I have long joked that I was too old to plant pecan trees (ongoing photos)

Jim Boyd

Hey Folks!

Well, Jo and I took the plunge.

We bought an old home place and house. The house was built in the 50’s (we think) and needs some updates but seems decent.

The yard is just under 4 acres, is flat and has 20+ mature pecan trees… and 3 pear trees that are just flat loaded this year, along with some mature live oaks.

The overall acreage is right at 57 and the place is crawling with wildlife.

In a best case scenario, it is directly adjacent to my leased ground (other side of a dirt road) – so access seems to be a dream. That time (right at 10 years now) has allowed me to see much of the wildlife traffic on this 57 acres.

The property is about half planted pine (maybe 8-10 years old – about 25- 40’ tall), a good bit of grown up cut down and some mature hardwoods down along the creek. Lots of water oaks and plenty of volunteer persimmons. The planted pines were not well managed and are grown up so thick you cannot walk throught them.

There is also a wet weather pond that looks like it keeps water MOST of the time – about an acre.

The place does lack mature trees for the most part but it is the most dense bedding cover in the area – and there are excellent open areas for crops / food plots, a good bit of which is driven by a powerline that bisects the property.

I see a lot of work out in front of us – but my bride Jo is excellent at home renovations – and I will attack the yard and then the acreage.

Plots, tree plantings, grafting persimmons, mowing, trail cutting – I will be working hard to improve the habitat.

This farm lies along side 247 acres of our leased ground that will be archery only starting in 2021 – and that farm is loaded with deer and turkey – so I am hopeful that the two properties can complement one another.

Pics to come!

Just wanted to share the good news – thanks for looking!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on y’all living the dream old fella!!!
Do y’all intend to ever live there?

Triple C

A HUGE congrats to you Jim! Land is like a member of the family. Your connection to it grows stronger with each passing year. Looking forward to the pics!

Jim Boyd

Congrats on y’all living the dream old fella!!!
Do y’all intend to ever live there?

Marvin,

Thank you, sir.

I would live here in a minute but the truth of it is that Jo and I are both anchored (no pun intended!) in salt water.

We are gonna retire in just over 3 years and will buy a place in Beaufort and split time between the two most likely.

I will spend more time at the farm than she will - particularly when the garden is going and obviously when I am hunting.

We stayed in the camper last night - hope to get a bedroom painted and get the bedroom furniture in - and sleep in the house tonight.

More pics to come!!!

C5E6B457-2A21-4757-B7D1-AE6DAB5D86B6.jpeg

DSGB

Congrats Jim!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Marvin,

Thank you, sir.

I would live here in a minute but the truth of it is that Jo and I are both anchored (no pun intended!) in salt water.

We are gonna retire in just over 3 years and will buy a place in Beaufort and split time between the two most likely.

I will spend more time at the farm than she will - particularly when the garden is going and obviously when I am hunting.

We stayed in the camper last night - hope to get a bedroom painted and get the bedroom furniture in - and sleep in the house tonight.

More pics to come!!!

View attachment 1020442

I can already see fruit trees in that open area next to the pecans. Beautiful place!!

Davexx1

Very nice! Congratulations on a great find. Life is always better when mind and body are occupied with fruits of your labor.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Hey Folks!

We bought an old home place and house. The house was built in the 50’s (we think) and needs some updates but seems decent.

The yard is just under 4 acres, is flat and has 20+ mature pecan trees… and 3 pear trees that are just flat loaded this year, along with some mature live oaks.

In a best case scenario, it is directly adjacent to my leased ground (other side of a dirt road) – so access seems to be a dream. That time (right at 10 years now) has allowed me to see much of the wildlife traffic on this 57 acres.

The property is about half planted pine (maybe 8-10 years old – about 25- 40’ tall), a good bit of grown up cut down and some mature hardwoods down along the creek. Lots of water oaks and plenty of volunteer persimmons. The planted pines were not well managed and are grown up so thick you cannot walk throught them.

There is also a wet weather pond that looks like it keeps water MOST of the time – about an acre.

The place does lack mature trees for the most part but it is the most dense bedding cover in the area – and there are excellent open areas for crops / food plots, a good bit of which is driven by a powerline that bisects the property.

I see a lot of work out in front of us – but my bride Jo is excellent at home renovations – and I will attack the yard and then the acreage.

Plots, tree plantings, grafting persimmons, mowing, trail cutting – I will be working hard to improve the habitat.

This farm lies along side 247 acres of our leased ground that will be archery only starting in 2021 – and that farm is loaded with deer and turkey – so I am hopeful that the two properties can complement one another.

Pics to come!

We may be old, but we have to live until we die. I'm not going to sit in a rocking chair and look at the obituary column as my entertainment. You and your bride did good on buying a place,now make it a show place.

oppthepop

Hey Folks!

Pics to come!

Congrats buddy!

SC Hunter

Congratulations to you and your wife!! I am sure you will both make it an awesome place! Enjoy it and again congratulations!

Jim Boyd

Ok... another work day begins.

We worked til 1000 last night and finally got one bedroom to where we could sleep in it. Cleaned, painted, curtains up and furniture in.

Jo is gonna start on the living room today and I am gonna keep working in the yard.

Will see if I can grab a few more pics of the place today.

Guys, thank you each for all the kind comments. Very much appreciated!

95E4E63F-0628-4ECD-9438-F6EF025EA455.jpegF7AD48F3-8196-482C-AB35-E62D89087526.jpeg

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Seems like y'all may have hit the jackpot on this one. Very happy for y'all!

Wishing y'all all the best, bud.

:cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Looks like you have a really nice place there, Jim. Make sure to plant a fig and Kiefer pear, if some are not there already. I`m proud for you.