Hornady SST

huntnfish247

Any one had any experience with the Hornady SST bullets? I am thinking about loading some 139 grain and 154 grain for my 7mm Rem. magnum. I have heard bad things about the Nosler ballistic tips and was wondering if anything was different with the hornadys. I will be hunting whitetails.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have had good luck with the sst and the NBT.Its about all i shoot.

Reactions: Dub

stumpman

Banned
Both my boys shoot the sst hornadys and they shoot fine and are very accurate one is a 7mm08 its 139gr the other is a 3006 its 150gr.

Nitro

Banned
Both bullets have worked well for me many,many times.

I am trying the Accubonds in my 7 Rem Mag this year .........just for a change of pace.

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
What is the difference between a sst and a Nosler Ballistic tip? I went to Hornady's web site, but they don't have any information. I have had great luck with the 165 grain ballistic tip in 30 caliber. I have never had any of the problems that I have read about other than a little too much expansion. Only had one deer in 15 years take a step after receiving a ballistic tip. I already have a good load worked up for my 300 WSM, and don't really want to change. However, I think it is fun trying new stuff.

RObert

Last edited:

NotaVegetarian

I load 165gr SST’s, and BT’s in .300 mags, 150gr SST’s in 30.06, and .308. I like them, give them a try.

Guy

I can't stand them. :banginghe They are great for accuracy, but I will not be using anymore ballistic tip type bullets. Don't care how proven they are.

I am going back to the bullet by which all other bullets are measured.
The mighty Nosler Partition ;)

For me, it is most likely a confidence issue. But I shot a few does last year and did not like the performance.

dbodkin

I agree with "Guy" I've loaded for my 7.82 Patriot. Very accurate but I havent hit a deer with one yet....

Meriwether Mike

I dropped a buck in his tracks last year with my 7mm-08 loaded with 140 grain ballistic tips. Bullet placement is critical for satisfactory performance. I have attached a picture of the bullet which I removed from the deer to check how it performed.

Attachments

• Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 384
Reactions: Dub

Buzz

Southern Steel said:
I dropped a buck in his tracks last year with my 7mm-08 loaded with 140 grain ballistic tips. Bullet placement is critical for satisfactory performance. I have attached a picture of the bullet which I removed from the deer to check how it performed.

Looks like a classic case of core\jacket separation to me. You'd be wise to stick with perfect broadside lung shots with that load or you might be wondering why one dropped in his tracks and you couldn't find the next one.

bevills1

The SST should perform well if they are as good as other Hornady bullets as I've had no problems with any Hornady bullet performance. The Nosler ballistic tips are a whole other story. I've used the Nosler's in 7MM Rem Mag which do fine when loaded to middle load or higher velocities with 4831 or H870 powder, but they fail to expand reliably at lower velocities such as the starting load. However, loaded to even starting load velocities in the 7MM STW they expand violently creating too much meat damage. The best expanding tip bullet I've ever used is the old Remington Bronze point, but it's available in 270 and 30 caliber only.

Muygrande

dbodkin said:
I agree with "Guy" I've loaded for my 7.82 Patriot. Very accurate but I havent hit a deer with one yet....

DB, you hadn't hit one yet??? Who's fault is that?? :banginghe

Listen the SST and BT perform about the same but at slightly higher velocities the SST has shot better and performed better for me. I've hammered truck loads of deer with both and I love them.