How Many AR Hunters Out There?

lineman73

How many folks out there use or have used an AR-type rifle for deer hunting?

I have been using an AR off and on since 2012. My first AR was a Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport. I mounted a Smith and Wesson .300 AAC Blackout upper on it. I took a 105 lb doe with that combo in 2012.
300 BLK Upper.jpgDoe Nov 10th 2012.jpg
I shot this doe right after I took the picture. I was not impressed with the performance of the .300 Blackout. I shot the deer square in the chest with a 115 grain bullet and it ran over 200 yards, leaving next to no blood trail. That stinks!! I sold that rifle combination.

I replaced the M&P15 in 2014 with a DPMS Panther Arms Oracle. This one I equipped with a Stag Arms Model 7H upper in 6.8mm Remington SPC. I have installed a MagPul MOE stock, MagPul hand grip, Bushnell Trophy 1.5-4.5 x 32 scope and an Amy Geissele Advanced Combat Trigger on the DPMS lower (3.5 lb pull). I shot a 167 lb doe with it last year, at a laser rangefinder verified 230 yards. The doe went 50 ft and dropped. The Hornady Custom 120 grain SST bullet turned the chest cavity to pure soup and left a huge exit hole and a great blood trail. This beats the heck out of the .300 Blackout performance!! I will use this combo again!!
Stag 6.8 SPC Upper.jpg Doe Taken Dec 7 With 6.8 SPC AR Rifle.jpg

Anybody else have experience deer hunting with the Modern Sporting Rifle? I'm gearing up to try the DPMS rifle with the original 5.56mm upper. It is equipped with a Bushnell Banner Trophy 1.75-5 x 20 scope. I have picked up some of the Winchester 64 grain Razorback ammo for it and will sight it in and use it this year. Hopefully this ammo will perform as well as the 6.8mm SPC. We'll see.

And Bill Clinton said there was no sporting use for an assault rifle!! Bah!! What does he know!! Lets hear it for "evil black rifles"!!!
:yeah::fine::cool::clap::banana:

Last edited:

Bubba Watson

Gone but not forgotten.
AR-type

How many folks out there use or have used an AR-type rifle for deer hunting?

I have been using an AR off and on since 2012. My first AR was a Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport. I mounted a Smith and Wesson .300 AAC Blackout upper on it. I took a 105 lb doe with that combo in 2012.
View attachment 873793View attachment 873796
I shot this doe right after I took the picture. I was not impressed with the performance of the .300 Blackout. I shot the deer square in the chest with a 115 grain bullet and it ran over 200 yards. That stinks!! I sold that rifle combination
I replaced the M&P15 in 2014 with a DPMS Panther Arms Oracle. This one I equipped with a Stag Arms Model 7H upper in 6.8mm Remington SPC. I shot a 167 lb doe with it last year, at a laser rangefinder verified 230 yards. The doe went 50 ft and dropped. The Hornady Custom 120 grain SST bullet turned the chest cavity to pure soup and left a huge exit hole and a great blood trail. This beats the heck out of the .300 Blackout performance!! I will use this combo again!!
View attachment 873794 View attachment 873795

Anybody else have experience deer hunting with the Modern Sporting Rifle? I'm gearing up to try the DPMS rifle with the 5.56mm upper. I have picked up some of the Winchester 64 grain Razorback ammo for it and will sight it in and use it this year. Hopefully this ammo will perform as well as the 6.8mm SPC. We'll see.

And Bill Clinton said there was no sporting use for an assault rifle!! Bah!! What does he know!! Lets hear it for "evil black rifles"!!!
:yeah::fine::cool::clap::banana:
I shoot a Windham Arms in .223 for deer and hogs. I like 55gr hunting ammo best, did try 64gr fusions this year. I was training a tracking dog puppy this pass season, the bonded ammo gave us tracking jobs to work on.
Love my AR, was thinking of buying a 300 blackout upper, think I may need to research that a little more.

FlipKing

DPMS G2 Hunter in .308, I don't personally trust the smaller calibers for deer, but that's just a personal thing. They've been shown capable. It's got a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14x40 on it. I love hunting with it. Isn't that heavy, shoots great.

Attachments

• buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,893
  • IMG_20160403_195912.jpg
    IMG_20160403_195912.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,795

pacecars

I killed my largest deer with an AR-15 in .223 with a 53gr Barnes and have killed several pigs with an AR in 6.8mm SPC. This year I will be using one in 6.5 Grendel and .223 on deer and pigs

Last edited:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Not an AR-15, but I took a buck two years ago with my .308 PTR91 (HK91 clone). Great shooting rifle but with the optic and a full mag it's heavy as the hand of death. For deer, I obviously don't hunt with a full mag but it's still not something I'd prefer to lug around all day.

Rich M

My dad just got a 223 AR. Nice light, easy to shoot gun. I remember reading about some night hog hunter on here shooting a cow and killing it with a 223.

I think the 300 blackout is a decent little gun and maybe we-all expected too much out of it based on the outdoor writers. I had thought about getting one until I looked at the ballistics and energy charts. My homeload 357 mag rifle loads exceed the speed and energy of the 300 blackout inside 100-150 yards.

The 300 blackout has a 115 gr bullet with a velocity of about 2,000 fps. To put it another way - the 300 blackout is roughly equivalent to a 30 carbine which is a little less than the 357 mag. You wouldn't expect a lot of knock-down from the 30 carbine but it is a great gun.

Still nice to shoot fast and accurately.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Killed a few with my ar.

Steve08

Killed a few with my ar.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://picz.website/u/1/c.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
Same here, it's good fun.

RLykens

Killed several hogs, big bodied deer, and little deer with my DDM4A1 in 5.56. I love it but you must execute a proper shot.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the first one I killed with my Colt LE 6920 M4 in 5.56. Then I added a Geisele SSA-E trigger and a WOA 18" Varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and a Bushnell Tactical AR/223 scope with 4.5-18x40mm zoom with a Custom Turret Label.

gt40

PS: You don't waist much meat with a neck shot and they are DRT.

Attachments

• custom turret .JPG
    custom turret .JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,640
  • WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS  2.JPG
    WARNE ULTRA LIGHT QD RINGS 2.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 1,729
  • shot with 65 gr. game king .JPG
    shot with 65 gr. game king .JPG
    485.2 KB · Views: 1,677
  • 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,662

trhankinson

Started hunting with my 6.8 this year. Killed a hog and deer with it

Attachments

• 6.8.jpg
    6.8.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,612
  • hog1.jpg
    hog1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,596
  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,608

mmcneil

Plan on hunting with it next season. 6.8spc. Took about a year to acquire (afford) parts and build. These things get expensive. Have been loading and testing Hornady sst.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,633

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Built a 7.62x39 for woods hunting, killed a couple with it last year. Great little rifle.

pacecars

I will also be using a suppressed .300 Blackout in a Sig pistol AR!

660griz

Myself and my wife used an M&P 10 last year. 180 gr Fusions.
I got one and she got 3. My one and 1 of hers was DRT. Other 2 ran a very short distance. Mine, and 2 of hers were shot at about 80 yards. 1 or hers was shot about 20 yards.(That was her DRT.)

Attachments

• mdoe.jpg
    mdoe.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,146
  • rdeer.jpg
    rdeer.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,098

deast1988

I run a colt 6720 and a colt 6920 one likes 55gr tsx other likes 64gr tsx.

Soon as my cans come out of nfa jail I'll have less noise on my modern sporting rifles.