How is teaching evolution NOT state sponsored athiesism?

Artfuldodger

Virtually all atheism I’ve encountered is not so much a profound secure disbelief in God but a sound disbelief in someone else’s ideas about God. I don’t blame atheist. I don’t believe in many people’s ideas about God. Atheists or agnostics who are not dead set on simply being against someone else’s beliefs are very often better “Christians” than people who claim to believe.

That sounds close to an Agnostic belief. They believe or at least don't deny the existence of a supreme being or power. They just don't believe in the God of organized religions such as Christianity, Hinduism, etc.

WaltL1

I figure if God can speak something into existence, he can probably evolute it into existence, too. :)
I'm kind of with you on this one.
Since creation (in the Christian sense of the word) and evolution are not the same thing, what is so offensive to the idea that both can be "true" at the same time?
Although it would have to be selective evolution since people were supposedly dropped in as.... well..... people.

oldfella1962

I'm kind of with you on this one.
Since creation (in the Christian sense of the word) and evolution are not the same thing, what is so offensive to the idea that both can be "true" at the same time?
Although it would have to be selective evolution since people were supposedly dropped in as.... well..... people.

except for those pesky Neanderthals who either stowed away on Noah's ark or somehow escaped that great flood. We have 4 percent of their DNA somehow! :huh:

Two choices here (that I can imagine) for the creationists to rationalize the Neanderthal DNA:
1) Neanderthals "adapted" ;) after the flood. Just as blond hair, hooded eye lids, etc. are relatively recent genetic adaptations to a changing environment, maybe adaptation briefly went off the rails to rapidly change into a whole new species, crossbred with humans, then quickly died out.
2) Scientists have it all wrong - Neanderthals are the same species as modern humans and their DNA (while different) is just genetic variation, not an entirely different species.

WaltL1

except for those pesky Neanderthals who either stowed away on Noah's ark or somehow escaped that great flood. We have 4 percent of their DNA somehow! :huh:

Two choices here (that I can imagine) for the creationists to rationalize the Neanderthal DNA:
1) Neanderthals "adapted" ;) after the flood. Just as blond hair, hooded eye lids, etc. are relatively recent genetic adaptations to a changing environment, maybe adaptation briefly went off the rails to rapidly change into a whole new species, crossbred with humans, then quickly died out.
2) Scientists have it all wrong - Neanderthals are the same species as modern humans and their DNA (while different) is just genetic variation, not an entirely different species.
Oh come on, theres no problems there.
All that is exactly how God made it happen.
See how easy that was :D

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Just a point -

Atheism in itself, is not a religion. To your point "to become that" is a person taking the "original thing" and changing it into something else/something its not.
So isn't more accurate to say -
Yes some Atheists can take Atheism to the point of being "religious".
But no Atheism in itself is not a religion.
It, in itself, is simply -
a·the·ism
[ˈ�THēˌizəm]
NOUN
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

religion -
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
a particular system of faith and worship.

plural noun: religions
"the world's great religions"
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion"

Atheism is a religion. Just because you don't name a god you serve doesn't mean you aren't setting up something as supreme to follow. For some it is liberty, for some secularism, other find other things to worship. Your god is whatever you place the most significance on in your life. Your check book register will give you a good idea what you value.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
religion -
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Atheism is a religion. Just because you don't name a god you serve doesn't mean you aren't setting up something as supreme to follow. For some it is liberty, for some secularism, other find other things to worship. Your god is whatever you place the most significance on in your life. Your check book register will give you a good idea what you value.

God(s)/Checkbook register

WaltL1

religion -

There is a reason you are having to get down into the synonyms and fine print to try to back up your claim.
Using your provided definition and not a synonym but right there at the top -
religion -

I didn't check but I'm pretty sure checkbooks, liberty etc wouldnt fall under the category "superhuman".
especially a personal God or gods.
God with a big G denotes... well you know.. the big guy.
gods with a little g denotes... well you know... those other littler guys.

This is why I ask why you guys want it to be true so bad.
Look how far you are willing to try to sttttrrrreeeettttch definitions just to demand that Atheism is a religion.
Its kookie to me. I don't get it.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
An atheist used the following quote in his "prayer" at a city council meeting in Waterloo Iowa.

"This world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion" - Thomas Paine.

Although I don't see atheism as a religion, they will sure tread that line to be included on what society sees as a religious practice. In this case, giving a "prayer" in public meetings.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Sounds like a statement. Who was he praying to?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
The sure fire indicator that you are wrong is that you are typing your thoughts instead of definitions.

"Evolution by definition assumes atheistic presuppositions and assumptions? "

Is your god incapable of getting an evolutionary system started?

Public schools teach according to the preponderance of evidence.

PLEASE show us the Atheistic presuppositions and assumptions in this:

On the other hand, it is highly like you to point fingers while presupposing and assuming an invisible sky fairy did it.

A bit bitter today are we?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Sounds like a statement. Who was he praying to?

It was the “inclusion” part of what is considered a Christian activity that I was referring to.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It was the “inclusion” part of what is considered a Christian activity that I was referring to.

Inclusion of what?

He was stating his code, his mantra.

What specifically is a specific Christian activity? A prayer? I had no idea only Christians prayed.

WaltL1

they will sure tread that line to be included on what society sees as a religious practice. In this case, giving a "prayer" in public meetings.
You have answered your own question but you just don't know it.
what is considered a Christian activity
sees as a religious practice.
and where was it taking place? -
at a city council meeting
If the city council represents ALL of the city, why is it ok to devote "special time" to just one element - the Christians.?
Its not ok, and by having something to say, the Atheist is not letting them get away with it.
Of course you don't see a problem with special time being devoted to only one segment because you belong to that one segment.

j_seph

Which bible are you reading? Are you reading it from back to front

Do you believe that plants were actually created before the sun was like Genesis says? How did they live?
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
<sup class="versenum">2 </sup>And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
<sup class="versenum">3 </sup>And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
<sup class="versenum">4 </sup>And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
<sup class="versenum">5 </sup>And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
<sup class="versenum">6 </sup>And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
<sup class="versenum">7 </sup>And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
<sup class="versenum">8 </sup>And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
<sup class="versenum">9 </sup>And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
<sup class="versenum">11 </sup>And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
<sup class="versenum">2 </sup>And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
<sup class="versenum">3 </sup>And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
<sup class="versenum">4 </sup>And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
<sup class="versenum">5 </sup>And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
<sup class="versenum">6 </sup>And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
<sup class="versenum">7 </sup>And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
<sup class="versenum">8 </sup>And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
<sup class="versenum">9 </sup>And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
<sup class="versenum">11 </sup>And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
Scoot down to verse 14+

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Guess my point is, he gave light before the grass, before the sun and the moon were created.

Sounded more like he made a temporary work light in 3, because the Sun (which grows plants) and the Moon didnt happen until later.

Did we have 2 suns? If not what type of light was it?

j_seph

Sounded more like he made a temporary work light in 3, because the Sun (which grows plants) and the Moon didnt happen until later.

Did we have 2 suns? If not what type of light was it?
I would have to say Gods light. Also, ya ever seen these folks that grow stuff with grow lights and no sun? Don't need sun if you got light.