Heck of a weekend already, the wrong way.

I like to share for those that think they’ve had some bum luck...
Last night 7:00pm: I’m loading up my 4-wheeler on the back of my work truck when the ramp kicks and flips me and the 4-wheeler over onto the side of my personal truck. Dented and scraped up the rear quarter panel and hurt my back.
7:30am: I’ve been in the blind about 15 mins, rattled the horns a few times and bumped the grunt followed by a long growl. To date, the largest buck I’ve ever seen while hunting comes walking by about 40 yards away. He’s at a pretty decent pace and other than barely stopping to lift his head, he barely pays any attention to my grunt. It’s very thick where I hunt and I panic and take a bad shot. He jumps and runs, I get out, no blood, nothing.
I debate on whether to stay or not, decide to stay.
8:04am: I’m grunting a little and a spike walks up behind me and mills around before finally disappearing. This gets my hopes up that maybe I didn’t ruin the hunt.
8:34 while grunting and rattling again, I hear some shuffling behind me, I open up the back flap of the blind and about 30 yards away, a nice 8 is sharpening up his antlers for the fight. Again it’s thick so I need him to take a couple of steps. After rubbing for nearly 4 minutes, he steps out. I take my shot and he jumps and kicks and down the hill he goes. I get out shortly after and find a blood trail, a very sparse trail with small drops, but blood none the less. I manage to slowly follow it for about 100 yards before all blood stops. I called in a buddy and we walked all over the creek bottom and don’t find the deer or anymore blood.
It’s barely past noon on Saturday and all of this! I’m so defeated and bummed out. I’m finding it hard to even want to get back out there tomorrow. I don’t want to add any more to the weekend from hades. All that being said, maybe your weekend hasn’t been all that bad after all.
Cheers and good luck.
Time for a drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually a 30/30 iron sites from 1977. I use it when the areas I hunt are thick. To be fair, this is my first miss ever with this gun.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My daughter shot a nice buck a couple weeks ago and if I wasn’t able to watch him bed up I’m not sure I would of found him . He ran about 100 yards and I followed his tracks the whole way and found one small drop of blood . Perfect shot behind the shoulder but came out in front of ham . 308 150gr corlok

glynr329

I like to share for those that think they’ve had some bum luck...
Last night 7:00pm: I’m loading up my 4-wheeler on the back of my work truck when the ramp kicks and flips me and the 4-wheeler over onto the side of my personal truck. Dented and scraped up the rear quarter panel and hurt my back.
7:30am: I’ve been in the blind about 15 mins, rattled the horns a few times and bumped the grunt followed by a long growl. To date, the largest buck I’ve ever seen while hunting comes walking by about 40 yards away. He’s at a pretty decent pace and other than barely stopping to lift his head, he barely pays any attention to my grunt. It’s very thick where I hunt and I panic and take a bad shot. He jumps and runs, I get out, no blood, nothing.
I debate on whether to stay or not, decide to stay.
8:04am: I’m grunting a little and a spike walks up behind me and mills around before finally disappearing. This gets my hopes up that maybe I didn’t ruin the hunt.
8:34 while grunting and rattling again, I hear some shuffling behind me, I open up the back flap of the blind and about 30 yards away, a nice 8 is sharpening up his antlers for the fight. Again it’s thick so I need him to take a couple of steps. After rubbing for nearly 4 minutes, he steps out. I take my shot and he jumps and kicks and down the hill he goes. I get out shortly after and find a blood trail, a very sparse trail with small drops, but blood none the less. I manage to slowly follow it for about 100 yards before all blood stops. I called in a buddy and we walked all over the creek bottom and don’t find the deer or anymore blood.
It’s barely past noon on Saturday and all of this! I’m so defeated and bummed out. I’m finding it hard to even want to get back out there tomorrow. I don’t want to add any more to the weekend from hades. All that being said, maybe your weekend hasn’t been all that bad after all.
Cheers and good luck.
Time for a drink.
I would say not as bad a day as you think. 4 wheeler didn’t land on you and your not in the emergency room. Saw the biggest buck of your life and you call it a bad day. I would say you have had a lucky day. I know it could be better but.

Doug B.

When given lemons, make lemonade. All those things don't make a bad day. Or even a bad weekend. Things happen all the time. You are the one making it a bad day. The more you blame it on a bad day, the worse it will seem to get.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
When given lemons, make lemonade. All those things don't make a bad day. Or even a bad weekend. Things happen all the time. You are the one making it a bad day. The more you blame it on a bad day, the worse it will seem to get.
I walked out of Lowe's today whistling. As I walked past him an elderly gentleman turned to me & said, "you sound happy".
"Yes sir I am, I'm not working today", I replied.