Hit or Miss??

broach0018

Anybody ever shot a hog between the eyes with a 22 mag and it run instead of drop???? Had this happen to me tonight and I know I hit him! Had three boars come straight at me and took the head on shot and he ran along with the others. It got dark on me fast and no flashlight so im not sure if I got em or not!:huh::banginghe

atwenterprise

Had it happen to me twice in one sitting with arrows. I shot 4 hogs a couple weeks ago. First pig took one through the shoulder blades and took off, broke the arrow and I shot it again at 30 yards when she was staggering. Shot the second one, nice size boar, right between the eyes at 8 yards while it was looking at me in the stand. The arrow went through the head and came out between the front legs and broke off with the nock, fletching and part of the arrow still in him and HE RAN OFF! I got down to go and get the first pig and two more came out. I shot the third one from ground level. Hit him behind the front shoulder and low and he hit the ground. The fourth pig took off with the third pig and I made some gutteral grunt sounds and scratched my boots on the ground and the fourth one came back. I shot him in the forehead at 20 yards. The arrow disappeared in his body running length ways into him. I shot him straight on. I saw the nock and some fletching sticking out of his forehead when he took off. This all happened while it was raining like crazy. I drug out the two dead hogs and never did find the two with arrows in their heads. Rain washed out the blood when I tried to find them the next morning. So if anyone sees a black and gray boar and a solid black boar with arrows sticking out of their head, take a pic for me, cause I still can't believe it.

Apex Predator

Skulls are hard to penetrate on hogs. If your shot is not perpendicular to the skull, it has a very high likelihood of a ricochet. This can happen with high power rounds as well, just not as likely. A head shot is always risky, but a frontal head shot is a very low odds endeavor. I won't take this shot unless he is very close (inside 10 yards), or very much down hill from me, so that the projectile angle approaches 90 degrees to the skull.

crowslayer

Banned
Anybody ever shot a hog between the eyes with a 22 mag and it run instead of drop???? Had this happen to me tonight and I know I hit him! Had three boars come straight at me and took the head on shot and he ran along with the others. It got dark on me fast and no flashlight so im not sure if I got em or not!:huh::banginghe

no, but i shot one between the eyes with a 44 mag. it dropped where it stood

treemanjohn

Banned
Between the eyes is not a good shot unless you're using something with a little punch. Years ago I hit a hog between the eyes with a 223 and it ran off. A month later another member of my club killed the same pig and it had a racing stripe right between her ears where my bullet skipped off.

abrannon

I have shot them in the trap with a 22 LR and they have dropped right then, I have also shot one with a .357 Mag that dropped like you hit it with a hammer just to get right back up and try and tear my trap to pieces.

Hogs are tough and thier skulls are real tough. I have even had one stand up after shooting it in the head with a .308. It dropped to the ground, the legs started kicking like they usually do. Then as I watched it got its back legs under it and stood up with it's shoulder and head still on the ground. Then it sort of spun like a top for about 1-2 minutes and the next thing I knew it was standing on all fours and starting to walk off. A second shot to the head and it was all over then.

broach0018

Went back thismorning to see if he did go down and maby we overlooked him last night but no hog! Dissapointing but there will be plenty more chances. Im thinking i did hit him but it probably bounced off of him because he was staring straight at me and i was ground level. Next time ill be sure to put it behind hs ear!!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the miss............ I hope you learned not to go into the woods in the afternoon without at least one flashlight ;)

gnarlyone

shot

If you shoot a hog "Between The Eyes"... you have shot too low with a small caliber bullet....draw an imaginary "line" from 1 eye to the opposite ear and the same with the other eye/ear.....shoot where the 2 lines cross...graveyard dead.

broach0018

If you shoot a hog "Between The Eyes"... you have shot too low with a small caliber bullet....draw an imaginary "line" from 1 eye to the opposite ear and the same with the other eye/ear.....shoot where the 2 lines cross...graveyard dead.

Ahh good point! Makes sence with the long snout and forhead! Thanks!:cheers:

bigreddwon

Ive had them run off two times with straight on shots right between the eyes. Once with a 223 and once with a 308. Most of the time with either round, they die right there in their tracks. But Ive had rounds deflected. Surprised the heck out of me, no blood either. Both cases they were the first hog's shot, they dropped and I moved onto other hogs. When it was all done, they were gone.. Never would have believed it if I had not seen it.

broach0018

I was blown away myself!! I mean this guy didnt even flinch!! But I could have sworn I heard him crash! IDK...its unreal how tuff they really are. Thier like a dang mini tank!

treemanjohn

Banned
22 mag in the ear hole = dead pig! Another thing to consider is bullet selection. Hollow points are worthless on swine. I really like remington 40gr soft points they'll scramble up a pigs melon pretty good

broach0018

22 mag in the ear hole = dead pig! Another thing to consider is bullet selection. Hollow points are worthless on swine. I really like remington 40gr soft points they'll scramble up a pigs melon pretty good

Thanks this is helpful info. Ive heard right behind the ear but never heard in the ear hole itself. I will take this into consideration next time for sure!:cool: