Here's My Dilema

Todd E

I'd like to get your thoughts before I reveal mine.

I am in a club in Hancock County. Rather small at 400 acres. Consists of one tract (300 acres) that is a balance of mixed pines and hardwoods. These are mature old growth trees. It is loaded with white and red oaks. None of the acorns are being touched. Looks and feels like marbles on ground. The other tract is 100 acres mainly consisting of regenerated growth clearcut, open fields, and hardwood draws. We have foodplots spread throughout both tracts. I mainly hunt the 100 acre tract, as I like the thick junk/trash. The dues are cheap at $250.

On the weekends, it gets rather crowded as there is a leanient visitor policy. It gets rather rowdy with drunks, and yes....that is what they are....nothing casual about it. Radios blasting til 3am and all throughout day. Always a campfire smoldering. On and on and on.

All over this board are posts that it is on in Hancock. We aren't seeing squat. We rarely see does. I rarely get them on film. Summer and early season I get good buck activity. Right now, what buck activity there is, is at night. The good bucks, such as the one I saw at 7:20am one morning on his scrape line...have vanished. Adjacent property hunters are right on the line and are shooting what deer head our way.

I have seriously begun to weigh my options and hold many thoughts about all of this. Thoughts about the noise, pressure, lack of does, etc. What are your experiences and thoughts? I'll share mine after your replies.

letsgohuntin

Todd E said:
It gets rather rowdy with drunks, and yes....that is what they are....nothing casual about it.

That would do it in for me... I hate it when "hunters" just use camp as a get away to drink and cuss all weekend long. :mad:

Anyways, I would ditch those guys and focus on the 100acre tract for sure and if you have to camp out maybe set up a primitive camp site somewhere else if possible. Im sure someone else from your club feels the same as you and would join you.

Last edited:

GeauxLSU

Not being funny, but you tend to get what you pay for. I'd be miserable in, and GONE from, the situation you describe in a hurry. I don't get to spend enough time in the woods so it's precious. I'm not going to let others ruin it for me.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

WildBuck

I would make myself a camp away from the drinking. I do not have anything against it i just do not want to be around it. My hunting time is my get away time .I am not around it any other time and do not want to be around it while hunting.
I have been down that road before .I got off at the first exit.

Meriwether Mike

Make the best of it this year and move on!

PAPALAPIN

TODD

Different groups get clubs up for different reasons. Some to hunt, some to drink and cuss, some for other reasons. I agree with you, but what is the consensus of the club.

A while back someone posted about a club that will not allow women or kids. The guy posting was appaled that they would not allow kids. He was a first year member and objected to it.

You need to find a club with a group of hunters that share your views of what a club should be about. There are quite a few clubs that you would fit well with that are looking for members every year.

Why would you want to stay in a group that you object to. Try to find the back issue of GON that lists clubs looking for members. Make some calls and get a feel for how they run it. Too late for this year but you could be starting to line up for next year.

The hard cussing, hard drinking bunch may look at you and I as "SISSIES" and not want us around anyway. That's fine because we don't fit their group.

I don't know if you want to go this far but there are clubs that do not allow alcohal at all. Some are CHRISTIAN MEMBERS ONLY clubs.

If you do your homework, you should be able to find a good fit for next year. You will enjoy your membership experiences more if you are with a group that thinks and hunts like you do.

GOOD LUCK

H

HT2

Todd......

Like the others have said......

I'd be lookin' for somethin' else......

Those are the "exact" kind of so-called hunters that I want nothin' to do with.....We have people that have a good time, and "yes" that drink a few beers, but there is a "DISTINCT" set of rules that we have, and if you don't abide by them.....YOU'RE GONE!!!!!!!!!

You know deer are kinda like people........We are both creatures of "habit".....If those so-called hunters have the same 'ol routine, especially when goin' to the woods, the deer are gonna learn. With the "ruckus" that is goin' on (from what you've described) it's no wonder that the deer are leary and feelin' the pressure....

I'd look around and get the heck out of there........You don't need to hunt around a group like that.....

Now, here's the downside.....

I'm afraid you're more than likely not gonna find a club (especially in Hancock) with "dues" that cheap.......

Good Luck bud!!!!!!!! :)

Trigabby

Todd E said:
The dues are cheap at $250.

On the weekends, it gets rather crowded as there is a leanient visitor policy. It gets rather rowdy with drunks, and yes....that is what they are....nothing casual about it. Radios blasting til 3am and all throughout day. Always a campfire smoldering. On and on and on.

Sorry, man.. You get what you pay for.. Look for something else, quick!

short stop

hate to jump on the band wagon but I would rather hunt public ground than pay $250.00 to hunt with drunks . Its awful hard to come across property with good bucks for that cheap of a price .odds are you are going too have too raise the pot limit too $500 -$1000 to get somewhere ---that weeds out the majority of party pals ---- my $0.02 good luck ::ke: SS

mtwuga

Man I would find another place quick. That aint worth it. Dude going huntin is a place of comfort and peace, and that sounds like thats taking all the fun out of it. My bet is your better off going somewhere else. Goodluck

Arrow Flinger

I would use the club for a weekday hunting spot and find something else to hunt on weekends then next year, be gone. The place is only going to get worst until the crowd thins out. There may be some hope for late season if the majority of the members give it up for the year. That usually happens with this kind of folks.