Hunting Federal Forestry Lands in GA

Barryrod

I was looking to buy some property in GA and was looking at about 15 acres that butts up to about 14k acres of land owned by USDA. Anyone know what the regs are hunting lands such as these. Not labelled on any map as a park or anything

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about national forest land?

Possum

Banned
USDA or USFS? National forest is open all state season unless it’s a WMA on NF. Only other thing different is less doe days and no baiting.

Rabun

USDA or USFS? National forest is open all state season unless it’s a WMA on NF. Only other thing different is less doe days and no baiting.

And in 2017 the deer season ended on 12/26 in the CNF instead of the January 14 state ending. Not sure if that will be the same this year. I believe all other game seasons coincide with the state seasons on the CNF.

There are many other federal lands that have unique season dates....barrier islands, corp of engineer lands, NWR's, military bases/grounds, etc. Never heard of USDA properties though.

Possum

Banned
You are right I forgot the season now ends sooner

Possum

Banned
that’s a good question. Not really sure. I would have rather they delayed the start of season to October VS cut three weeks of the end of season. That would have saved the lives of more does that get shot with a bow anyways and I’d much prefer deer hunting in 30 degrees than 90 degrees.

bilgerat

Senior
all federal forest lands are run by the USDA , the us forest dept is part of the USDA so its just fed forest land, hunt it .