How Many AR Hunters Out There?

roperdoc

We shoot hogs with a 300blk. Bullet choice makes a huge difference. The Barnes vortex ammo and reloads with Barnes bullets are awesome. Most other bullets we tried failed to penetrate well, especially on larger boars. Subsonics penetrate, but pencil through without expanding well. Barnes are typically full penetration with great expansion. We have shot over 100 hogs with this round.
7.62 x39 has worked well for us also. 556 works, but I feel bullet selection and shot placement are more critical.
No experience with a 6.8 yet, planning a 6.5grendel build soon. Or maybe a 6.5 or 25 DTI. Or both. These things get to be a habit.

Elkbane

I don't use mine for hunting. No offense to anyone, but I just don't find it to be the handiest platform for a hunting rifle.

Not when I have so many better options.

Elkbane

deers2ward

DPMS G2 Hunter in .308, I don't personally trust the smaller calibers for deer, but that's just a personal thing. They've been shown capable. It's got a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14x40 on it. I love hunting with it. Isn't that heavy, shoots great.

Nice buck right there

Mars

I hope to get one or two this year with my new 300 blackout
20160713_164308_zpsbccdslak.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mwoods211

Radical Firearms 6.8 SPC

Just ordered a Radical Firearms 6.8 II from Primary Arms along with a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9X40 scope for it. Added a Rise Armament Black Fallout RA-140 Super Sporting Trigger 3.5# to drop in it with KNS pins.
Looking forward to taking some game with it.
FR16-6.8SPC-HBAR-15FHR_0_zpsi96qopiw.jpg

VXR_3-9x40_web_zpsaouavvqs.png

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
built ours in .223. so no. maybe swap it into .308 and take it one day.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Just put a Leupold VX-R 3x9x40 on top of my Rock River AR. I'm focusing on coyotes right now but I may give it a whirl come deer season.

Attachments

• AR-15 Mod.jpg
    AR-15 Mod.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 533

beginnersluck

DPMS G2 Hunter in .308, I don't personally trust the smaller calibers for deer, but that's just a personal thing. They've been shown capable. It's got a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5x14x40 on it. I love hunting with it. Isn't that heavy, shoots great.

I almost bought this gun a couple of years ago but backed out on the DPMS. I felt I probably made a mistake, as I've read that it's been such a good gun to a lot of people. Plus it's kind of sexy :D