Hog Killing Weather Here

Redbow

On the NC coast this morning. My Grandpa would be proud of this cold weather this morning a good time to process fresh hog meat back in the day.

Its 29 right here now in Bogue NC other areas are in the mid 20's or colder this morning, a hard freeze in some areas. The weatherman says we are having January temperatures in November for our area. Just a few days with this cold snap and the temps will be back in the sixties with lows in the fifties. We threw another blanket on the bed last night and it felt good. A good time to go Speckled Trout fishing this morning but I think I'll pass.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
On the NC coast this morning. My Grandpa would be proud of this cold weather this morning a good time to process fresh hog meat back in the day.

Its 29 right here now in Bogue NC other areas are in the mid 20's or colder this morning, a hard freeze in some areas. The weatherman says we are having January temperatures in November for our area. Just a few days with this cold snap and the temps will be back in the sixties with lows in the fifties. We threw another blanket on the bed last night and it felt good. A good time to go Speckled Trout fishing this morning but I think I'll pass.
My grandparents always butchered hogs over the Thanksgiving week. Cooked it all down in cast iron kettles, packed it in clay pots and covered it with the rendered lard.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

Morning Sir, glad to hear your report and keep wropped up for a couple of days.

Redbow

Morning Sir, glad to hear your report and keep wropped up for a couple of days.
Morning fishfryer and everyone. Yep, I think this old man had better stay wrapped up for a couple days now. I can't take the cold like I used to years ago some friends of mine and I would fish for Stripers on the Santee-Cooper lakes in very cold weather. The fish seemed to school better when it was cold. But those days are long gone for me. Old age pinches and it won't ever let go now, not until there is nothing left to pinch, hee hee.

Y'all have a good day, and stay warm.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Morning fishfryer and everyone. Yep, I think this old man had better stay wrapped up for a couple days now. I can't take the cold like I used to years ago some friends of mine and I would fish for Stripers on the Santee-Cooper lakes in very cold weather. The fish seemed to school better when it was cold. But those days are long gone for me. Old age pinches and it won't ever let go now, not until there is nothing left to pinch, hee hee.

Y'all have a good day, and stay warm.
Those huge shellcrackers in Santee are what I would like to get into, or some of those beautiful redbreast in the black water rivers.

Redbow

Those huge shellcrackers in Santee are what I would like to get into, or some of those beautiful redbreast in the black water rivers.
Oh man, the Shellcrackers in those lakes grew big, we used to go up to the headwaters of Lake Marion a place called Rimini in the spring when the fish started bedding up there. Them ole Shellcrackers were not as spooky as Bream were, you could sit right next to the Shellcrackers as they were bedding and catch the limit of them.

And we fished the Little Pee Dee River for Redbreasts decades ago at Galivants Ferry SC. A friend of mine and I caught over 30 one morning out of the same hole with catalpa worms. The last time I was there the river had changed so much and all of our favorite fishing holes were filled in with sand. Two guys were catching big Blue Catfish out of the bends in the river where the water was deeper. People were saying the Blue Cats were eating everything in the rivers. LIttle Pee Dee was a beautiful river to be on and at one time it had excellent fishing.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
That’s exactly what I was referring to, I’m glad you got to do it for me.

Redbow

That’s exactly what I was referring to, I’m glad you got to do it for me.
Wish you could have been with us back in those days. The White Oak River here holds good catches of Shellcrackers and Bream and a few Redbreasts in with them at times. We only fished the White Oak one time this past summer, our ole Jon boat just sits and waste's away anymore with no use. I guess I should sell it but I hate to be without a boat. Time takes care of everything on this Earth, the urge to get out on the water now sure ain't like it used to be with us.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Wish you could have been with us back in those days. The White Oak River here holds good catches of Shellcrackers and Bream and a few Redbreasts in with them at times. We only fished the White Oak one time this past summer, our ole Jon boat just sits and waste's away anymore with no use. I guess I should sell it but I hate to be without a boat. Time takes care of everything on this Earth, the urge to get out on the water now sure ain't like it used to be with us.
On the same page!

Redbow

My grandparents always butchered hogs over the Thanksgiving week. Cooked it all down in cast iron kettles, packed it in clay pots and covered it with the rendered lard.
Yes, my Grandpa did the same Thanksgiving week was hog killing time. And Grandpa could always pick the coldest days to kill hogs on. Which was good for processing the meat, stuffing sausage and Grandma making her souse meat. Good ole cracklings and baked sweet taters too.

And hog chitterlings for Grandpa and me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
13 up here on the other end of the state this morning. Hasn't gotten out of the 30s for three days now, with 35mph wind gusts sprinkled in for fun.

Redbow

Cold in them thar hills. It was cold in the part of NC that I grew up in as well. Especially in the 50's and on into the 60's. Many times the thermometer was reading in the single digits, and the weatherman would say its now -5 degrees in Asheville NC and -15 below in Boone..
13 up here on the other end of the state this morning. Hasn't gotten out of the 30s for three days now, with 35mph wind gusts sprinkled in for fun.

Redbow

I remember one winter morning in January my cousin and I headed down to Santee's Lake Marion for running some schools of rockfish that day. When we put the boat in it was 18 degrees. We motored away from the boat ramp and then my cousin pushed the throttle forward to get the boat up on plane. We had not gone very far before the outboard came back to idling speed. He looked at me and said, I think we had better troll for Stripers this morning, its too cold to go out on the big lake and chase the schools. I agreed with him and we caught a few fish that day. Being out in that cold and on the water fishing was still better than a day at work.