I should have visited the Kettle Creek Battlefield sooner

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have lived most of my life within 40 miles of the Kettle Creek Battlefield in Wilkes County near the Taliaferro County line. I visited it for the first time yesterday on the way home from taking my Grandson out for his birthday lunch. I have been neglectful because even though the history of the Revolution interests me, the history of the Civil War interests me more. The site is in the middle of nowhere and not easy to get to and that did not help me put it higher on my list of things to see.

I should have gone much earlier. The battle was a minor affair. About 400 Patriots from SC and GA surprised about 800 Loyalists from NC who were on their way to try to join the English who had taken Augusta. It was important in that it was the first Patriot victory in the Georgia frontier country. I had studied up on the battle a bit before I went and viewing the terrain helped tremendously in understanding what happened there. They have acquired almost 250 acres that include the core of the battlefield. There are trails but my knee was not up to much trail walking through the pretty steeply rolling hills. The Federal government put up a monument there back in the 30s at the request of the DAR. I doubt that anyone affiliated with the cancel culture will ever be able to find it as the last mile or so of road is still dirt.

There was no one but me there during my visit and as with most battlefields that I have visited, I got a feeling of reverence there. When I got home I looked up the battle again on the internet and learned that the battlefield association had commissioned a very interesting archaeological study of the battlefield back in 2008. His report is included in full on their website and I spend another couple of hours going through it as it was very interesting.

He dug through a lot of historical documentation in addition to field work at the site. One tidbit that he uncovered was interesting in light of statements I have heard recently about how a militia would have no chance if shooting ever started. It illustrates a point that I believe that most of World has taken to heart concerning any thought of an invasion of America:

Baika Harvey, a young Scot newly arrived in Georgia, wrote back home to his godfather in 1775 with fearful praise of the marksmanship skills of the backwoods Georgians:

I am Just Returned from the Back parts where I seed Eight Thousand men in arms all with Riffeld Barrill guns which they can hit the Bigness of a Dollar between Two & Three hundreds yards Distance the Little Boys not Bigger than my self has all their Guns & marches with their Fathers & all their Cry is Liberty or Death Dear Godfather tell all my Country people not to come here for the Americans will kill them Like Dear in the Woods & they will never see them they can lie on their Backs & Load & fire & every time they draws sight at anything they are sure to kill or Creple & they Run in the Woods like Horses I seed the Liberty Boys take Between Two & Three hundred Torreys & one Liberty man would take & Drive four or five before him Just as shepards do the sheep in our Cuntry & they have taken all their arms from them and put the head men in gaile (Harvey 1775 in Davis 2006:3-4).

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Very interesting. It’s something I wasn’t aware of. I definitely need to research the Revolution in the south as I’ve not come across a lot of information

Resica

I have lived most of my life within 40 miles of the Kettle Creek Battlefield in Wilkes County near the Taliaferro County line. I visited it for the first time yesterday on the way home from taking my Grandson out for his birthday lunch. I have been neglectful because even though the history of the Revolution interests me, the history of the Civil War interests me more. The site is in the middle of nowhere and not easy to get to and that did not help me put it higher on my list of things to see.

I should have gone much earlier. The battle was a minor affair. About 400 Patriots from SC and GA surprised about 800 Loyalists from NC who were on their way to try to join the English who had taken Augusta. It was important in that it was the first Patriot victory in the Georgia frontier country. I had studied up on the battle a bit before I went and viewing the terrain helped tremendously in understanding what happened there. They have acquired almost 250 acres that include the core of the battlefield. There are trails but my knee was not up to much trail walking through the pretty steeply rolling hills. The Federal government put up a monument there back in the 30s at the request of the DAR. I doubt that anyone affiliated with the cancel culture will ever be able to find it as the last mile or so of road is still dirt.

There was no one but me there during my visit and as with most battlefields that I have visited, I got a feeling of reverence there. When I got home I looked up the battle again on the internet and learned that the battlefield association had commissioned a very interesting archaeological study of the battlefield back in 2008. His report is included in full on their website and I spend another couple of hours going through it as it was very interesting.

He dug through a lot of historical documentation in addition to field work at the site. One tidbit that he uncovered was interesting in light of statements I have heard recently about how a militia would have no chance if shooting ever started. It illustrates a point that I believe that most of World has taken to heart concerning any thought of an invasion of America:
I'm in the same boat as you. I live probably 20 minutes from the Brandywine Battlefield(they say the largest battle in the Revolution). I've never actually been to the park( It's pretty small I think). Lot of Revolutionary war history within minutes of me and the only place I've been is Valley Forge(drive through it a couple times a month) and it isn't a battlefield.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Very interesting. It’s something I wasn’t aware of. I definitely need to research the Revolution in the south as I’ve not come across a lot of information

Yep, another interesting bit about this battle is that there were no English present for the fight. It was 100% American Patriots against American Loyalists. In the back country of Georgia the Revolution was a Civil War with Americans fighting each other, neighbors fighting each other, with Indians joining in occasionally for their own reasons.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One of our hunting leases is just a few miles from there in Taliaferro County. We haven’t visited the battle site in quite a few years. Thanks for the posted information. I will try to visit again soon.

My McLeod's were SC loyalists fresh off the boat in 1775. That how my bunch ended up in Mississippi Territory later to be Alabama. It was still Spanish Florida when they "left" the Carolinas.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Jim,
Thanks for sharing this with others.

I know that there are lots of historical events that happened both in Lincoln and Wilkes County and I am amazed at the raw courage that some of these people had back then as they fought in some deadly battles back then.

In Lincoln County. the Elijah Clark State Park has a museum that is open on certain intervals that shows just how tough life was during some of those battles. I know that Elijah Clark was somewhat of a hero during some of his battles as well. This area is filled with surprising history of battles that ultimately made us just who we became today as a result.

The following is a link for the Lincoln County battle site:

http://www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute221/clark/default.htm

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yes, sir. Clark commanded the left wing during the battle and is responsible for the final rout of the Loyalists who were being rallied on the far side of Kettle Creek.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Your link has a picture of the dog trot log cabin at Elija Clark State Park. Very good friends of mine and neighbors used to staff that building in period costume. Some of the reproduction items in that cabin were made by my Dad. Earlier those same folks participated in a similar fashion at a cabin at Wrightsboro across the road from the old church.

It's a small world.

westcobbdog

Thanks for posting. Sounds like our troops used the terrain to their advantage . One key word for our side in this deadly affair is having a number of rifled barrels vs more inaccurate muskets. Read where the first rifled barrels in the South were called Weber’s I think and came from Germany. Like Justus I too have followed the War of Northern Aggression mush closer but realize it’s time to diversify some with such an awe inspiring subject and at least 3-4 soldiers that I know of. Learned recently where a patriot descendant had 2 Brothers killed at Eutaw Springs in SC. Perhaps he was at Kettle Creek, too. I always thought the battle was Patriots vs regular British troops and some Indians.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks for posting. Sounds like our troops used the terrain to their advantage . One key word for our side in this deadly affair is having a number of rifled barrels vs more inaccurate muskets. Read where the first rifled barrels in the South were called Weber’s I think and came from Germany. Like Justus I too have followed the War of Northern Aggression mush closer but realize it’s time to diversify some with such an awe inspiring subject and at least 3-4 soldiers that I know of. Learned recently where a patriot descendant had 2 Brothers killed at Eutaw Springs in SC. Perhaps he was at Kettle Creek, too. I always thought the battle was Patriots vs regular British troops and some Indians.

Since you found that information on my kin, David Edenfield, The Redhead is doing more research on him. I wonder if he was involved in this battle? My interest in this War has been rekindled, and I thank you for it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@Nicodemus, finding what Revolutionary soldier was at what battle is going to be awfully tough, especially in GA/SC as a lot of the fighting here was done by the Militia/Minute Men and all were not able to get together for every engagement that their leader participated in. From the location of some of your ancestors it would be very logical that they fought with Lt. Col. Elija Clark from Lincoln County. He was at that battle commanding about 60 GA troops on the left. Col. John Dooly had about 100 Ga troops on the right and Col. Andrew Pickens had about 200 SC troops in the center.

It should be remembered that Militia Units were raised by County in GA and Counties in the late 1700s were different from today. Back then
Wilkes County contained what is now: Hart, Madison, Elbert, Oglethorpe, Wilkes, Lincoln, and parts of Tallafiero, & Warren. Richmond County contained what is now: Columbia, McDuffie, and parts of Warren, Glascock, and Jefferson.

All the Patriots that are known to have been present are listed on a monument at the site, but there exists some doubt about some of those listed and it is known that many who were there are not listed.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
In looking back at my first post I see that I accidentally deleted the most interesting part of it. In 2008 the Kettle Creek Battlefield Association commissioned an archaeological study of the battlefield area designed to map out the actual area of the battle from evidence on the ground. The guy that did it also did a lot of research and it makes for a very interesting read. Some of it is dry, as you would expect, but most of it had me enthralled. It is published under the title: Stirring Up a Hornet’s Nest: The Kettle Creek Battlefield Survey.

Nick, One of the things they found was a polished celt. I don't suppose it was actually used at the battle, but who knows. Much of the Militia in tht period volunteered without arms and were armed with whatever could be had. LOL

There is a link to the battlefield survey at the website of the battlefield association here: kettlecreekbattlefield.com/

Here is a direct link to the document:
thelamarinstitute.org/images/PDFs/publication_131.pdf

They have since searched for and located probably burial sites on the battlefield.

Artfuldodger

One aspect I never even thought about until reading about this battle a couple years ago was how much the Revolutionary War was also a civil war. Estimates of the number of Loyalists range as high as 500,000, or 20 percent of the white population of the colonies. That's the number who actually took up arms. I would assume there were many more who didn't.
There were also Indian and Black Loyalist.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Visited that place when I lived in Crawfordville. It was purdy neat mto get to see, though there isn't much to it.

The Indian side would be revisited a few years later in the War of 1812. Most all of the action in the south, save for Jackson vs Pakenham at News Orleans, was a civil war within the Creeks and their neighbors.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Visited that place when I lived in Crawfordville. It was purdy neat mto get to see, though there isn't much to it.

There are trails now around the core of the battlefield with interpretive markers. I think they have marked the potential military interrments at the old church site but I am not sure as I wasn't able to do the trails.

Latest posts