Hornet's Nest

kmaxwell3

Found this hornet's nest in the backyard in a small cedar tree. Had to take it down because my kids play back there. I had just cut around the tree with mower few days ago and never saw it. It was only about 4ft off ground. Always heard that meant a cold winter coming.

Attachments

• 20190727_174532.jpg
    20190727_174532.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 218

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Three or four years ago here, we had two nights at ten below zero. Coldest winter since the 80s. Every winter is cold here, at least by southern standards. And lasts from November to April. Last winter was the mildest one we've had in a long time, but we still had loads of teens and single digit lows. Only a couple feet of snow, though.

Buckman18

Last night, after trout fishing, I saw a giant hornet nest in NE Rabun County that was only 1-2 ft off the ground. I thought about the old saying about a cold winter. Unfortunately, we are about due for one. The katydids started hollering about June 24 at my house, which would put the first frost in late September.

The last time I can remember below 0 temps here was January 2014. It got down to -2 here. I think Brasstown Bald was -6 or -8 then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There was one time, 1979 or 80, it got down to one degree here.
It's an unusual winter when we don't get a few nights down to zero or near it. And a lot of stretches of several days when the temp never gets up to freezing. Didn't used to bother me, but since I've got older, I feel it and don't like it much. The coldest I've seen it here was 1985, 28 below zero. It went two weeks or more without ever getting up to freezing. Our concrete 500-gallon water reservoir froze solid. Pipes two feet underground froze. Pipes inside people's houses all froze. Nobody's vehicles would start.

We usually get our first frost in late September-early October, and our last frost in mid-May. It was 53 here yesterday morning.

Gator89

It's an unusual winter when we don't get a few nights down to zero or near it. And a lot of stretches of several days when the temp never gets up to freezing. Didn't used to bother me, but since I've got older, I feel it and don't like it much. The coldest I've seen it here was 1985, 28 below zero. It went two weeks or more without ever getting up to freezing. Our concrete 500-gallon water reservoir froze solid. Pipes two feet underground froze. Pipes inside people's houses all froze. Nobody's vehicles would start.

We usually get our first frost in late September-early October, and our last frost in mid-May. It was 53 here yesterday morning.

That 1985 winter it got down to 12 degrees in Bushnell, FL on my father in law's farm measured with a USDA weather station thermometer. The next day it was 14.

In 1982 the citrus in central FL froze and they replanted trees. After the 1985 freeze, they started planting Yankees!

Mark K

Banned
There was one time, 1979 or 80, it got down to one degree here.
I think I remember that because I believe school was even cancelled for a day or two. And either 2010 or 2011 I remember duck hunting down near Mexico Beach and the little salt water bay we were hunting was froze! My buddy drove down from Macon with snow on his truck and it didn’t melt the entire trip. Sure do miss those winters.

kmaxwell3

Well I ended up shooting the limb off the tree with my .22 rifle. I left it on ground for few days thinking they would move out and then I could get the nest and put it up in my shop. Well something got to it on the ground and destroyed it.

Tom W.

Waaaay back when I was younger and dumber My first wife and I bought a new house in Eufaula.. There were pieces of brick all over the yard, which bordered a cow pasture. I looked and saw a really big hornet nest just across the fence. I studied it and saw that the entrance hole was on the side to the north.
I'd collect some brickbats and ease up to the fence, throw a piece of brick at the nest, and stand as still as a statue.
The hornets would come out and fly around the place where the brickbat hit, but as I never moved they never came at me.After about three weeks of this we had a pretty severe storm and it finished destroying the nest. Never did get stung....

Mark K

Banned
I live in a small town and had several friends that were LEO’s. Well, a hornets nest appeared almost overnight about 6ft over the deck in a Bradford Pear. My son and I had a bright idea to shoot it down so we enlisted the help of our friends. I knew they carried sawed off 870’s and asked to borrow them for some “neighborhood protection”. They agreed, just because they thought we were crazy as heck and wanted a good video if things went South, lol.
We waited until dark, let a couple patrol cars block the street while my two buddies sat in their cars with their spotlights on the nest, and my son and I loaded up with #8 shot and snuck in to about 10-12 feet. On the count of 3 we unloaded 10 shots on the nest and took off running like crazy! We decided to run the opposite direction of our house incase they were following us and had a patrol car waiting to pick us up.
The nest was totally destroyed and no one got stung...and my buddies got some great video even though it worked like planned!