In a pinch...

Browtine

Ok, let me preface my comments on this product so everyone understands that I know what "good" is... :bounce:

Long story short, I had to work on Thanksgiving Day this year. My two favorite meals of the year are Thanksgiving Day and Christmas...or they were... because every single year since I was old enough to eat solid food I have had homemade cornbread dressing with ham. As much as I enjoy other foods, these two things together just say "Thanksgiving" and "Christmas" dinner to me...

My Mother made the best chicken dressing EVER! Since she died I've had good dressing, but not "HER" dressing. All was well... And here's where things get ugly. Remember I missed Thanksgiving... Ok, I'm off for Christmas so I'm thinkin' I'll eat enough then to make up for that. Well, my step-mother decides that we're doing...MEXICAN... for Christmas. It's a good thing profanity is not allowed here! I protested as adamantly as I could without being ugly about it... but it made no difference.

Not wanting to totally give up I found a few recipes that I think might be close to Mom's, or at least "not bad" and plan to make my own. Well, between me bein' sick and havin' two sick kids for the last week I ain't felt like messin' with it... so I had pretty much given up on gettin' any. It wasn't the end of the world, but understand that this is a Christmas "tradition" for me, and my family. Something that was a part of what made these holidays what they were. It also threw another straw on the pile that piles up on my back during this time of year since Mom passed away... Ya'll get the point.

So I'm at the grocery store last night getting a few things I needed and saw "Aunt Pearlie's Cornbread Dressing" in the frozen section for $2.98 a pan. I'm thinkin' for $3 if it isn't good I'm not out more than what a Big Mac would have cost me... Hmmm.

Fast forward to this morning at around 10:00... I preheat the oven as directed and slap it in the oven. I also throw together a makeshift "giblet" gravy without the giblets using butter, flour, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, dried onion flakes, salt/pepper and sage. I plate me and the kids some of Aunt Pearlie's dressin' with a little of my gravy and side it with some of an awesome smoked ham a good friend of mine done and we go at it.

And now for the comment I typed all of this to preface... Aunt Pearlie's dressin' was "good". Not Mom good, not quite step-mom good (acually really close!), but all things considered... it was good. Between the three of us a little more than half the pan was gone! The pan was probably 6" X 12" or so... My boy ate about five kid sized helpings. He ain't ate that good in two weeks.

Anyway, if you're in a pinch like I was and can't really mess with makin' yer own... give ol' Aunt Pearlie's a try. I got it at Ingles. Not sure where else it might be found. Here's a link to a little write-up on it.

Aunt Pearlie's Dressing Article

Just sayin'... ;)

Browtine

And in all honesty I'm probably not giving this stuff enough credit. The more I think about it... it's pretty darn good, frozen or not. I can only think of three I've had that were better. Moms, step-mom's and my Grandmother's. That rates this stuff up there pretty high.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Glad you were able to find some (sounds like) much needed compromise/gratification:cool:

Merry Christmas!!! :cheers:

Nytrobud1

I cooked two pawns of corn bread this morning for tomorrows dressing

Browtine

Gotta try that one for sure.
Kick Womack for me!!
Happy New Year!!

Will do. How you been? Haven't talked to ya in a while. I still need to get down there and test drive that Stumps! My money sort of went south on me for a while but hopefully I'll be able to do something a little further down the road.

blues brother

Anytime you want to come on down, feel free...even bring womak ifin you can stand to be with him for the ride...
Stumps Smokers just posted a heck of a deal tonight, hard to pass on this one.
Like I said, anytime you want to come down and cook on my Stumps, just let me know...the Barn is open to ya my brother!