How Many Here?

Beagler

I’ve got the 12 gauge stevens my dad bought used in the early 50’s, if uou can see a squirrel that gun will reach out and get it.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Yes. Got a 20 gauge single shot I got for Christmas a young’un ~25 years back. Also have a couple 12 gauge hand downs that’ll stay in the family forever

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I also have this 1907 Stevens "Nitro Special" 12 ga. that was my Great Granddad's. Supposed to be "black powder only".

17a  12 gauge Stevens single shot BP ONLY.JPG

LTZ25

We bought those single shot 12 gauge at Kmart for around $40.00 . The cool one to have had a 22lr on top , maybe a 22 mag .

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We bought those single shot 12 gauge at Kmart for around $40.00 . The cool one to have had a 22lr on top , maybe a 22 mag .
I had a .410 with a .22 on top, loved that gun. Loaned it to a friend to take care of some wild dogs running around his parents place... never saw him or the gun again.

Redbow

Old folks wouldn't let you hunt with a .22 around the house. "Them thangs will carry for a mile" they used to say, might hit somebody over on the next hill. When we got some deer around them parts you had to use a shotgun and a pumpkin ball, same reason.

Sounds just like my Grandma she was scared to death of a .22 rifle. She would let me hunt with the one my Uncle gave me when I was 9 years old but I had to hunt by myself. And Grandma always reminded me, boy you watch where you shoot that thing the bullet will go for a mile, you be careful now.

Redbow

Ever hear of a Bluegrass shotgun?
I just looked the Bluegrass shotguns up on the internet Nic. I can't remember anyone that I knew ever owning one. They were made by Essex Arms of Louisville KY so the article says.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I had a .410 with a .22 on top, loved that gun. Loaned it to a friend to take care of some wild dogs running around his parents place... never saw him or the gun again.
After a period of time,it might have been a mistake for him to show back up empty handed!

DSGB

My first gun (besides a pellet gun) was a NEF single shot 410 that my Papa bought for me when I was 8. After moving up to a 30-30 and 20 ga when I was 12, my cousin started using it and my uncle cut down the stock and barrel. My daughter started using it when she was 10 and now my son uses it.

LTZ25

Sounds just like my Grandma she was scared to death of a .22 rifle. She would let me hunt with the one my Uncle gave me when I was 9 years old but I had to hunt by myself. And Grandma always reminded me, boy you watch where you shoot that thing the bullet will go for a mile, you be careful now.
Thats what it said on the .22 box of shells .

Redbow

Thats what it said on the .22 box of shells .

Yep, and Grandma believed it, even with a .22 short. She would not let me hunt with anything else, a long or long rifle was a no no with her.

Big7

The Oracle
I still have my first shotgun.
Old school H&R .410 with the long barrel, fixed full choke and Walnut stock. Had the sear replaced years ago. Smith at Franklin's said it would cost more to fix than it was worth.

Me: I asked if you could fix it, not what it cost.facepalm:
When I picked it up, he replaced the entire trigger assembly- plastic trigger guard and all. facepalm:facepalm:
It will stay with me until my end day.

I bought a new H&R NEF 3 1/2" 12 with a fixed full choke for a dedicated turkey gun but I have kill a doe and several hogs with it. It has the painted stock, prolly fir or pine so I taped it off with Allen tape.

Use the Allen brand tape. It's quiet and doesn't have any shine or smell. Also provides a very good gripping surface.

Wifeshusband

My first shotgun was a 16 ga. Mossberg or Stevens (can't remember) BOLT ACTION. Ever seen or heard of a bolt action shotgun? Essentially it was a one shot gun, because by the time you racked another shell, whatever you were shooting at was dead or gone--usually gone. I loaned it to a guy in Florida while I was in the service. He kept it in his trunk for a month. When I got it back it was completely rusted up--inside and out. It was on the coast and that salt air ruined it. I told him, "you just won yourself a shotgun." Glad to have parted with it.

Redbow

I think I have seen a bolt action .410 long years ago.

I read on the internet the Mossberg 695 bolt action shotgun was made up until 2003 when it was discontinued. They made a .410 bolt action as well. They were sold by Sears, Western Auto and other chains back in the day.

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
No, I don't recall ever seeing a bolt action shotgun, seems I have heard of them though.
Bolt action shotguns are fairly common. As stated above maybe not as useful as hoped.

Redbow

Bolt action shotguns are fairly common. As stated above maybe not as useful as hoped.

Yeah I went back and changed my post after thinking about the bolt action shotguns for a bit. I am quite sure now the only one's I ever saw were .410 gage. No one I personally knew and hunted with ever had one as I know of.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

I had a .410 bolt action built under the Revelation brand for Western Auto.

My Winchester 92 12 gauge went to my son a while back.