Help with a dilemma

Mark K

Banned
Wow! I hope I nor my children ever set their standards that high. There's plenty of people on this site that would do whatever it took just to hunt with their fathers again. I know guys that would double with Claymores if that's what their Dad's wanted. I hope "you" find what "your" looking for because it appears it's all about "you".

Ricochet

Dang, some of y'all need to lighten up and/or reread Brad's posts a little more carefully!

I get what he is talking about and I'm sure there are outfitters out there that can accommodate multiple styles of hunting. I have the same dilemma with my (handicapped) father-in-law.

Brad, you are welcome to come hunt with me on my club in the SC Lowcountry. I have easy access to some nice spots for your dad and uncle, and we can go run and gun other areas.

Burney Mac

I don't want to hijack your thread by any means, but I will say this. My dad is 76 and mobility is not even a word I use anymore when speaking of my father. He physically can't sit by a tree anymore, walking 30 feet without the use of a crutch and me holding his other arm is a task in itself. We are left to hunting out of a blind now. We've been fortunate the last couple of years that he has atleast killed one bird. This isn't my style, nor was it his, but these are the cards we have left to play. I respect your hunting style and the standards you have set for yourself and wish you the best of luck in your search. I know we are not promised tomorrow and a million different things can happen that could cut our lives short. However, everytime my dad pulls the trigger I always wonder if that is the last bird I'll ever see him fold up. I'm always left praying for one more spring, just one more, all the while knowing this could be the last. Best of luck.

Adam

ccleroy

I don't want to hijack your thread by any means, but I will say this. My dad is 76 and mobility is not even a word I use anymore when speaking of my father. He physically can't sit by a tree anymore, walking 30 feet without the use of a crutch and me holding his other arm is a task in itself. We are left to hunting out of a blind now. We've been fortunate the last couple of years that he has atleast killed one bird. This isn't my style, nor was it his, but these are the cards we have left to play. I respect your hunting style and the standards you have set for yourself and wish you the best of luck in your search. I know we are not promised tomorrow and a million different things can happen that could cut our lives short. However, everytime my dad pulls the trigger I always wonder if that is the last bird I'll ever see him fold up. I'm always left praying for one more spring, just one more, all the while knowing this could be the last. Best of luck.

Adam

Great post Brother!

Brad

Wow! I hope I nor my children ever set their standards that high. There's plenty of people on this site that would do whatever it took just to hunt with their fathers again. I know guys that would double with Claymores if that's what their Dad's wanted. I hope "you" find what "your" looking for because it appears it's all about "you".

I think you need to go back and reread all of my posts. I may have made a poor choice in words calling it a dilemma. There has never been a question whether I was going to go on this hunt. My dilemma was the thought of an outfitter dictating the hunt. As I said before I cherish every minute I get to spend in the woods with my family and I do whatever it takes for them to enjoy the woods still. Thank you ricochet for a very generous offer,I appreciate it a lot.

Mark K

Banned
I read your post. You would rather not shoot a turkey, than to stoop as low as your dad and uncle that shoot one out of a blind is how it came across.

So if your Dad asked you to sit in a blind and hunt with him you'd refuse?? If two gobblers came out and your dad shot one and handed you the gun so y'all could double up, you'd refuse??

Some may applaud you for your high standards, but one day you'll look back and say I wish...

Good luck with your outfitter. I'm sure there are plenty out there. But, for what you'ld pay for an outfitter, you could probably lease just turkey rights on a piece of property and hunt whenever and however you want. Have blinds set up for kids and seniors and chase'm on the rest of the property.

If your looking for a different species, we go to Kansas every year on public land. We also have access to private land just by asking (and a 5th of Crown Royal). We always set up a blind on the private land incase of rain and generally just hunt the public land. Fairly easy hunting and Rio's are awesome birds.

neckringer

all you have to do (if you want) is take yourself back 30 years ago.

people had the same issues and always had. The how do I keep my dad in the woods or how will I ever hunt with my uncle again etc etc.

I don't know where you draw your limits. My dad is 70 he can still get around real good and mainly chases birds around our 200 acre farm in SE GA. That is not a big place but after a few laps he gets tired.
He has placed 2 lawn chairs in the woods and built brush blinds around them and when he gets tired or wants to go sit in the rain he goes and gets in one for a bit.
This year he finally started to call me to come get him in a motorized vehicle. Prior to this year he has always walked everywhere. To his account he does get up before dark. Turkey hunt till 11:00 then farm till dark. That is his vacation time. He is not retired and him and my mom still own a business in Florida.
he does use decoys sometimes but since he still moves around a lot he does not use them much because when one opens up he still tries to go get in position.

Im sure it will be very easy for you to find an outfitter that will help you with your needs.
I would also think about just putting a folding chair in a brush blind, be sure to give them a shooting stick as they will not be able to rest their gun on knee.

I know my parents have done a lot for me that was an inconvience for them or was different from their standards.

I think the only person that holds the answer you are looking for is you.
15 years from now will you wished you had done something else?
will you wished you would have just gone with the flow?

how you can bring it all together I don't know. However, I do know that anything is possible.