I made a sheath for my Hank's Antler Hunter...

Doug B.

That looks really awesome! I really like how you incorporated the moccasin hide behind the coyote tooth. Did you tan the moccasin hide?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That looks really awesome! I really like how you incorporated the moccasin hide behind the coyote tooth. Did you tan the moccasin hide?

I guess the proper description would be salt cured snake hides. Skin it, staple it, salt it, and leave it alone until STIFF and DRY. Usually a few days.

Brush off the salt, and then buff it slick on the back side with 4/0 steel wool. Flip him over, and "pet him" the wrong way until the scales are all gone.

This leaves you with an easy to work with hide that'll last forever.

Little armor all wipe once in a while, and that's it.

Here's The Kid, working one...

IMG_20210524_164316846.jpg

He made this with a little supervision from Papa...

IMG_20210524_184655716.jpg

The piece for my sheath came from this one...

IMG_20210702_095318314.jpg

I like moccasin hides, if ya can't tell... ?

Doug B.

I guess the proper description would be salt cured snake hides. Skin it, staple it, salt it, and leave it alone until STIFF and DRY. Usually a few days.

Brush off the salt, and then buff it slick on the back side with 4/0 steel wool. Flip him over, and "pet him" the wrong way until the scales are all gone.

View attachment 1141887

View attachment 1141888

View attachment 1141889

That sounds really easy! I really like that hat band The Kid made. It really has a lot of color. For some reason I thought they were kinda drab colored. I have never seen one that I know of. We ain't got em up here in the mountains I don't reckon.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

View attachment 1141887

View attachment 1141888

View attachment 1141889

Exchange salt for 20 Mule Team Borax. I have a hatband that`s pushing 50 years old now that I did that way.

Anvil Head

Actually, you'll get even a better tanning affect if after scraping, drying and boraxing, to give it a good soak in "old school" antifreeze. Not tried the new stuff, but the glycerin in the AF will increase durability and life of the skin. No - it won't smell like the front end of your old '60s pickup once it dries.