I Don't Know How He Did It !

Redbow

But the man could ! A friend of mine from Augusta Georgia worked at the old Atlantic Coast Line Locomotive repair shop with me in Florence SC for many years !

The Yellow Jacket thread reminded me of my friend, the man could find a Yellow Jacket's nest with no problem ! Mr. Moseley would drive down an old country dirt road real slow until he spotted the small insects flying across the road ! Then he would stop and jump out of his car and watch for more, he could always tell if the Jackets were going to or from the nest because going to the nest they were always loaded or carrying food back and he could spot the loaded insects !

Mr. Moseley would actually follow the little critters until he located the nest. Then he would take an old railroad fusee used for signaling during the switching of boxcars, light the thing and very quickly stuff the fusee down into the entrance hole of the Jackets nest ! He would then back off and let the fusee do its job of putting the critters to sleep !

Then Mr. Moseley would go back to his car, get his shovel and foot tub and dig the nest up ! He actually sold the nest loaded with larve to several folks around our railroad shop for Bream fishing, charging only a couple of dollars for his efforts ! Actually finding the Yellow Jacket's nest was a lot of fun for Mr. Moseley and he often beamed about his ability to find them ! Occasionally someone would come to work and tell Mr. Moseley about a Jacket's nest on their property and he would go that afternoon and get it !

I am not kidding about Mr. Moseley and his ability to locate a Yellow Jacket's nest, it is true ! Mr. Moseley retired in the late 70's and moved back to his beloved Augusta that he so often spoke of ! He is now deceased ! I hope he passed his art of finding a Yellow Jacket's nest on to someone else before he died ! He was an amazing man and he loved Quail hunting also !

Bill Mc

I usually find them by getting stung.:hair:

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
I usually find them by getting stung.:hair:

Yeah, me too! I could teach someone to walk right in amongst big wad of 'em or drive thru a nest of real mean 'uns on a the lawn mower? And maybe even show 'em some new dance moves when the things fly up the legs of my shorts and start stinging on my special parts!

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
i seem to see the little guys every where i go. i have a little 5lb bucket of ficam dust, not manufactured any more. one or two puffs with a duster and i love to see those little buggers fly out of the hive covered in white. tomorrow their all dead.

radams1228

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I had some friends that would go dig them up and use them to fish with in the Ogeechee River.

bilgerat

Senior
My dad had some fun with the kids in the club one year, we had a bad problem with yellow jackets one year and My Dad told all the kids that if we put flour on the bees we could follow them back to the nest and then we could get the larva for bait, well.... a few hours or so later ,4 boys and a half a sack of flour later we were all covered in the stuff and the camp was white, we had no luck finding the nest and were worn out from chasing white bees ,we finally gave up... then the grownups finally broke out laughing their tails off at us.

seems its a good way to keep 4 boys busy and out of your hair for quite a while :banginghe

crackerdave

But the man could ! A friend of mine from Augusta Georgia worked at the old Atlantic Coast Line Locomotive repair shop with me in Florence SC for many years !

The Yellow Jacket thread reminded me of my friend, the man could find a Yellow Jacket's nest with no problem ! Mr. Moseley would drive down an old country dirt road real slow until he spotted the small insects flying across the road ! Then he would stop and jump out of his car and watch for more, he could always tell if the Jackets were going to or from the nest because going to the nest they were always loaded or carrying food back and he could spot the loaded insects !

Mr. Moseley would actually follow the little critters until he located the nest. Then he would take an old railroad fusee used for signaling during the switching of boxcars, light the thing and very quickly stuff the fusee down into the entrance hole of the Jackets nest ! He would then back off and let the fusee do its job of putting the critters to sleep !

Then Mr. Moseley would go back to his car, get his shovel and foot tub and dig the nest up ! He actually sold the nest loaded with larve to several folks around our railroad shop for Bream fishing, charging only a couple of dollars for his efforts ! Actually finding the Yellow Jacket's nest was a lot of fun for Mr. Moseley and he often beamed about his ability to find them ! Occasionally someone would come to work and tell Mr. Moseley about a Jacket's nest on their property and he would go that afternoon and get it !

I am not kidding about Mr. Moseley and his ability to locate a Yellow Jacket's nest, it is true ! Mr. Moseley retired in the late 70's and moved back to his beloved Augusta that he so often spoke of ! He is now deceased ! I hope he passed his art of finding a Yellow Jacket's nest on to someone else before he died ! He was an amazing man and he loved Quail hunting also !

Thanks,Redbow! I enjoyed that. In a way,you have passed his art of finding nests on,by posting this.Sounds like it takes a good pair of eyes!

firstwatch

my dad taught me how to do this, he used the exact same method. and he only had one eye

Redbow

my dad taught me how to do this, he used the exact same method. and he only had one eye

Was your Dad Mr. Moseley,,I suppose not but there has to be an art to finding a Yellow Jacket's nest with the naked eye !

Mr. Moseley retired from railroading in his mid 60's and never wore eyeglasses ! The man had excellent eyesight !

Latest posts