How many can you Remember??

fussyray

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time?

And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . . and they did?

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise,
peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a "
and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing

compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy,

Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery,

the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,

Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool,

and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

How many of these do you remember?

Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

Newsreels before the movie

P.F. Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601). Party lines

Peashooters

Howdy Dowdy

Hi-Fi's

45 RPM records

78 RPM records!

Green Stamps

Metal ice cubes trays with levers

Mimeograph paper

Beanie and Cecil

Roller-skate keys

Cork pop guns

Drive ins

Studebakers

Washtub wringers

The Fuller Brush Man

Reel-To-Reel tape recorders

Tinkertoys

Erector Sets

The Fort Apache Play Set

Lincoln Logs

15 cent McDonald hamburgers

5 cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum

Penny candy

25 cent a gallon gasoline

Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!! And you are OLD TOO!!!!!

Redbow

I remember 99 percent of those, what a great list ! Sure brings back memories for me,,and yep,,I am old !

Burl E.

The Fort Apache Play Set

I remember 98% of it, but that one was in a dusty corner way back deep in my minds storage, almost lost forever.

Thanks, for the post. Things sure have changed.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I remember all of them, and you could add the test pattern that was broadcast on the TV for 30 minutes before the programming started and the sign off at night with the National Anthem and the Flag flying.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Dial-up! :rofl::rofl:

Yep, the "Good Ol' Days" of molasses net:bounce:

satchmo

Man this thread makes me feel kind of old.
For whatever reason this seems like it belongs in your post. When we had fight at school, that is all it was. You would be sitting together at lunch table the next day. We all had pocket knives,but would never think of pulling it out during a fight.It would have been like a sin in the schoolground .
Oh, what about the smoking area at school.
Things are way different now.
Good post.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Yep good days.

And the thing about it our kids in 30 or 40 years will be thinking about how these are the good old days to them.

How messed up will the world be then???

Good memories.....

DAWGsfan2

i remember most of these.....and yes i maybe getting old!.but i had the oppurtunity to live threw all the thing's mentioned above.and that to me was livin.wish i could take my kids back in time with me for just one day!.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
im so old i set up stores to give green stamps! We didnt know what we had when you had to put a niclkel and a penny in the coke machine and try to turn that metal lever. peanuts in it for 5 cents. the smell of sears paper shotgun shells, and ted williams shooting vest, we wont be back their any time soon.:bounce::cry::whip::yawn:

DRB1313

Yep! Remember just about all of them. Two of my favorites were the metal Ice Trays with the levers. Boy did I hate having to fill them back up.:banginghe
The other was the playing cards in the spokes.:cool:
Yeah! We were cool!!
Great post Ray!

Pop

I remember all of them and here are a few more.

Cisco and Poncho
Bazooka bubble gum with the funnies wrapped in it 2for penny
19 cents a gallon gas.
Blue Horse note books and saving the points
Tooty Fruity
Going to the creek and taking a bar of soap for a bath
Milking the cow and then helping churn the milk then the good taste of that home made buttermilk with hot corn bread and an onion
Apricot battles were great fun and always started a fight, then mom or dad or grandma won the fight with a keen hickory applied to our rear ends.
Firecrackers were legal and almost all the kids had a pocket full around Christmas, New Year, and the 4th of july, and we didn't have adult supervision to shoot them and no one lost a finger or hand.
Kick the Can
Spin the Bottle
Hide and Seek
Red Rover
Fox and hounds
Tree Top Tag
Broom stick swords and you knew how to use them and then if they were long enough you could use them for a horse when you played Cowboys and Indians
BB gun battles when we got older and no one shot at your head so no one lost an eye
It was not unbelieveable to have 4 or 5 young guys get together and go hunting even though you were only 12 year old and no adult went and we only shot at game that we could eat and we knew we better not come home empty handed

I could keep going but man I am getting home sick for the old days, when mama called us all for supper and you knew you better be within shouting distance when supper time came.

Shook

most

about 95% i grew up in the country we jut got McDonalds about 10 years ago,i worked at a grocery store the owner ran the cash register the coke machine had 6.5 ounce bottle drinks in it we would get the little cokes and pour peanuts in them :bounce:

LOVEMYLABXS

Yep remember a lot of those and yes I'm older and a lot wiser now adays and before my daddy died it turned out he was a lot smarter then i ever thought as a kid.

Helped a couple of neighbors with the milkin of 80+ cows for a buck a milkin and thought I was makin good money as a 10/11 year old kid. Road in the back of truck with the dogs many a time and never fell out.

Thanks for the memories :cool:

BBQBOSS

Banned
OR when you dialed a number to get the time!

I remember most of everything here, but aint quite old yet :p

I can still remember Griffin's time, weather and temperature number. I used to wear that thing out as a kid when snow was predicted to see if the temp was dropping...

fussyray