Hoping we keep GA wildlife regulation based in science

HughW2

Interesting: Keep GA wildlife regulations based in science.

www.Forbes.com/sites/chrisdorsey 2023/09/27 ballot box initiatives

Animal rights groups and blue states liberals are trying to throw money and left wing votes to close down hunting opportunities and fund initiatives like wolf reintroduction.

I would love to hear Charlie Killmaster perspective on this growing trend nationally.

Toliver

Wasn't this in the news last year, too?

HughW2

Soros and his kind are investing their money to sway more than just politics. They are trying to dictate how we live. Biden just made a move last week to reintroduce grizzlies into Eastern Washington state in some wilderness areas that back right up to prime cattle country. How do you think those ranchers feel? Do you think anyone will be able to hunt those bears?

menhadenman

A big problem is that the number one employer in the United States is…

The federal government. Followed by the state governments. Followed by the folks receiving contract dollars, including private, academic, tribal, and NGOs.

This is not even in the pharmaceutical or military space. Just fish and wildlife. And the “green new deal” and environmental appacolypse.

Take a look at the endangered species act in the western us!

And it’s all “soft money” - aka if you don’t write enough tickets, a patrolman gets laid off.

These folks vote and we we know who controls the narrative (media and colleges).

Not hard to do the math. I call it the mafia model.

And the states… they have to protect the resource. And sell licenses. And deal with feds. And the public. And they’re crippled with bureaucratic nonsense and decreasing compensation for a thankless job.

No chance of success if you ask me.

Sorry for the rant.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
They never give up, it's because they will always be dumb people who don't know anything about nature or wildlife. But they have opinions and we know how that goes.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I couldn't get the article to come up so I can't comment too much on it. One thing I will say is that the southern states have largely done a much better job than the rest of the country at keeping the public involved in the decision-making process and maintaining a lot of support for hunting among the non-hunting majority of citizens. While I do believe that keeping the public heavily involved in legislation and regulation is good, the ballot initiatives are a little scary because they lack context for so many people.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A big problem is that the number one employer in the United States is…

The federal government. Followed by the state governments. Followed by the folks receiving contract dollars, including private, academic, tribal, and NGOs.

This is not even in the pharmaceutical or military space. Just fish and wildlife. And the “green new deal” and environmental appacolypse.

Take a look at the endangered species act in the western us!

And it’s all “soft money” - aka if you don’t write enough tickets, a patrolman gets laid off.

These folks vote and we we know who controls the narrative (media and colleges).

Not hard to do the math. I call it the mafia model.

And the states… they have to protect the resource. And sell licenses. And deal with feds. And the public. And they’re crippled with bureaucratic nonsense and decreasing compensation for a thankless job.

No chance of success if you ask me.

Sorry for the rant.
This ain’t the political forum. Unfortunately politics invade every aspect of our lives and pretty much destroy everything it touches. I will say I constantly am thankful I live in Ga where I feel like the state in general is a Pro hunting state…….I’d add Florida and Texas in the pro mix as well. Well said @menhadenman …..100%!

HughW2

Here in Georgia we are currently facing the Ocmulgee River National Park push. Several groups are pushing to expand from the current 2,000 acre site located in Macon at the Indian burial mounds to encompass an area that includes all the way south to Hawkinsville along the Ocmulgee. This area would be The Ocmulgee National Park and be federally managed. Think about the impact on hunting in Southern Bibb, Twiggs, Houston and Pulaski counties. Do a search on line and see how many different articles you come up with on Ocmulgee National Park. Think about how this would affect hunters, landowners, timber managers, farmers. The left is pushing for it, and (to @C.Killmaster point) the ”average” voter thinks a new National Park in Georgia wouldn’t that be nice!

Last edited:

HughW2

Charlie and anyone else pulling up article. Search: Chris Dorsey Ballot Box initiatives. Also search Ocmulgee National Park.
Georgia Conservancy, Turner Foundation (Ted Turner)and Peyton Anderson Foundation ( publisher of Macon Telegraph) are major financial donors for this push.

Last edited:

HughW2

Here is a map of proposed National Park boundaries:

Attachments

• IMG_0340.png
    IMG_0340.png
    986.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0340.png
    IMG_0340.png
    986.9 KB · Views: 40

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie and anyone else pulling up article. Search: Chris Dorsey Ballot Box initiatives. Also search Ocmulgee National Park.
Georgia Conservancy, Turner Foundation (Ted Turner)and Peyton Anderson Foundation ( publisher of Macon Telegraph) are major financial donors for this push.
I did that and the article doesn't come up on Forbes, it's like they pulled the article down. There's a link for it in a Google search, but it says page not found after clicking on it.

HughW2

Sorry the links are faulty. If Interested you can easily Google the Ocmulgee NP initiative. Plenty of articles on it. From the financial donors I would say that it is close to being a done deal. Congress must approve a new park; I just hope our HR reps garner some public feedback as well as feedback from GA DNR before rubber stamping a new NP that will be managed by the federal fish and wildlife.

lampern

Here in Georgia we are currently facing the Ocmulgee River National Park push. Several groups are pushing to expand from the current 2,000 acre site located in Macon at the Indian burial mounds to encompass an area that includes all the way south to Hawkinsville along the Ocmulgee. This area would be The Ocmulgee National Park and be federally managed. Think about the impact on hunting in Southern Bibb, Twiggs, Houston and Pulaski counties. Do a search on line and see how many different articles you come up with on Ocmulgee National Park. Think about how this would affect hunters, landowners, timber managers, farmers. The left is pushing for it, and (to @C.Killmaster point) the ”average” voter thinks a new National Park in Georgia wouldn’t that be nice!

They enacted the New River national park in West Virginia and still allow hunting on it.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They enacted the New River national park in West Virginia and still allow hunting and trapping on it.
New River National Park and PRESERVE...hunting is allowed on the preserve, no trapping allowed.

The park took 8K acres away from hunters.

Tree stands, blinds and trail cams can't be left over 24 hours, I live 5 minutes from the HQ.

Their use of "park" includes all NPS property, both the park and preserve.

Last edited:

lampern

Okay sorry about the trapping info but closing 800 out of 70,000 acres to hunting isn't bad and probably for safety reasons

Latest posts