I guess I'll be forced to eat lobster....

oldfella1962

So what is the cause of the decline? Any legit theories being researched?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
'' the causes of the population crash are probably stresses from the warmer water and increased threats from predators. ".....
Over harvest on the Russian side doesn’t help either.

Dr. Strangelove

Everything they said in the article and it's been overfished for years. I'm glad me and the roomie went ahead and did this a couple of weeks ago:

Crab Leg Dinner.jpg

Probably will be a while before we are able to do that again. We do like them so I may keep my eyes open for one more batch if the prices don't blow up with this news.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Everything they said in the article and it's been overfished for years. I'm glad me and the roomie went ahead and did this a couple of weeks ago:

View attachment 1183493

Probably will be a while before we are able to do that again. We do like them so I may keep my eyes open for one more batch if the prices don't blow up with this news.
Prices have blown up for awhile. I haven’t bought crab legs in a couple years. I do like them though

oldfella1962

Gettin old huh? ?

lifelong working memory impairment/short term memory loss - but yes it gets worse the older I get. :( I have to have a map to drive on roads (here on Fort Gordon) fishing or hunting that I have been driving on or hiking for fifteen years. :(

Redbow

Some marine scientists say there will be little or no seafood to harvest by 2050 at the present rate our Oceans are being depleted by over fishing if something doesn't change. Man doesn't live for tomorrow most of the salt water fish we harvest here in NC have been declared overfished for many years. I figure overfishing will continue until there is very little or nothing left to fish for. I am not surprised at all with the Alaska crab industry going flop.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Some marine scientists say there will be little or no seafood to harvest by 2050 at the present rate our Oceans are being depleted by over fishing if something doesn't change. Man doesn't live for tomorrow most of the salt water fish we harvest here in NC have been declared overfished for many years. I figure overfishing will continue until there is very little or nothing left to fish for. I am not surprised at all with the Alaska crab industry going flop.
Overfished was my first thought. I'm with Nic. Those blue crabs are some of the BEST!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I’ve never had Lobster! Not even a taste! Not because I don’t want to! It’s just so expensive! Like way higher than the the highest point on a hawgs back!

I’ll stick with crawfish and blue crabs! When I feel like doing all’at work for them little nibbles of meat!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I’ve never had Lobster! Not even a taste! Not because I don’t want to! It’s just so expensive! Like way higher than the the highest point on a hawgs back!

I’ll stick with crawfish and blue crabs! When I feel like doing all’at work for them little nibbles of meat!
You gotta eat at least one lobster before you leave this earth. You will not regret it. I promise. I sure don't eat as many as I would like, but when I do, I'm pretty close to heaven. :bounce: