I should have visited the Kettle Creek Battlefield sooner

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
There are trails now around the core of the battlefield with interpretive markers. I think they have marked the potential military interrments at the old church site but I am not sure as I wasn't able to do the trails.
That's cool, when I went it wasn't much more than a monument and a historical marker. But that has been about 8 or 10 years ago.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Follow the link above to the archaeological study. It is very interesting and makes what you see on the ground there understandable.

The hilltop where the monuments are was center of the battleground and had a rail fence across it generally East to West. The Loyalist camp was behind the hill on the Kettle Creek side. The Patriots attacked from the North with skirmishers out. The skirmishers fired too soon and alerted the Loyalists who got about 100 men formed up behind that fence. They received the center of the Patriot attack from the SC troops. The GA troops on each wing hit the flanks. The Loyalist commander went down early and the air went out of his troops. They were leaving the field by crossing Kettle Creek and were being successfully rallied on the opposite side of he creek. Elijah Clark who was on the left saw what was happening and called to his 50 or so men to follow him across the creek. Only about 25 heard him but that was enough to break up the rally and send the remaining Loyalists on down the road toward Augusta minus a lot of horses, weapons, and supplies.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Cool spot with an interesting history. Lived on the Wilkes/Taliaferro line for a long time. Speaking of Kettle Creek, anyone know if Boots Gunter is still alive?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Cool spot with an interesting history. Lived on the Wilkes/Taliaferro line for a long time. Speaking of Kettle Creek, anyone know if Boots Gunter is still alive?

Nevermind. Just found his obit in the Washington News Reporter. He was a good guy.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If you have an interest in history, especially military history, I would recommend a visit. If you want a good understanding of what happened there before you go see the link at post #15.

georgia_home

brandywine is interesting. Having been raised just to the side of that river, all the grade schools took trips there… and of course valley forge.

run on by when you have time. Side trip: chadds ford winery.

best dessert whine, Niagara, grapey flavor, very sweet. lobotomy in a bottle. will be super mellow by the time you’re done.

I'm in the same boat as you. I live probably 20 minutes from the Brandywine Battlefield(they say the largest battle in the Revolution). I've never actually been to the park( It's pretty small I think). Lot of Revolutionary war history within minutes of me and the only place I've been is Valley Forge(drive through it a couple times a month) and it isn't a battlefield.

georgia_home

was just at Yorktown a few weeks back. It’s inspiring to say the least. Cannonball stuck in the side of a house.

3C40DAD1-5401-4AAF-920F-90726A8B3869.jpeg85C1760B-3404-4F32-AC74-D177364BA8AE.jpegDE849BB9-5A8C-466C-B6B9-7659F4155508.jpeg