How do YOU define sin?

BANDERSNATCH

I know many of you come from hyper-grace denominations, believing that Jesus' atoning work has made it to where God doesn't care if we sin or not anymore, but for those out there that do believe that, although there is grace for failures, God does still care about sin, I have a question....

How do YOU personally define sin? Is the definition of sin something that is now subjective? Is everything okay now as long as our heart is good with it? For example, if Christ did away with the Law, then homosexuality should no longer be frowned upon in the church. God would no longer really care if spouses cheated on each other. Is scripture still usable for "reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"? Should the church still discipline men who are caught in sins like the example Paul gives us in I Cor 5? When you read where Jesus tells us to "go, and sin no more", did he mean only for another year until I am crucified and then you can sin all you want?

welderguy

I know many of you come from hyper-grace denominations, believing that Jesus' atoning work has made it to where God doesn't care if we sin or not anymore, but for those out there that do believe that, although there is grace for failures, God does still care about sin, I have a question....

How do YOU personally define sin? Is the definition of sin something that is now subjective? Is everything okay now as long as our heart is good with it? For example, if Christ did away with the Law, then homosexuality should no longer be frowned upon in the church. God would no longer really care if spouses cheated on each other. Is scripture still usable for "reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"? Should the church still discipline men who are caught in sins like the example Paul gives us in I Cor 5? When you read where Jesus tells us to "go, and sin no more", did he mean only for another year until I am crucified and then you can sin all you want?

Should we sin that grace may abound?
God forbid!

LittleDrummerBoy

Lots of questions there. As I work out my salvation with fear and trembling, I view sin as disobedience to God's commands.

It has often been the case that other people attempt to change my behavior by suggesting something or the other is sinful. It has been useful to ask them to provide a Scriptural command to support their assertion that I need to change. Their case is more compelling if they can provide specific Scriptures than if they cannot.

Likewise, it has been my experience that when the Holy Spirit brings conviction of sin, he usually brings to mind a specific Scripture.

Some Christians like to define sin as "missing the mark" and that is an accurate definition of the word. But we must remember that God defines "the mark" with Scripture, and we would do well not to become slaves of men by allowing them to define "the mark" in ways not contained in Scripture.

BANDERSNATCH

Absolutely right, Drummer. As we might expect, sin IS defined in the bible, front and back. God defined sin for us, and John confirms this in one of his epistles.

I John 3:4 whoever commits sin transgresses the Law, FOR SIN IS TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

There....sin has been defined. Something that was a sin in the OT, is still a sin to us. God does not change.

Artfuldodger

My question would be "how much repentance from sin will ever be enough? What can me, as a fleshy man, ever do? I see some sins as being harder to overcome. Some physical like homosexuality, drunkardness, and gluttonous, are sometimes never overcome. It seems like many don't even try to overcome some sins.

Yet the mental ones like anger and lust seem to be more common. I seem to struggle with lust but in the eyes of others this isn't as bad as homosexuality. I think that each person is born with sins that is a part of who he is.

Some people are prone to drunkardness and some to anger or lust.
Most time we just go on sinning on purpose so to say. No one is humble yet the boastful don't even try to be more humble.

I guess I just see us as all being the same. That none of us are righteous.

Artfuldodger

Hyper-grace denominations, lol. I can't say I've ever heard that. They ain't none on the Political forum like that. They believe your works define you as a Christian.
I see it as one of those Catch-22 things. An enigma of Christianity.

BANDERSNATCH

Yet the mental ones like anger and lust seem to be more common. I seem to struggle with lust but in the eyes of others this isn't as bad as homosexuality. I think that each person is born with sins that is a part of who he is.

I'm sure most men struggle with that. I'd for sure put it high on my list. Drawing a blank here, but does it say anywhere that our thoughts can be sin, or does it take actually acting them out to be sin? Like anger....we can be angry, but don't let it lead to sin.

Artfuldodger

I'm sure most men struggle with that. I'd for sure put it high on my list. Drawing a blank here, but does it say anywhere that our thoughts can be sin, or does it take actually acting them out to be sin? Like anger....we can be angry, but don't let it lead to sin.

I would say that many things of the heart/mind are just as fleshy as using body parts;

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 John 3:15
Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

There are many sins of the heart that defile the man. Envy, jealously, coveting, impurity, and idolatry comes to mind.

Artfuldodger

Sins of the heart are just harder for other men to judge us. Yet God can see what's in our hearts as well as our physical sins. I don't think it makes them any less sinful. It just makes you appear less sinful to a fellow man.

Spineyman

Because we are born in sin with a sin nature. That means we have to work at not sinning. That is where the in dwelling of the Holy Spirit comes in. As mere men we will never reach perfect status while in this flesh on this earth.

hobbs27

Sin is disobedience to God.

Spineyman

2 Corinthians 10:3-6
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not [a]carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Romans 1:21
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, (thoughts )and their foolish heart was darkened.

j_seph

As LittleDrummerBoy said it is a personal relationship. What I see as sin you may not see as sin. It is that personal relationship we have with God. Now the commandments we have been given, such as adultery, etc..... I feel that goes for everyone. Now do I drink alcohol I do not anymore, is it a sin for me or you or all of us? i cannot say it is, all I can answer for is myself on that. I have a conviction not to do so, so to me it is. If Drummerboy does not have conviction of him doing that (not saying you do, do that) and he is a child of the king then for him that is not a sin in his life. For me to say he is sinning would be judging.
As for God overlooks our sins I do not believe, are we forgiven or can we be? Yes but we have to repent, I also believe that we will pay for our sins on this side that we commit after being saved.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Very simple. Sin is ANYTHING that undermines your ability to keep God’s will as the central focus of your life and therefore damages your relationship with him. The list is endless which is why attempting to live by the Law or any set of perceived commands is pointless. We walk out of love of him and his grace and mercy bridges the gap between our missteps and his requirements for our holiness.

StriperAddict

Ans: By the life of Christ within.

I get it, grace is scary, threatening, if we judge it for what it isn't instead of grace being revealed to us for what it really is.

We have no problems with being saved by grace,
But it is an entirely different thing to declare that we also live day by day from grace. More specifically, from the inside out, from the new heart and new human spirit God freely gave us... From that once for all offering of the body of Christ, forever.
How this grace is light on sin is an impossibility, it is the gospel of grace that teaches us to deny sin. This is something that the Old Testament/Law of Moses has no power to do.

And frankly, we all need power to live righteously, justly. But by the works of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, so we needed a new plan, a New Covenant, an agreement between God and God, because in our human religious strength we have no chance to attain to the righteous perfection of the Law.
The law makes nothing perfect ...
But the bringing in of a different hope DOES.

Scary? You bet. Different? Absolutely. Other (holy)? Beyond the imagination.

But if our daily righteousness comes by, or is defined by rules on the page, the ministry of condemnation, and not by the Greater within us, then we walk without power, and fuel the very sin we attempt to avoid.

To sum up, let's ask ourselves this:
Would the life of Christ within us LEAD us ...
To commit murder, steal, etc?

Or, if our eyes are on Christ, the cross and resurrection, won't the fruit of that dependence bring ...
Love, joy, peace, etc, .... against such there is no Law?

The same way we have received Christ (by grace thru faith) is the same way we are free to live, move and have our being ... by grace thru faith.

I/we cannot nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness is by the (observance) of the law, then Christ is dead in vain. (emphasis mine)

Grace is not your enemy, nor that what is weak on sin. It's our very life. In short, it is Christ Himself, living in and thru us as we desperately trust and depend on Him.

Artfuldodger

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

I'd define it sort of like this...

Preaching on gun forums just about everyday pretending you speak for God. Isn't that kind of like blasphemy? Did God say somewhere to go to the internet to preach or to hear His word?

Latest posts