save theirs for me.Screenshot_20191018-140849_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-140901_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-140915_Gallery.jpg

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Thyme is one of the worst spices on the planet IMO. It will ruin anything more often than not.
I should’ve had you cut in smaller chunks, hammer it and add mccormicks.
Definitely takes practice to get perfect.
Try it again. You’ll love it next thyme! Lol

ryanh487

I love thyme, I use it on all my steaks.

I think I messed up and added the garlic to the pan too early and burned it a little. I imagine it would be better if I waited to add it until the onions were almost done.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I saved one last season and cooked it the same way I do cube steak , with that said I’ll continue to feed them to the buzzards and coyotes !

ugajay

Fry it like you would anything. All my friends save me theirs. Can't get them to try it. My favorite meat in a deer. I also don't take the time or feel like I need to trim it up. Just slice it, flour it, and fry it

baddave

i don't think you can mess up heart, especially after reading all these great suggestions .. my wife makes a delicious vegetable heart soup .. i try to avoid the heartshot in order to save it .. yeah, i keep a 1 gal. ziploc bag for the heart and liver. liver is a whole nuther subject

Big7

The Oracle
cook them up in a fry pan with butter and your favorite seasoning, just like you would normal veni steaks.

Badia Sazo´n Completa is good.

If you have, or have access to a cuber, that will help a LOT.

Not only trim the arteries and veins, make sure you trim off the outside membrane.
Looks like skin.

Make sure you don't over- cook it. Should be good to go. ?

baddave

my wife makes a vegetable heart soup . heart meat has an incredible texture . i met a group of guys today that i had been meaning to stop and talk to and sho nuff they were incredibly nice fellers , but they had a little wormy buck hanging and they were not going to gut it and i commented about the heart and liver and they said "you want it"? I said "sure" - so i cut it out , put it in my zip loc bag and put it in my cooler . he had shot the heart but my wife will take care of it.. lol.. deer died of a broken heart

ryanh487

I will say that frying it to the right color overcooked the meat a little, but the flavor from the spices in the flour and that gravy made up for it. Tasted just like a good country fried steak.

ryanh487

You’ll never throw another one away.

I dunno about that, but I'll definitely think twice on it and keep them more often than not, assuming I don't liquefy them with a bullet. This guy caught it in the high shoulder/spine but I usually prefer heart/ lung shots to limit shoulder damage.

I was gonna cook up the tenderloins in the cast iron after but I was slap full from that fried goodness. They'll be on the menu in a day or two.

Latest posts