Hey Boomers, what do you think?

Baroque Brass

Given the current state of our country and the direction it seems to be headed, do you think we were born in the best time to live in America? We missed the Great Depression and World War Two. Yes, we had Vietnam and other wars that affected us either directly or indirectly, but if not for that, would you have preferred to grow up in another era? We certainly had the best music, cars, and girls!

Redbow

The old America that I lived in had its ups and downs but not like is happening today. I am glad I lived in this country when things were much better for everyone. I saw what was coming to this nation quite some time ago several decades in fact and I tried to tell others about what I was seeing but they thought I was nuts I guess. Now the ones that are still living at that time have kinda seen the light of what I was trying to tell them was going to happen in the years to come.

Its still hard for me to believe that our country has fallen so far down the sewer pipe in just a few short years and getting worse every day. No I haven't lived in the best time to live in America, I think Daniel Boone and I would have gotten along just fine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I would have to say yes, I’m happy with the period I have lived in. I was born into a house without electricity or running water. I‘ve seen development of everything from the electrification of Appalachia to smart phones and AI. Great time to grow up as a child, a simpler time. Folks are quick to romanticize earlier times. So many deadly diseases were wiped out by the time of the boomers or during that time. The farm cemeteries are littered with reminders of the mortality rate prior to mid 1900s.

BeerThirty

As a millennial, I can undoubtedly say that I wish I was born in an earlier era.

However, I'm talking like the early/mid 1800's, particularly westward expansion.

If you made me pick recent eras, then yes, I think Boomer era is where it's at.

sinclair1

Great time period for me (GenX) Had to walk to 7 eleven with a dime for a pay phone, to call a girlfriend because dad was expecting a phone call.

A few decades later buy stock in the market with the touch of a button on a cell phone in a half second transaction.

Started in the slow lane and will finish in the fast lane.

I actually like the modern technology, but the moral decay is getting harder to tolerate.

Last edited:

Triple C

Boys…gonna be the eternal optimist and say the world gonna be fine for all after the Boomer era.

Hoodlums, thugs n thieves were around when I was growing up. Lazy folks were around. Druggies for sure were around.

When I look around at the next two generations behind me at work, I see a bunch of smart, motivated, hard-working guys n gals that I’m convinced will be as good, if not better leaders than many of us boomer guys n gals.

Plenty of “stuff” sickens me today but I swear, I think my parents n grandparents probably thought the same when the hippie/long-hair/rock-n-roll era first emerged when I was just reaching my teenage years.

transfixer

I would have been fine if I had been born in the early to mid 1800's, a simple life suits me fine, I am pretty sure I'd have thrived back then,

I don't have the optimism of Triple C in our younger generation, I don't see it in my line of work, or in those I come in contact with outside of my work, young guys now are addicted to video games, and will forsake almost everything to play them all night long, and all day if they can get by with it, social media has ruined our younger generation, they think why work hard when I can make money on social media ? lol

Everywhere I turn lately I see unintelligent stupid people! maybe its the area I'm in ? but when I've worked in ritzy upper class areas it was no better ? People have been dumbed down by the new media and social media

to add to this, my daughter is 29yrs old, a very attractive girl, she tells me guys her age are immature idiots ,, I've seen two or three guys she's went out with, and I tend to agree !

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yessir. In the country we grew up feral. Even my city cousins loved to come stay for a week or more in the summer to run feral with us for most of the day.

Guilty. My two brothers and me used to have some old camping out quilts. We would take them and fishing poles and go fishing all night. We would usually take a couple of crippled chickens for bait. We raised broilers.
The main place was at a pond in our pasture. Kinda spooky to be woke up by cows in the middle of the night. ;)

B. White

Boys…gonna be the eternal optimist and say the world gonna be fine for all after the Boomer era.

Hoodlums, thugs n thieves were around when I was growing up. Lazy folks were around. Druggies for sure were around.

When I look around at the next two generations behind me at work, I see a bunch of smart, motivated, hard-working guys n gals that I’m convinced will be as good, if not better leaders than many of us boomer guys n gals.

Plenty of “stuff” sickens me today but I swear, I think my parents n grandparents probably thought the same when the hippie/long-hair/rock-n-roll era first emerged when I was just reaching my teenage years.

I don't know what group I fall into, but I remember talking to my father about what he thought back then with the rock folks and long hair. He was born in 1919 and said he didn't care how long it was as long as they washed it. Things going on today are in a whole different category, but I guess that is what you get when society decides mental hospitals are cruel and you accept any kind of behavior as normal.

oldfella1962

By the time I can’t tolerate society…I won’t be part of it.
Good point! Be part of the solution, not the problem. :unsure:
I can't really pick a better time to be alive, to be honest. Every era has good points & bad points when you really think about it. And like they say "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". :huh:

sinclair1

Yes. Boomers as a generation ( not ALL ) had it very easy compared to others.
How do you figure? It’s so easy right now it’s scary. 28 percent of people work hybrid with two days a week in office, 12 percent never leave home and work in pajamas.
A good many of the last decade had 2% home loans and 0% car loans.

You can get a home loan without leaving your bed. Get groceries delivered instead of shopping. Run the truck thru a hand wash.

Let’s not forget the Boomers had the Carter years. The tax rate for the Boomers that made a good wage was insane. The Top income rate was over 90%.

Granted the last few years have been tough, but they don’t make a generation.

Most important was a Boomer took me under his wing and taught me how to advance in life. A bunch of stuff people think is stupid today but it worked for me. Uncompromising work ethic, show up on time and be a man of your word.

hopper

Yessir. In the country we grew up feral. Even my city cousins loved to come stay for a week or more in the summer to run feral with us for most of the day.
I loved visiting my family in Cochran for a week or two but I think some of us suburb kids were feral as all get out. Especially us single parent kids:rockon: