How to pattern my target buck?

Satillakilla

Throughout the summer, I have watched my main target buck on the northeastern boundary of our lease. Every morning within 30 minutes of daylight and every afternoon within thirty minutes of sundown I have him on camera with one other mature buck at our feeders. Very rarely do I get him on camera at night and I don’t have him on any other cameras anywhere on our property. Last year, once the season rolled around, I never saw the deer on camera in or near this area again. Instead the deer moved approximately a mile away near the south western edge of our property. Was this due to a change in his summer vs. fall home ranges? Hot does in the area pulling him away? My area is mostly thick pine plantations with few topographic changes to offer natural funnels. Does the group feel as if this mature buck will follow his previous home range patterns? Any helpful tips that have helped you pattern a mature 5 plus year old whitetail?

Kevantylerr

He will most likely keep to his patterns unless something traumatic happens he changes his route
it’s a summer vs fall vs winter pattern most deer have two or three home ranges some don’t, I have a hunting property that’s completely trash until December n January then every buck I’ve had on camera or seen in person within 4 mile radios floods that property at the same time

slow motion

I'm definitely not the great hunter of all time. This is all based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.
Once the bachelor groups break up the bucks disperse to their own area so to speak. They'll overlap with other bucks but loosely. The area where a mature buck roams will be the same year after year. Meaning the dominant buck in an area will take the prime location. For whatever reason it seems they hone in on particular areas. Shoot the big boy and I believe next in the hierarchy will soon occupy the general area. So if he was top dog last year and is also top dog this year I believe he will have the same range. Course during the rut everything goes out the window.Good luck. Post up a pic if you get him.

across the river

That is pretty standard for most deer in my opinion, especially mature deer. When I used to hunt SC a lot and the season started on August 15, you typically had that last two weeks of August to kill whatever buck you had patterned( that was typically bachelor grouped up with others) before he was often gone to never be seen again until next summer, at least during the day. Once the velvet falls off, they typically spread out and head to whatever fall/winter range they want. That doesn't mean some don’t hang in the general area, but the pattern changes and they may start hitting the field at night instead of during the day. If he is mature then, he will likely go back to the same area next month. Ive seen some that would hang around a bean field all summer, and then move a long ways off to a core area but still visit the food source at night. I would scout the area you know he was in during the season add year right now. Try to sort of piece the puzzle together now. Old rub lines vegetation, and topography can tell you a lot about where he bedded and really hung out last year and make it easier this year when the season comes in.

Do what I do. Pick a stand with the best wind and wait for the 4 wheelers from the adjoining club to come in 30 minutes after daylight and hope that they bump the buck to you. lol

If they don't, then you will likely need to wait for the rut and the hot does because he will go into hiding until then. lol

Jim Boyd

IMHO early season: food, cover and right place / right time.

IMHO rut: food, cover and right place / right time.

IMHO late season: food… well, you get the picture.

Want an added secret: seat time.

Good luck with him!

DynamicDennis

Three words.......
corn
Corn
CCCCOOOOOOORRRRRRNNNNNNN!!!!!!

But in all seriousness, good luck.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
In my opinion, this will be a puzzle for the man on the ground to figure out. The more stand time the better...
The very best thing about deer hunting for me…
Good luck!

Gut_Pile

I see year after year, bucks show up in the same areas as previous years almost to the day. And a lot of time, on the same day.

Whenever he moved to the SW last year, I would plan on him being there this year around the same time

buckpasser

I have the luxury of watching deer on a bunch of acres with a bushel of cameras for a living. From what I’ve gathered there is absolutely no guarantee from year to year where a buck will summer and where he will disperse to. I have them summer at one place one year and a half mile or more away the next. Sometimes with the same fellow bachelors, sometimes different. I wish it were more predictable, but it wouldn’t be as fun if it were. Good luck!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
He'll figure you out before you figure him out. You can't outsmart him, so you gotta wait for him to screw up.

The rest is speculation, that he will not cooperate with.

The answer is be still, be quiet, and BE THERE.

Good luck, and don't forget to just enjoy the woods...:)