here we go again....Belgian Malinois

dtala

My first Mal was a female from La, named her Taz. She was my K-9 when I was a GW in Alabama, worked 8 years with me. She saved my bacon on at least two occasions. She retired with me in 2005 and died in 2014.

Fast forward thru several Mals. Last Friday I see a male Mal in a local shelter...named Taz. I don't NEED another Mal(I have two and a Dutch Shepherd) but I just couldn't let him waste away in a shelter. The Mals are hard to home out and suffer in the shelter environment. So Tuesday we went to the shelter and came home with a new(to us) Malinois. 1-11/2 years old, fawn color, VERY rambunctious and friendly. He is going to be a handful to teach obedience and manners but I believe in him. We shall see.

I'll get a pic later.

Duff

Great job! Looking forward to the pics

Hillbilly stalker

The dog is much better off with you. Most people don’t realize the time an energy they take. They are special. Good luck and shoot us a picture when you get a chance.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Good luck, we enjoy our dutch/mal mix.

pjciii

With his name being Taz you just couldn't pass it up. Good for both you and Taz. My produce lady at Ingles has a son in Tennessee that trains Mals. Said he loves it.

WaltL1

It must be sheer torture on a dog like that to be stuck in a shelter.
You are a good man for breaking him outta there!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
My buddy thought I reduced the food for my lab, told him he's on the attack dog puppy workout.

Mongo loves his kong, drops it over the fence for the neighbor kids to throw it.

dtala

update, well Taz is adjusting to his new home and finally calming down...some. 68# and 14 months old. He is food driven so I have an edge in his training. He has learned, come, sit, down, kennel pretty good. He will auto sit before we go thru a door, no more busting thru. I have high hopes for this youngster.

ditchdoc24

I don’t browse this discussion much but my family has fallen in love with the Malinois breed. It started in 2013 when I became a K9 handler. I handled Dee-moe until he retired in 2016 and he continued to live with us until he passed in 2021. My daughter was born about the same time as I got him so she always had the attitude that Dee-moe was HER dog, not my boss's. After he retired, my wife and daughter spoiled him rotten and his passing left a huge gap in our family. My wife finally decided that she had to have another dog so we adopted Tillie from the Lifeline Animal Project in Dekalb County in 2021. Tillie is 2/3 German Shepherd and 1/3 Malinois and has become my wife's baby. On Saturday we went back to Lifeline and adopted Gunner, a 5 month old Malinois puppy who has since attached himself to my daughter. Our other dogs are adjusting to him slowly but he's fitting into the family well. If anyone is looking to adopt a dog, then I recommend they look at Lifeline.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've heard that Belgian Mals are smarter than most 16 year old boys. :LOL:
Seriously, I heard that they're intelligence meant you had to keep them busy so they wouldn't get depressed from not being challenged.